I have built a PC using the following components:

* MOBO: Asus PRIME B650M-A Wifi
* PSU: Corsair M750X
* CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
* RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) / 5600MHz / DDR5
* GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO
* SSD: Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 2TB
* CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100x

After connecting everything and powering up, I get to the ASUS logo screen. But this is where it gets interesting:

1. I only get to BIOS once in a while by clicking F2. Some other times, nothing happens. A forced restart is the only way to try again and eventually get to BIOS.
2. Response in BIOS is slow and sporadically freezes (for example, the mouse stops moving).
3. If I choose to boot to my Windows Install USB, I sometimes end up back on the ASUS logo.
4. If I do get to the Windows installer, it sporadically freezes (the mouse stop moving) before I even get to the installation.
5. If I do get to the installation, it freezes at 0% and the computer eventually restarts. A few times it has made it past 0% but always eventually dies and reboots before the install is completed. 

The voltages and temperatures look normal in BIOS, although I am a first time PC builder, so I might have made some kind of rookie mistake. I have also performed a self test of the M2 SSD through BIOS, which passed without remarks. I also tried to open BIOS without the SSD installed, but the issue persisted. Furthermore, I tried using only one stick of RAM but to no help. 

What baffles me is the sporadic nature of these issues. From time to time, I can get way further than a few minutes earlier… Any suggestions?

@Ovationer

just from a quick google on mobo + cpu, a few (many) threads popped up regarding that your board is only ‘certified’ up to 5200mhz ddr5 speed for ram. You are using 5600mhz and previous persons had same or similar issues to you.

some of them replaced the ram for 5200mhz and it was smooth sailing from there on out.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

31 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

@Ovationer

just from a quick google on mobo + cpu, a few (many) threads popped up regarding that your board is only ‘certified’ up to 5200mhz ddr5 speed for ram. You are using 5600mhz and previous persons had same or similar issues to you.

some of them replaced the ram for 5200mhz and it was smooth sailing from there on out.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to find others with similar issues, but have not been able to find any. Would it be possible for you to link one of these for me to just confirm that the behaviour seems to be the same?

Would you recommend switching to slower RAM or to another MOBO?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Ovationer said:

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I have tried to find others with similar issues, but have not been able to find any. Would it be possible for you to link one of these for me to just confirm that the behaviour seems to be the same?

Would you recommend switching to slower RAM or to another MOBO?

Thanks!

I googled ‘mobo name bios update + cpu name’ 

had multiple Reddit threads as top result. On mobile now so don’t have the results page at hand right now.

what you can try (and what I would do) is setting your ram at 5200mhz in bios if you can, and reboot and see how it runs then. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

3 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I googled ‘mobo name bios update + cpu name’ 

had multiple Reddit threads as top result. On mobile now so don’t have the results page at hand right now.

what you can try (and what I would do) is setting your ram at 5200mhz in bios if you can, and reboot and see how it runs then. 

Thanks again. 

New issue though — when I try to save settings in BIOS, everything freezes, which makes it very difficult to change the target frequency for the RAM. Any ideas on how to solve this?

26 minutes ago, Ovationer said:

Thanks again. 

New issue though — when I try to save settings in BIOS, everything freezes, which makes it very difficult to change the target frequency for the RAM. Any ideas on how to solve this?

No, unfortunately not in that case. Perhaps exchange the ram if you can for a 5200mhz kit and try that. 

or get a board that supports ddr5 5600mhz, but I reckon that will be more costly than a ram swap.