Play PC games with an ol'Skool Xbox OG Controller from the 2000's

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd share an application that hasn't seen much traction other than hard google searching lol; Xb2Input. 

After doing a few quick searches on the LTT forums, I wasn't able to find anything relatable that was public, so I think this might be a first post of its kind?... Please correct me if I am wrong and if the creator "emoose" can find my messages on GitHub, that would be wonderful 🙂

I've never quite shared anything that I've programmed in the past before, and I've wanted to tip my hat into the programming community ring I suppose lol.. I am very much a n00b when it comes to programming, please don't take this the wrong way as I've spent serval days working on a small C# separate project for the Xb2Input app (that was lovely written by emoose on Github).

Behind the idea I had is that I absolutely loved Xb2Input so much that I needed to write something that would quickly work for me, improving Xb2Input's quality of life in a more formal way, since I have it setup on more than one of my PCs..

So here is what I came up with; The Xbox OG Kit

https://github.com/JustTrev/Xbox-S-Controller/tree/master

The Xbox OG Kit, is a frontend API that enables you to adjust and configure any old Original Xbox Controller without the hassle of too much human intervention when it comes to setting up Xb2Input (i.e. making changes to it's ".ini" file, then relaunch Xb2Input to see the changes take affect).  

The kit comes with an installer I am also building from the ground up for it called the "XboxOG Kit Installer" and it's responsible for unpacking and setting up the Xbox OG Kit, ViGEmBus and Xb2Input with all of its components.  Without them, Xb2Input would be rendered useless, and my project a total waste of time.

This is my Xbox OG Kit in a nutshell. I hope this helps anyone who needs a quicker fix for their solution when it comes to using any old Original Xbox type controller and or would prefer a more user friendly experience when attempting to test any of them in the process on PC?

You can download the zipped installer below. 

I would love to hear any feedback about the the Kit and if there are any bugs you may find to please report them here or with special features you would like to see added to the Xbox OG Kit on GitHub as well.

To those who would like to enhance this project further, please contact me directly on GitHub as I am very careful about my work.

I would like to give an honorable mention to emoose on GitHub for making this a reality in the first place and I hope to see a new update come out of Xb2Input soon!! 🙂 

I am so thankful I am able to use my ultimate favorite controller of all time again!!!!! 🎮🥰

Xbox OG Kit:

Download Zip: XboxOGSystem.zip v2.0

Source: https://github.com/JustTrev/Xbox-S-Controller/releases/tag/XboxController

About - A frontend user interface for Xb2Input with included requirements package.

Current Supported Platform: Windows 10+

Image Snapshots:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.033b46e58790b390dd6bcd000f3a0f82.png

image.png.8a63dfac60cb43a29c46426aaa6b66e9.png

Xbox OG Kit Installer includes:

XboxOG Kit v2.0

• Xb2Inputv1.5c with driver packages

• ViGEmBus Setup 1.21.442

Current Release Notes v2.0:

Spoiler

Current Release Notes: 2.0

Notes: 

Added

• Detect controller and button presses from within Xbox OG Kit.
• The installer will create a new registry key item for installation for future support to Xbox OG Kit and potentially the Xb2Input project (TBD) and uninstallation process.

• The setup will install all the necessary files and run them without much human intervention.

• The Installer places shortcuts in the Start Menu after installing, so finding the Xbox OG Kit should be easy. (Now auto launches Xb2Input by default at Startup)

• The settings drop down has been rearranged to properly configure other applications needs.

• Background now uses the latest dashboard theme. (Soon to use a realtime 3D background with sound!).

• You can edit the guide button mappings in order to use the guide menu.

• You can enable or disable the controller vibration.

• The Triggers and Stick Dead Zones can be tested.

• Installer now has an Icon for easier installation.

• Added to Windows startup support.(you can find this in the Settings>Xb2Input dropdown.

Fixed

• Fix installer to restart PC when checkbox is checked at the final stage of installation. (This is supposed to be working but it isn't. Manual restarts will be necessary after the installer has finished.)
• Open Xb2Input when launching Xbox OG Kit, if it is not already running.  (Working)

• Remove the guide button checkboxes and info key when "Enable Guide?" is disabled. (Working)
• Windows 11 wont start the toolbar services (i.e No clock, speakers or anything) if a controller is plugged in upon after a reboot after logging in. Current work around is reboot and disconnect your controller until after login. (This seems to have gone away. Clear to proceed!!!)

To-Do:

• Swap buttons with Remap Controller enabled.

• Run analog Driver Installer batch script in background to update the installer progressbar.

• Look into installing ViGEmBus silently or without human intervention completely.

• Update the background controller image to show the right connected controller, based on it's serial number. (such as racing wheel, or madcatz wireless controllers, etc.)

• Detect the Xbox Communicator and it's serial number for full headset support and Xbox Original style voice changer. (might need to make a sound device driver for this to happen much like the controllers).

• Add an Uninstaller for Xbox OG Kit to remove all of it's contents.

Known Bugs:

• Other controller accessories such as the headset communicator, might cause Xb2Input from being able to detect your controller. (Work around - Disconnect controller and remove accessories before reconnecting your controller into your PC. Let Xb2Input detect your controller first before plugging in any accessory into the controller.)

Past Release Notes v1.0:

Spoiler

Notes:

• The installer will create a new registry key item for installation for future support to Xbox OG Kit and potentially the Xb2Input project (TBD). 

• The setup will install all the necessary files and run them without much human intervention.

• The Installer places shortcuts in the Start Menu after installing, so finding the Xbox OG Kit should be easy. 

• You can launch Xb2Input from the Settings dropdown menu within the Xbox OG Kit.

• Saving controller layout and clicking Apply, will close and restart Xb2Input if it is not already running.

• You can edit the guide button mappings in order to use the guide menu. 

• You can enable or disable the controller vibration.

• The Triggers and Stick Dead Zones can be fully adjusted.

• Xbox Memory Units are detected in Windows and can be used as stroage. (USB 1.0 Devices)

• See different button icons if games were designed with either the Xbox 360 or Xbox One controllers in mind. (wish all game devs added all the button icons and detected any controller precisely, including analog controllers somehow).

To-Do:

• Fix installer to restart PC when checkbox is checked at the final stage of installation. (This is supposed to be working but it isn't. Manual restarts will be necessary after the installer has finished.)

• Swap buttons with Remap Controller enabled.

• Run analog Driver Installer batch script in background to update the installer progressbar.

• Open Xb2Input when launching Xbox OG Kit, if it is not already running. (This does not work in the beta release)

• Add Windows startup support. (This works natively within Xb2Input at this time).   

• Detect controller and button presses from within Xbox OG Kit.

• Look into installing ViGEmBus silently or without human intervention completely.

• Update the background controller image to show the right connected controller, based on it's serial number. (such as racing wheel, or madcatz wireless controllers, etc.)

• Remove the guide button checkboxes and info key when "Enable Guide?" is disabled. (unchecked)

• Detect the Xbox Communicator and it's serial number for full headset support and Xbox Original style voice changer. (might need to make a sound device driver for this to happen much like the controllers).

• Add an Uninstaller for Xbox OG Kit to remove all of it's contents.

Known Bugs:

• Other controller accessories such as the headset communicator, might cause Xb2Input from being able to detect your controller. (Work around - Disconnect controller and remove accessories before reconnecting your controller into your PC. Let Xb2Input detect your controller first before plugging in any accessory into the controller.)

• Windows 11 wont start the toolbar services (i.e No clock, speakers or anything) if a controller is plugged in upon after a reboot after logging in. Current work around is reboot and disconnect your controller until after login. (This issue is Not present in Windows 10 at this time .) 

XboxOGKit Project Bones:

https://github.com/JustTrev/Xbox-S-Controller

About - Xbox OG Kit is a frontend user interface for Xb2Input with included requirements to support Original Xbox Controllers for PC.

Xb2Input Source:
https://github.com/emoose/Xb2XInput

About - XB2X: User-mode Windows driver for Xbox OG controllers, supporting both XInput and DirectInput.

ViGEmBus Source:

https://github.com/ViGEm/ViGEmBus/releases/tag/v1.21.442.0

About - Windows kernel-mode driver emulating well-known USB game controllers.

Edited by BLOODEDCYBORG
New update to XboxOGKit

I unfortunately wouldn't be surprised there's not a lot of traction, microsoft makes searching anything xbox a total nightmare to search for through nonsense naming schemes. I did a USB mod for my original S controller by just carving out the 360 usb breakaway a bit wider since my breakaway already had bent pins. Also for so many years despite it just being a USB controller the recommendation was to just buy a 360 controller.

I remember all of the driver projects used to require disabling driver signing and all sorts of other things that you really don't want to do, even more so nowadays as you'll probably get kicked or banned by anticheats like EAC, ect. Its really great to see there's a user mode driver for modern windows operating systems!

If it's any help to anyone else, original xbox controllers seem to have support on linux. My experience with a couple distros is that all I've had to do is plug it in and it just worked out of the box.

16 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

I unfortunately wouldn't be surprised there's not a lot of traction, microsoft makes searching anything xbox a total nightmare to search for through nonsense naming schemes. I did a USB mod for my original S controller by just carving out the 360 usb breakaway a bit wider since my breakaway already had bent pins. Also for so many years despite it just being a USB controller the recommendation was to just buy a 360 controller.

Lol yeah I thought M$ would be behind all non-bing results lol jk I've tried to avoid doing that to mine for over 20 years xD but I have like 7 of them lying around in a bin now in a back room.. (I'mma all growed up now 😞 )

16 hours ago, Slayer3032 said:

I remember all of the driver projects used to require disabling driver signing and all sorts of other things that you really don't want to do, even more so nowadays as you'll probably get kicked or banned by anticheats like EAC, ect. Its really great to see there's a user mode driver for modern windows operating systems!

If it's any help to anyone else, original xbox controllers seem to have support on linux. My experience with a couple distros is that all I've had to do is plug it in and it just worked out of the box.

+💜 

I wish M$ would update their xinput driver that was used to translate these old gamepads. But time will forever tell lol