Windows won't boot after ssd swap

Ofir aviel

Hi,

I have a problem with windows.

I had the SanDisk plus 240GB and I used acronis disk clone utility to clone it to a new Samsung 870 Evo.

Now when windows starts to boot, the whole pc would shut down and then when I start it back up, it gets to the automatic repair.

When it is in the automatic repair screen, the pc stays on, but if I try to boot it normally again, or in any of the other modes(like safe mode) in startup settings it start to boot and then shuts down again

20 minutes ago, Ofir aviel said:

Hi,

I have a problem with windows.

I had the SanDisk plus 240GB and I used acronis disk clone utility to clone it to a new Samsung 870 Evo.

Now when windows starts to boot, the whole pc would shut down and then when I start it back up, it gets to the automatic repair.

When it is in the automatic repair screen, the pc stays on, but if I try to boot it normally again, or in any of the other modes(like safe mode) in startup settings it start to boot and then shuts down again

I wonder... Do you have another PC you could potentially try to clone with? Plug both drives in and try that? Maybe some weird interference with being booted into Windows on current drive and trying to clone over?

Alternatively, maybe try Macrium Reflect? Not much to lose here.

I've cloned over a few drives over the years, and plugging them in to another PC rather than cloning from current drive I'm using fixed it, but it was only that one time, the other times everything worked fine...

4 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

I wonder... Do you have another PC you could potentially try to clone with? Plug both drives in and try that? Maybe some weird interference with being booted into Windows on current drive and trying to clone over?

Alternatively, maybe try Macrium Reflect? Not much to lose here.

I've cloned over a few drives over the years, and plugging them in to another PC rather than cloning from current drive I'm using fixed it, but it was only that one time, the other times everything worked fine...

I didn't clone the disk while windows is booted I cloned it with a windows pe disk with acronics

Is the old drive still connected? Is the new drive attached to the same SATA cable/port the old one was or a different one? Did you check the boot order? If you swap the drives back, does it boot to the old drive?

20 minutes ago, vertigo220 said:

Is the old drive still connected? Is the new drive attached to the same SATA cable/port the old one was or a different one? Did you check the boot order? If you swap the drives back, does it boot to the old drive?

Yes, i connected it to the same SATA port as the old ssd.

the original ssd boots normally.

Sound like either an issue with the new drive that's not enough to prevent it from receiving the cloned data but is enough to interfere with actual use, or the clone either got corrupted or just isn't working for whatever reason. First thing I'd try is to just reinstall Windows fresh on the new drive (yes, you'll have to do the clone again, but you need to know if the drive is good) and try booting to it and using it a bit, just to see if it works, and run some diagnostics on it.