Fitting a 3-slot 4090 on a micro ATX Asus B450M-A

Digitaldave

Hey Guys, I'm rocking an Asus B450m-a micro atx mobo and have run into issues trying to fit my 3-slot 4090. The card's too tall and ends up hitting the cables on the bottom of the mobo (usb3.0, front panel, sata). Is there any way to get my 3-slot card to fit or do I have to look at getting a bigger mobo? The photo is my of my current 3060ti which has no issues clearance wise, but obviously the 4090 is a lot taller and ends up running into those cables. Cheers!

InkedIMG_1354.jpg

3 minutes ago, Digitaldave said:

Hey Guys, I'm rocking an Asus B450m-a micro atx mobo and have run into issues trying to fit my 3-slot 4090. The card's too tall and ends up hitting the cables on the bottom of the mobo (usb3.0, front panel, sata). Is there any way to get my 3-slot card to fit or do I have to look at getting a bigger mobo? The photo is my of my current 3060ti which has no issues clearance wise, but obviously the 4090 is a lot taller and ends up running into those cables. Cheers!

InkedIMG_1354.jpg

Yeah, you are just running out of space on your motherboard. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

Is it actually hitting any of them aside from the USB 3.0 cable? All the others are very flexible and should bend out of the way. For the 3.0 you can get a flexible extender or look for a low profile 90 degree adapter if your case has the vertical space for it to extend down from the mobo. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Digitaldave said:

InkedIMG_1354.jpg

If you get a new motherboard with more space, you will have more room for cooling for your GPU

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Is it actually hitting any of them aside from the USB 3.0 cable? All the others are very flexible and should bend out of the way. For the 3.0 you can get a flexible extender or look for a low profile 90 degree adapter if your case has the vertical space for it to extend down from the mobo. 

I'm not too sure, I tried fitting the card yesterday but didn't properly check the side view. Here's the specs of the card I've got:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gainward-rtx-4090-phantom.b9768

1 minute ago, FI Fheonix said:

If you get a new motherboard with more space, you will have more room for cooling for your GPU

Yeah hoping a new mobo would be a last resort, probs the most annoying component to change and I have a bunch of node-locked software that I'd need to acquire new licenses for

1 minute ago, Digitaldave said:

Yeah hoping a new mobo would be a last resort, probs the most annoying component to change and I have a bunch of node-locked software that I'd need to acquire new licenses for

fair point.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

9 minutes ago, Digitaldave said:

I'm not too sure, I tried fitting the card yesterday but didn't properly check the side view. Here's the specs of the card I've got:

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gainward-rtx-4090-phantom.b9768

Specific card shouldn't matter, I don't think I've ever seen a cooler that fits closer to the motherboard than the top of the PCIe slot, and everything but the USB 3.0 cable can clear that. If you remove the USB 3.0 cable, will the GPU fit in? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando_ said:

Specific card shouldn't matter, I don't think I've ever seen a cooler that fits closer to the motherboard than the top of the PCIe slot, and everything but the USB 3.0 cable can clear that. If you remove the USB 3.0 cable, will the GPU fit in? 

I'll give it a try right now and get back to ya'll!

Yep we're all good! just ran to my local comp shop and picked up a sata low profile adapter. Haven't gotten a usb 3.0 adapter yet because I actually don't even use the front ports at all, but will get one eventually!

Cheers for all the help 🙂