My new Access Wireless phone has ads on the lock screen, how the hell can I remove them?

420inPortland

These damn ads are causing lagg, as well as killing my battery fast, and they are so big i cant hardly find i place to long press the screen to unlock the phone without accidentally hitting the ad and being directed to their sites. Pls HELP !!!

*The phone has custom Android OS, so the usual tactics of trying to look at the last used app, etc dont work, and it was like this out of the box, so its a preinstalled app.

* It appears that the ads are some kind of popup OVER the lock screen, as when i rebooted the phone i unlocked it and the ad wasnt there, then as whatever the app is causing it caught up, it threw the ad over the home screen instead.

8 minutes ago, 420inPortland said:

These damn ads are causing lagg, as well as killing my battery fast, and they are so big i cant hardly find i place to long press the screen to unlock the phone without accidentally hitting the ad and being directed to their sites. Pls HELP !!!

*The phone has custom Android OS, so the usual tactics of trying to look at the last used app, etc dont work, and it was like this out of the box, so its a preinstalled app.

what is your Phone. (brand,Modelnumber)

Just now, Gokul_P said:

what is your Phone. (brand,Modelnumber)

The only branding on the phone claims the model is a HEROSP001,  with a custom android build version HEROSP001_V005_14112022. SUPER cheap ass Chinese phone, but its what the carrier provides.

7 minutes ago, 420inPortland said:

The only branding on the phone claims the model is a HEROSP001,  with a custom android build version HEROSP001_V005_14112022. SUPER cheap ass Chinese phone, but its what the carrier provides.

You have a few options 

1) use some form of DNS filtering to filter the Ads 

2) root the phone https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-unlock-root-magisk-hero-sp-001-access-wireless.4434813/ (it will void the warrenty and stuff but give you the control of your device)

I couldnt find any other data about this phone so im assuming its like fire tablets and you have to root to disable ads and there is not really a setting that you can change.

25 minutes ago, 420inPortland said:

It was probably subsidized in cost by those ads. Either:

• Use a custom DNS to nuke the ads from loading
  • Load a custom ROM
  • Get a different phone

If you're lucky, maybe there's a setting to turn them off, but typically phones that do that, won't let you since that's how the cost of the phone is offset.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Download no root firewall, thatll let you block any network access of unwanted apps

Screenshot_20230101_125609.thumb.jpg.225c0bac4c7c26c6e9359219a8a443c9.jpg

I use a cheap vivo so lots of garbage bloatware trying to phone home to china and steal my data. Maybe i shouldnt block system updates but honestly id rather not have more bloatware getting installed and this firewall will keep me mostly safe anyways if i ever accidentally sideload malware onto this phone (hasnt happened yet)

Basically block all system apps aside from really obvious ones like phone, google apps, sms app, etc. Any junk playstore or random apps with really long names yes block those

54 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

It was probably subsidized in cost by those ads. Either:

• Use a custom DNS to nuke the ads from loading
  • Load a custom ROM
  • Get a different phone

If you're lucky, maybe there's a setting to turn them off, but typically phones that do that, won't let you since that's how the cost of the phone is offset.

Yeah, what's fucked up is this is my Obama/lifeline phone becuase I'm too poor to afford a landline even, so the cost is ALREADY offset by the federal government, which means there's really no excuse for this bullshit.

Solution: RethinkDNS.

I also want to mention pi-hole.  As others have stated, blocking the website names with dns blocking like pi-hole hosted locally on your computer, even with Windows, can fix this unwanted network activity.

I want to heavily promote this app because it has funding from the Mozilla MVP program and the devs truly know what they are doing.  The team members are previously involved in huge tech companies so they know what's really going on.

This app has both dns setting (even if overridden by strange software choices) and a firewall which will block any app you choose--including many system apps.

No root required and you'll actually see what's happening on your device, and have full control of the network portion now.

Enjoy digital devices that aren't able to force networked spam to you, or some unknown server.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.