Data Transfer

John.Totersburg

Is there anyway to speed this transfer up my dad says I can leave the internet on for another night and I can’t pause the transfer. What do I do to speed it up I am also using a lan cable connecting both of the ps to each other

image.jpg

Are you sure you're transferring from PS4 to PSx? At Gigabit speed that transfer should take less than an hour. Are you using at least a Cat 5e cable? Of course you can't exactly change the cable without restarting the transfer.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I’m using a yellow cable that I connect from my router to my computer and it’s PS4 to PS5 transfer not sure what psx stands for on the cable it says cat 5 hope this info helps

9 minutes ago, John.Totersburg said:

I’m using a yellow cable that I connect from my router to my computer and it’s PS4 to PS5 transfer not sure what psx stands for on the cable it says cat 5 hope this info helps

@Eigenvektor forgot to reply

2 minutes ago, John.Totersburg said:

PSx as in I don't know which one it is (PS4 to PS3/4/5/whatever). The consoles are connected directly, or are you going through your router?

Color of the cable is irrelevant. Cat 5 generally has a maximum speed of 100 Mbit. 325 GB at 100 Mbps should still only take a little over 8 hours.

Both the PS4 and PS5 should support gigabit transfer speed, but in that case you'll want a Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable. Is the cable you're using in good shape, i.e. no broken wires no tight bends or kinks? The cable's isolation intact?

@EigenvektorI connected them directly to try and not use our internet because our internet is super slow like 100 kb/s-1.5mb/s but it is moving faster then our internet I’m getting at least 3-4mb/s. The cable looks fine and the connections are secure

3 minutes ago, John.Totersburg said:

@EigenvektorI connected them directly to try and not use our internet because our internet is super slow like 100 kb/s-1.5mb/s but it is moving faster then our internet I’m getting at least 3-4mb/s. The cable looks fine and the connections are secure

I assume you mean 3-4 MB/s (not Mb/s, that would be 8 times slower…). It should complete in roughly 26 hours in that case. I'd retry with a Cat 6 cable and make sure the consoles are not communicating over Wi-Fi, because at gigabit the transfer should complete in less than an hour.

For reference, a 100 Mbps connection should give you ~12.5 MB/s (100 Mb/s / 8 = 12.5 MB/s)

1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) should give you up to 125 MB/s

11 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I assume you mean 3-4 MB/s (not Mb/s, that would be 8 times slower…). It should complete in roughly 26 hours in that case. I'd retry with a Cat 6 cable and make sure the consoles are not communicating over Wi-Fi, because at gigabit the transfer should complete in less than an hour.

For reference, a 100 Mbps connection should give you ~12.5 MB/s (100 Mb/s / 8 = 12.5 MB/s)

1 Gbps (1000 Mbps) should give you up to 125 MB/s

ok so buy a cat 6 cable restart without wi-fi and it should be under an hour? Also is this cable good?

9E4113D5-12AE-424C-BC6E-39179B6E963D.png

Edited by John.Totersburg

1 minute ago, John.Totersburg said:

ok so buy a cat 6 cable restart without wi-fi and it should be under an hour?

Unless there's something else limiting your speed, but I can't really think of another factor.

From what I can see the PS4's default drive is limited to around 100 MB/s, so you won't get the full 125 MB/s of gigabit, but it should still be significantly faster than 99 hours.