7950x and TUF did i make a mistake.

RasmusDC

I was a bit fast.. 

my son really wanted a CPU upgrade, so he got my 8700k with a old strix board, i nice little system, so i pulled the trigger on a x670E TUF Board, now i read some reviews, that claimed it was a good value board.

I NEVER overclock, i actually run it with PBO of 105watt, it was the price of a X670 even the Bxxx boards. so it seemed like a cheap way to get the PCI 5.0 lanes, good connectivity and wifi (don´t need it but wanted integrated bluetooth for controllers)

Now i have paired it with a 7950x, but read then that it is one of the weaker boards with 14 70A power phases. (but right now only fed with one CPU 8 pin connector).. 

VRM seem low in temperature. and i can see that even x670 boards some have better VRM setup, i get that i am not searching for 22phase, and even the proart only have 16 phases at 70A.. should i be nervous, or are this boards simply just overengineered. and it will never be an issue?

2 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

are this boards simply just overengineered

Yes. Incredibly, unfathomably, unreasonably over-engineered. 14 70A power stages is already insanely overbuilt. My X299 Dark has a similar spec VRM, and it's an extreme overclocking board for chips that can pull 500W on just water, let alone LN2. My X99 Classified "only" has a 10-phase VRM and it's never choked with the 300-350W+ power draw of Haswell-E, don't think I ever saw VRM temps over 60C, and VRMs are good up to 110 so... quite some headroom there. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

19 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Yes. Incredibly, unfathomably, unreasonably over-engineered. 14 70A power stages is already insanely overbuilt. My X299 Dark has a similar spec VRM, and it's an extreme overclocking board for chips that can pull 500W on just water, let alone LN2. My X99 Classified "only" has a 10-phase VRM and it's never choked with the 300-350W+ power draw of Haswell-E, don't think I ever saw VRM temps over 60C, and VRMs are good up to 110 so... quite some headroom there. 

cool. because i like the board connections, it runs the chip well.. i am 10 minutes in a vrm torture test at "full PBO" and it is drawing 220watt and it is 56 degrees.. (still rising)

But i just see like 22 phase 105A boards, and this is "only" 14 70A phases.. so got a bit. DID i do a wrong..

Actually was looking at X670 non E boards, but they are the same price.. so nudged for the TUF.. simply because it seemed in reviews to be "taken well"

but another thing is the board apparently have phase doubles, it is ASUS teamed 14-2 where a like strix is 16 REAL phases..

as i understand it should still not be an issue, just were not aware...  there can be issues with clean power delivery.

2 hours ago, Zando_ said:

1 hour ago, RasmusDC said:

but another thing is the board apparently have phase doubles, it is ASUS teamed 14-2 where a like strix is 16 REAL phases..

as i understand it should still not be an issue, just were not aware...  there can be issues with clean power delivery.

It's a non-issue, I believe it was only a worry in the mid 2000s when they first became popular, and those beginner implementations were meh. 

I'm not sure why they put so much VRM on modern boards, I think it's either a marketing ploy or attempt to justify how ridiculously expensive even "normal" SKU boards are now, or both. It isn't actually needed for reliable function, and most boards aren't aimed at extreme overclocking where you might actually need that much power delivery. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

It's a non-issue, I believe it was only a worry in the mid 2000s when they first became popular, and those beginner implementations were meh. 

I'm not sure why they put so much VRM on modern boards, I think it's either a marketing ploy or attempt to justify how ridiculously expensive even "normal" SKU boards are now, or both. It isn't actually needed for reliable function, and most boards aren't aimed at extreme overclocking where you might actually need that much power delivery. 

i watch the buildzoid video on the Z690 which has the same configuration of VRM, he just calls it "clever" cost optimized design, where focus is put on quality of components rather than "amount" of stages.

i get that LN2 is the only place where more is needed.. and i have not for a long time seen boards that is like hot.. vrm wise, 60 degrees is the max, and even non fan supported

But thank you.. nice to have a discussion. 

have a great day