Worried about my 3DMark Speed Way score with ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC

ResurrectorRTX

Hi guys and a Happy New Year to all of you!

I recently built a new system with an i9-13900K on an ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero board, an ROG Strix RTX 4090 OC, 64GB DDR5-5600 RAM, two Samsung 990 Pro SSDs etc.

After having hopefully solved my black screen issues with my card by reinstalling the drivers after removing them using DDU in safe mode (black screens in idle mode or YouTube videos) I ran a few 3DMark tests.

I don't quite remember the other scores but my Speed Way result got me worried a little.

I'm getting around 9200-9300 points (around 92-93 average FPS) at the end while having seen results around 9900-10000 points with other cards like the 4090 FE or 4090 TUF (OC).

My card is fueled by a Corsair HXi Series HX1500i PSU using a custom CableMod extension cable with 16-Pin to 4x 8-Pin plugs. I got four separate cables attached to each connector of the CableMod 12VHPWR extension.

My card is running in stock OC mode (2640 MHz) with a 120% power target (nearly 600W) and reaches around 2860-2865 MHz and 99% usage during the test.

Is this result normal or is it underperforming? I'm not getting any crashes or such things and got all power management options disabled in the BIOS (ASPM etc.) and in Windows.

If you got a similar configuration, what results are you getting in Speed Way?

Thanks for reading. 🙂

Hello,

wow we have nearly the same Specs 😅👍

I have the 13900KF, Asus Thor PSU (with a direct power cable from PSU to GPU) and Z790-F board.

But also the Strix 4090 OC, 64GB of DDR5-5600 RAM and 2 x 990 Pro in RAID0.

Do you run Windows 10? I read today that it may limit performance of the "newest Hardware". But I haven't had time to look into it yet.

I will run the Speed Way benchmark when I get home, to compare 👍

Haha, yeah, pretty much similar specs but I'm not running my SSDs in RAID mode, just one for the OS and programs and the other one for games only. 😁

Nope, I'm running Windows 11 Pro and didn't have any issues with it so far.

I was able to test an MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio from a friend in my system and the result was around 9800-9900 points for some reason. I'm wondering what's going on as that card should not be more powerful than my Strix OC card and it's limited to 450W compared to the full available power on my card (600W). 🤔 Haven't changed anything else. All drivers, BIOS versions (board and GPU) and Windows are up to date.

@ResurrectorRTX -   I have a TUF 4090 OC, 12900k, Z690 Hero and 32GB of 6200MT/s Corsair RAM and score a tad over 10k in Speedway without an overclock (average clock was 2759MHz for my run). One thing that you might want to check is whether you have VBS (Virtualization-based security) disabled - this may be hindering your score. If you have uploaded your Speedway run to UL, you can see whether VBS is enabled or not at the bottom of the General section for the run.

I just ran Speed Way 2 times and got a score of about 10 000 I set it to the standard OC-Mode in GPU Tweak 3 as well.

I think you have to adjust the voltage and maybe the curve as well, if you want to make use of the higher power target though. (I hit max 90% power target)

Seems like your card is slightly underperforming yeah, did you maybe bump the "Q Mode" switch on the card itself so it uses the "quiet bios"?

18 minutes ago, TomSerious said:

<snip>

Seems like your card is slightly underperforming yeah, did you maybe bump the "Q Mode" switch on the card itself so it uses the "quiet bios"?

I was under the impression that the 2 VBIOS' (at least on ASUS cards) have the same power target with the "Quiet" VBIOS simply having a more relaxed fan curve. What could be happening with the quiet BIOS may run the card hotter and GPU Boost 3.0 would be sitting at a lower step in the frequency table due to higher temperatures.

@ResurrectorRTX needs to post his Speedway run to for a better picture as-to-what may be happening.

Thanks for all your help, guys! Indeed, I had VBS/HVCI activated in my BIOS settings so surely turned those off (Intel VMX and VT-d).

But that was actually not the cause! I had the memory ECC function enabled in the NVIDIA control panel and from what I read, it kinda limits the memory bandwidth which resulted in lower FPS and final score.

Disabled it, rebooted, ran Speed Way again and boom, got roughly 100-110 FPS which gave me a final score of 10070 points. So I guess this problem is solved. 😁

What I don't understand is why every time any 3DMark test finishes, I get an application error entry in the event viewer saying it crashed and creates a DMP file in the appdata folder. I don't get any black screens etc. and if I didn't look into the event viewer, I wouldn't have even known that it crashes somehow in the background... 🧐 Played a bit of MW2 and started the campaign of NFS Unbound for a couple of hours and didn't experience any crashes or similar issues.