Need to upgrade my PSU because of GPU upgrade?

SciP
Go to solution Solved by vertigo220,

I recommend you read my comments here to clarify some things. Should help you get a better idea. And not enough power should just cause it to not run or to crash, but shouldn't do any damage. You can always upgrade the GPU and see what your power usage is via a Kill-a-Watt or UPS and if it's too high for the PSU then upgrade it.

Budget (including currency): flexible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Ryzen 5 2600

16 GB DDR4 (3000 MHz)

Asus Prime X370-Pro AMD

Samsung 980 1Tb

Samsung 860 256Gb

3xHDDs (7200 rpm)

GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM

Hi everyone,

I started to use Blender intensely. The models are quite demanding/high poly so want to swap in a new GPU to get more rendering performance. I am unsure if I can go with an RTX 3060 Ti as my PSU is 4 years old by now (Nvidia recommendes 650W anyway) or settle on a RTX 3060 for now? Would my other parts at a to high risk going with the RTX 3060 Ti as the PSU might die?

I want to make a minimal system upgrade for now and make a bigger investment once I get more skilled in Blender so that the investment is justifiable.

Thanks for the help and merry Christmas to you all,

SciP

I recommend you read my comments here to clarify some things. Should help you get a better idea. And not enough power should just cause it to not run or to crash, but shouldn't do any damage. You can always upgrade the GPU and see what your power usage is via a Kill-a-Watt or UPS and if it's too high for the PSU then upgrade it.