My computer has trouble booting into windows and I cannot install any nvidia drivers.

NaxorZ
Go to solution Solved by NaxorZ,

Hi again!

I ended up borrowing a computer and installing my CPU, harddrive and GPU in that setup. Problem did still persist. I swapped my CPU to his CPU and the problem went away.

I could boot into windows normally again and install drivers.

I ended up buying a 5800x3D as a replacement for the 5900X and the computer is working now.

So to sum up:

I have the exact same setup as before but a 5800x3D instead. Hope this helps somebody.

Note: The 5900X still works with the gtx 970 I used while troubleshooting for some reason.

Specs: 
Ryzen 5900X
Asus Rog X570-F Gaming motherboard
32 gb corsair vengeance RGB ram
Corsair RM850X power supply
MSI Suprim X 3080 LHR
H100i with RGB fans
Samsung Evo 970 1TB M.2

Hi everyone!

My computer has trouble booting into windows and I cannot install any nvidia drivers.

So first of all the screen freezes when the spinning windows dots appear on the screen. Fans spin normally and still light up. When I press reset and the computer tries to load windows it happens again. When I enter safe mode I can uninstall the driver 
under display adapters and I mark the checkbox for deleting the driver aswell. When I restart I can get into windows but the dots freeze for 1-3 seconds before it lands on the login screen in windows. 
This allows me to get into windows normally.

When I access device manager and click on display adapters the 3080 shows up. Nvidia control panel also shows my 3080 under system information with the driver version as 516.94. The BIOS also identify the graphics card.

When I download for example the 527.56 driver and start the install it reaches about 1/4 of the way and the screen goes black. It never turns on again. Here I'm forced to reset the computer and restart the process of removing the driver using DDU in windows safe mode.

What I've tested with no luck:
Installing the graphics drivers without and with geforce experience.
Tested my ram in a friends computer, seems to work fine.
Tested my 3080 graphics card in his computer, no problem. Here we could install drivers and use it for gaming. Windows boot just fine and no freeze
Completly wipe the hard drive and installed a new windows, did not help. 
Installed the hard drive in my friends computer and it works fine. Boots as it should. Did not work in my computer.
Updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.
Tested another screen.
Tested another display port cable.
Tested all different outputs on the graphics card.
Tested his power supply Corsair RM750X in my computer. No difference. (spinning dots freezes)
Tested his graphics card (3070) in my computer and same error happens. (spinning dots freezes)
Tested the other PCI-E x16 slot on the motherboard.
Changed PCI-E version to 3 instead of 4 in the bios.
Turned off CMS.
Turned off Secure boot.
Turned off fast boot.
Unplugged all usb devices.
Run memory diagnostics in windows, no errors found.
Take out the CMOS battery.
Disable hardware acceleration in windows
DDU from safe mode in windows.
Uninstalled the driver using device manager in safe mode.
Set the preferred power option to maximum performance in nvidia control panel.
Installed the latest windows updates.

Might be placebo but I think it booted "better" in the second PCI-E slot but still showed a wierd behavior.

When checking in Event Viewer in Windows I could see the error :
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found.

The graphics card is running with three separate PCI-E power cables from the power supply, no daisy chains.
When we tested the 3080 in my friends computer it ran just fine with two separate cables but one of them daisy chained

Temperatures for both the CPU and the GPU are fine.

The PC has been running just fine for over a year connected to a Samsung Odyssey G9 (not neo) without any issues.

Shortly before this happened I played Escape from Tarkov and the whole screen froze still showing a picture and the computer recovered. When I checked the twitch stream I was watching it was showing green. 
I could play youtube vidoes but the video showed up as green.

Does anyone have any idea what I can try?
I have not tried to update the graphics card bios since it worked just fine in my friends computer.
I have also not tried to use a completly new motherboard in my computer although many of my computers components have been tested in his.
The cables used were from my power supply when we tested his.

My friends specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8GHz 70MB
Gigabyte X570 UD
HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Fury
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Corsair RM750X 750W v2
ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 8GB TUF GAMING OC v2

How did you reinstall Windows before? Did you create a Windows media install tool and booted off of that?

Just now, firestronk said:

How did you reinstall Windows before? Did you create a Windows media install tool and booted off of that?

Yes, exactly!

1 minute ago, NaxorZ said:

Yes, exactly!

What version of Windows is this? When you boot your pc, can you let it freeze, reset it, boot it into safe mode, and then check the system logs in event viewer? I'm curious if Windows generates any useful entries in there.

1 minute ago, firestronk said:

What version of Windows is this? When you boot your pc, can you let it freeze, reset it, boot it into safe mode, and then check the system logs in event viewer? I'm curious if Windows generates any useful entries in there.

It is Windows 10 Home.  I will try to check.

19 minutes ago, firestronk said:

I've attached the log file from safe mode. I could recreate it now 2023-01-02 if it makes it easier to read.

Events.txt

1 minute ago, NaxorZ said:

I've attached the log file from safe mode. I could recreate it now 2023-01-02 if it makes it easier to read.

Events.txt 674.88 kB · 1 download

Can you try sending that a different way or sending it again? It says that it's not accessible.

Can you try to create a fresh install of a Windows install media on a USB drive and run through the whole Windows install process again? Take note of how Windows handles the install. Does it still freeze on the first boot after the install is complete, any black screens or color differences, etc.?

its a really good system with some of the worst ram possible,  thats my suggestion where to start here. get better ram (like gskill Trident z) and *only* 2 sticks (kit)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

its a really good system with some of the worst ram possible,  thats my suggestion where to start here. get better ram (like gskill Trident z) and *only* 2 sticks (kit)

Are you talking about corsair vengeance? Corsair is a very reputable brand for RAM...

4 hours ago, firestronk said:

Can you try to create a fresh install of a Windows install media on a USB drive and run through the whole Windows install process again? Take note of how Windows handles the install. Does it still freeze on the first boot after the install is complete, any black screens or color differences, etc.?

So I created a windows install media on a USB drive and ran the setup. I deleted all partitions so I only had one unallocted space left.  The installation seemed to go well, copying the files, installing the updates and features and after it restarts I got back to the beginning of the windows setup. This looped but I could get passed this by ejecting the USB drive when it was restarting. I got further into the installation where I was asked to enter my microsoft account password and email and then all of a sudden the screen went black and a BSOD popped up saying VIDEO TDR FAILURE and nvlddmym.sys. The computer restarted and I could finish the installation and now it is in windows. I haven't installed any drivers or other updates yet. Nvidia control panel shows the driver version as 516.94.

I installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

6 minutes ago, NaxorZ said:

So I created a windows install media on a USB drive and ran the setup. I deleted all partitions so I only had one unallocted space left.  The installation seemed to go well, copying the files, installing the updates and features and after it restarts I got back to the beginning of the windows setup. This looped but I could get passed this by ejecting the USB drive when it was restarting. I got further into the installation where I was asked to enter my microsoft account password and email and then all of a sudden the screen went black and a BSOD popped up saying VIDEO TDR FAILURE and nvlddmym.sys. The computer restarted and I could finish the installation and now it is in windows. I haven't installed any drivers or other updates yet. Nvidia control panel shows the driver version as 516.94.

I installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit.

That's interesting that you would encounter a driver error at that point in the install. I'm wondering if your motherboard is failing considering that you have already tried a different GPU in your pc and you end up with the same result.  Is your motherboard still under warranty?

4 minutes ago, firestronk said:

That's interesting that you would encounter a driver error at that point in the install. I'm wondering if your motherboard is failing considering that you have already tried a different GPU in your pc and you end up with the same result.  Is your motherboard still under warranty?

I'm starting to suspect the motherboard as well. I will have to check if it is still under warranty. I noticed now that I can change the scaling without problem in windows from 2560x1440 200% to 150%. When I then tried to change the resolution to the native 5120x1440 it generated a BSOD with TDR VIDEO FAILURE and nvlddmkm.sys. When the computer then restarted the resolution was set to 5120x1440 at 150% scaling.

9 minutes ago, NaxorZ said:

I'm starting to suspect the motherboard as well. I will have to check if it is still under warranty. I noticed now that I can change the scaling without problem in windows from 2560x1440 200% to 150%. When I then tried to change the resolution to the native 5120x1440 it generated a BSOD with TDR VIDEO FAILURE and nvlddmkm.sys. When the computer then restarted the resolution was set to 5120x1440 at 150% scaling.

First off, @firestronkis on the money with the MoBo suggestion here. You have done a ton of troubleshooting on this system which was way more than I would have given it without starting to rip things out and start replacing. Only suggestion I have is a different HDD. Try a sata based ssd or the other m.2 slot if possible and do a fresh install of windows to that with the graphics card removed. After which run updates and then once thats all completed run the GPU in the 2nd slot and see what happens when that installs and updates. 

Did you turn it off and back on again?

19 minutes ago, zipspence said:

First off, @firestronkis on the money with the MoBo suggestion here. You have done a ton of troubleshooting on this system which was way more than I would have given it without starting to rip things out and start replacing. Only suggestion I have is a different HDD. Try a sata based ssd or the other m.2 slot if possible and do a fresh install of windows to that with the graphics card removed. After which run updates and then once thats all completed run the GPU in the 2nd slot and see what happens when that installs and updates. 

Ok, thanks for the tip. I will see if I can try that. One thing to note is that I now installed the latest windows updates and ran a Windows Defender Offline scan but that did not find anything either.

Just now, NaxorZ said:

Ok, thanks for the tip. I will see if I can try that. One thing to note is that I now installed the latest windows updates and ran a Windows Defender Offline scan but that did not find anything either.

No problem, Windows update is good only for patching but doesn't do integrity checks, defender shouldn't find anything in this case either. In the past I had a failing MoBo and just had to play jenga with my Sata ports because I had a HDD that was actually killing off ports on me. It would work fine for a month then for whatever reason something would happen and then half my computer would stop working, went from slot 1 to slot 2 and did that 3 times and each time the computer would come back up as if nothing had happened. It wouldnt even work back in slot 1 after it was in slot 2 (and working) so then I replaced the HDD and linked that to slot 1 with  no issues. That one drove me nuts for about 6 months because the drive was an SSD and has showing 0 sign of failure after I put it into another data slot. Even did a different power connector and sata cable to see what was happening. 

Did you turn it off and back on again?

• 1 month later...

Update: Changed to a new m.2 drive. Did not help 

I sent the graphics card for troubleshooting where I bought and they tested it in two separate rigs without any problem

I also sent my mobo, ram and cpu to where I bought that from and they could not find any problems either. I don't know if they tested with a 3080 specifically but they card they tested with worked.

I have succeeded in installing drivers three times without Nvidia experience but every time device manager says that windows stopped the device because it stopped working (code 43). When I try to open Nvidia Control Panel it says that no Nvidia GPU is installed.

This makes me think that it didn't succeed even though it said it had?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

I ended up borrowing a computer and installing my CPU, harddrive and GPU in that setup. Problem did still persist. I swapped my CPU to his CPU and the problem went away.

I could boot into windows normally again and install drivers.

I ended up buying a 5800x3D as a replacement for the 5900X and the computer is working now.

So to sum up:

I have the exact same setup as before but a 5800x3D instead. Hope this helps somebody.

Note: The 5900X still works with the gtx 970 I used while troubleshooting for some reason.