Pajama Pants Sans Pockets??

ThatGuyJ

Trigger warning - I'm gonna talk about the need for pants without pockets. I'm well aware of the problem with clothing targeted toward women that either don't have pockets or the pockets that are there are functionally useless. I agree that it is not right. Everyone should have access to adequate pockets. I'm 100% with you on the need for pockets and if there isn't already a brand that's whole selling point is the fact that the pockets are great then here is your sign of a gap in the market to shoehorn a business. The following idea has gotten me yelled at by a few women and I know that I'm speaking from a place of pocket privilege (I should trademark that bit{on second thought, nope it's terrible}) but please know that I'm sincere in this idea/request and I hope others have this same idea that would result in a future product that could be used by anyone.

Ok, with that declared, allow me to request some pajama pants without pockets. Maybe it's just me, but I find pockets on pajama pants highly annoying and uncomfortable. Now lets add some details to the scenario or fuel to the fire. I'm a 6'1" male (the height is important in a minute). I've owned various pajama pants over the years and the pockets always become a problem. After a few washes the pockets never lay flat. They bunch up causing pressure points right on the hips. I never use the pockets since I only wear them while sleeping. I know people wear pajama pants as their normal house wear or even for going out and for those people I say you do you and be comfortable while you are doing it. I don't need pockets in sleepwear. I think it really comes down to the pockets being designed poorly. They all come in from the seams from the sides. Gravity alone will cause them to sag and fold or bunch up. Different styles of pockets may be able to fix the issue but I haven't seen anyone doing anything else. Now someone smort out there might say "just buy women's pajama pants, they never have pockets" and I would agree but here is where that tall thing comes in. Being 6'1" I have to buy tall pajama pants to actually cover my legs during these cold months and tall sizes for women is basically a unicorn. If you do find women's tall pajama pants there are almost no details about actual length so it's a gamble as to whether they will be long enough. I'm also not against buying women's clothing. My sleep shorts for the warm months are some women's sweat pants that are cut off into shorts and they are great because they are comfortable and have no pockets. The only solution for pants that I've found that works consistently is to buy men's tall pants and sew the pockets down when I first buy them (pre-wash) so that washing and gravity has minimal effect on the pockets. Again, maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm doing life wrong. Just throwing it out there in case there are others that are tired of the pockets.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:43 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

Okay but why not take it to someone who can sew and have them sew the pocket shut?

Even better you can probably cut the pocket right out and sew the hole shut that way it's the best of both 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I can do the sewing no problem, and I've had good results doing so. I'm just lazy and don't want to, and I still have a hard time understanding why anyone would want pockets in sleepwear. Cutting off the pockets and just sewing it up isn't that simple. It can totally be done but one would have to make sure they don't end up making a sloppy seam that would fray easily, or too thick of a seam that would just exacerbate the pressure point problem when sleeping on your side. Most likely this is an issue for me alone so I'll just stick with sewing the pockets flat (least effort for near maximum results) and be thankful my sleep issues can be solved with a little effort and not suffer from much deeper issues.

How do you fold your laundry? I find pants end up a lot flatter when folded 

Also pockets are nice as I wear PJs for loungewear and not for sleeping in 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers