CPU Randomly Hopping Up to 115 and Going Back to 34 Every Now and Then

So I'm not the most knowledgeable about all this stuff, but I do know when I need to research. However, I remembered that I'm not 100% sure about this either, but here's the issue:

I recently got a new computer about 3 or 4 days ago, and it was perfectly fine the first couple of days. The issue is that in this time, my computer has had a tendency to black screen at a random time once a day since Wednesday and crash. Twice it happened during a game, and it happened just this morning while I was asking a friend for possible tips on the situation. Luckily, this more recent occurrence didn't lead to a pc crash so I could see my CPU's temp, however it terrified me to see that it just randomly got so hot. It's happened a total of 3 times and I'm worried about permanent damage taking place.

By default, this is what MZXT shows me about my CPU when idle. At first I thought it was the clock speed, but I'm wondering if it could be something else as well.
image.png

Today I managed to capture a screenshot of the overheat.
image.png

I've been recommended to change the thermal paste, to undervolt the CPU (which I have no idea how to do), and to mess with it in the BIOS, but I've also had suspicions of a possible hardware incompatibility (which I'm still hoping isn't the case) or maybe something's wrong with my drivers. Here are my specs as listed from the website I bought the PC from (iBP):

image.png

Please help, I have no idea what route I should take here    ;-;

Edit: Changing the thermal paste did not work on resolving the issue, will happily take more suggestions 

Probably not real. Use an actual monitoring software like HWInfo64 or the RTSS included with MSI Afterburner, NZXT’s software (and everything else about them, like their hotbox/fire hazard cases and their overpriced components) are a comedy act.

Also I would recommend replacing your cooling system with a decent cooler like the AK620 or a Liquid Freezer II from Arctic- the iBuyPower coolers are known garbage and can fail at any moment.

There’s no “hardware incompatibility” or anything with your drivers that would cause this.

Use better monitoring software, change thermal paste, and buy a new cooler, that’s my advice.

18 minutes ago, Blind Boi said:

So I'm not the most knowledgeable about all this stuff, but I do know when I need to research. However, I remembered that I'm not 100% sure about this either, but here's the issue:

I recently got a new computer about 3 or 4 days ago, and it was perfectly fine the first couple of days. The issue is that in this time, my computer has had a tendency to black screen at a random time once a day since Wednesday and crash. Twice it happened during a game, and it happened just this morning while I was asking a friend for possible tips on the situation. Luckily, this more recent occurrence didn't lead to a pc crash so I could see my CPU's temp, however it terrified me to see that it just randomly got so hot. It's happened a total of 3 times and I'm worried about permanent damage taking place.

By default, this is what MZXT shows me about my CPU when idle. At first I thought it was the clock speed, but I'm wondering if it could be something else as well.
image.png

Today I managed to capture a screenshot of the overheat.
image.png

I've been recommended to change the thermal paste, to undervolt the CPU (which I have no idea how to do), and to mess with it in the BIOS, but I've also had suspicions of a possible hardware incompatibility (which I'm still hoping isn't the case) or maybe something's wrong with my drivers. Here are my specs as listed from the website I bought the PC from (iBP):

image.png

Please help, I have no idea what route I should take here    ;-;

I'd carefully take the liquid cooler off and look at the thermal paste. Maybe the manufacturer forgot to peel off the plastic protecting the underside of the cooler. You should then replace the stock thermal paste. Any paste you can find will do just fine if you use enough of it. But don't get liquid metal. Short of that you want to look at the tool you have for controlling the fan speed and have the pump running at full speed all the time and then set the fans to hit max rpm at or below 70C. Once the system shuts down like that, you can let it cool off or reboot and let it idle for the cooler to bring temps back down. Either way, you need to look into that, the CPU should not run that hot on that cooler.

41 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Probably not real. Use an actual monitoring software like HWInfo64 or the RTSS included with MSI Afterburner, NZXT’s software (and everything else about them, like their hotbox/fire hazard cases and their overpriced components) are a comedy act.

Also I would recommend replacing your cooling system with a decent cooler like the AK620 or a Liquid Freezer II from Arctic- the iBuyPower coolers are known garbage and can fail at any moment.

There’s no “hardware incompatibility” or anything with your drivers that would cause this.

Use better monitoring software, change thermal paste, and buy a new cooler, that’s my advice.

I'll definitely keep this in mind and use something else, though the cooler will have to wait a bit. Thanks for the heads-up though, I appreciate it

41 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I'd carefully take the liquid cooler off and look at the thermal paste. Maybe the manufacturer forgot to peel off the plastic protecting the underside of the cooler. You should then replace the stock thermal paste. Any paste you can find will do just fine if you use enough of it. But don't get liquid metal. Short of that you want to look at the tool you have for controlling the fan speed and have the pump running at full speed all the time and then set the fans to hit max rpm at or below 70C. Once the system shuts down like that, you can let it cool off or reboot and let it idle for the cooler to bring temps back down. Either way, you need to look into that, the CPU should not run that hot on that cooler.

Paste exchanged for Corsair TM30, and I can confirm there is no plastic on the underside. I'll let things run for a few more days and see if it still has any issues. Thanks so much for replying so quickly too  ;u;

Just now, Blind Boi said:

Paste exchanged for Corsair TM30, and I can confirm there is no plastic on the underside. I'll let things run for a few more days and see if it still has any issues. Thanks so much for replying so quickly too  ;u;

Good luck

This reminds me of a friend with a problem like  this but could always double check your bios and make sure thermal monitoring is enabled. Somehow my friend turned it off but hes a noob and uses a mouse in bios 🙂

It may be the temp sensor my board has auxiliary temp sensor headers when they are disconnected they read 115 c but if it stays there thats definitely a problem

2 hours ago, Guyg69 said:

It may be the temp sensor my board has auxiliary temp sensor headers when they are disconnected they read 115 c but if it stays there thats definitely a problem

I'll give it a shot

Alright so, I reduced the clock on my CPU with the Intel Extreme Utility and reduced the core ratios to try and deal with its high intake. So far it seems to be benefitting, will keep updating this just in-case someone else happens to have the exact same issue and can't find it anywhere

Alright, yeah, just gonna say this; problem is definitely the cooler as far as I can tell. Did research on like 20+ youtube videos, read through at least 10 more articles, went into the BIOS numerous times, put in new monitoring software, played around with the extreme utility thing for a long time, AND IT WAS STILL BUGGING OUT. Turning off the overdrive and it still rising like it didn't even have a cooler. 

Probably gonna go for a Corsair h100 or, as NF suggested, a Liquid Freezer II

Thanks for all the help once again, still gonna leave this open just as a precaution.