Bug fixes and small addons

My_Computer_Is_Trash

Notice what I circled compared to my profile banner. The picture that I circled should be centered the same way the banner is. Also, you should add a feature where you can sort comments from newest to oldest, from oldest to newest, or by most reacted. You should also add a "Tried it" for troubleshooting. This is so suggestions can be marked by the topic maker as "tried it" if their suggestion did not solve the problem. Also include an auto update for the site. This would show peoples new messages without you having to click show reply. The notification would still show up so you know that a person commented, just make it automatically show the reply.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 8.56.02 AM.png

Omg, it's a signature!

Lots of "shoulds" there.  That's not how suggestions work. 

Nothing wrong with that picture and how it's centered.  It's fine.

Why would you need comments sorted?  They're in order of flow, scroll down or up to your hearts content. Or use the PAGE aspect to navigate easily.

I do think we should default to AGREE and not LIKE (the heart).  I agree to a lot more than I want to heart something.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

12 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Lots of "shoulds" there.  That's not how suggestions work. 

Nothing wrong with that picture and how it's centered.  It's fine.

Why would you need comments sorted?  They're in order of flow, scroll down or up to your hearts content. Or use the PAGE aspect to navigate easily.

I do think we should default to AGREE and not LIKE (the heart).  I agree to a lot more than I want to heart something.

75% if the rog logo is cut off. I am not trying to command anything. My comment stands as an ask. I was merely outlining specifics when using the word "should" I believe that finding me in another topic by visiting my profile and then intentionally disagreeing on everything that could possibly offend someone on a topic by sniping me is something the mods would not like.

Omg, it's a signature!

1 hour ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Notice what I circled compared to my profile banner. The picture that I circled should be centered the same way the banner is. Screenshot 2022-12-14 8.56.02 AM.png

You mean banner should be resized to fit the preview there?

Also, you should add a feature where you can sort comments from newest to oldest, from oldest to newest, or by most reacted.

Where you need this? It already exists for the most parts of forums.

You should also add a "Tried it" for troubleshooting. This is so suggestions can be marked by the topic maker as "tried it" if their suggestion did not solve the problem.

Quoting and replying works much better overall. "Tried it" doesn't actually tell anything to the person who suggested it as trying something could bring some new information.

Also include an auto update for the site. This would show peoples new messages without you having to click show reply. The notification would still show up so you know that a person commented, just make it automatically show the reply.

This would be annoying. On desktop, you can have browser addons do this page-by-page basis.

Also, you should break these to paragraphs for better readability. Or use the existing editing features like bullet list.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You mean banner should be resized to fit the preview there?

Yes

Omg, it's a signature!

16 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

This would be annoying. On desktop, you can have browser addons do this page-by-page basis.

What if you had to press show reply every time you got an email? Explain: why would this by annoying? It should also be optional.

Omg, it's a signature!

What if you had to press show reply every time you got an email? Explain: why would this by annoying? It should also be optional.

You already have to do that.

But I already thought another reason: Performance. Just now to get notifs about anything, new threads etc. to show up fast requires quite a lot. Adding even optional auto-refresh server-side is way too much performance required.

Maybe as paid premium... That way the performance required would be paid by those who actually would want to use it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

You already have to do that.

But I already thought another reason: Performance. Just now to get notifs about anything, new threads etc. to show up fast requires quite a lot. Adding even optional auto-refresh server-side is way too much performance required.

Maybe as paid premium... That way the performance required would be paid by those who actually would want to use it.

So it should only load when the person switches to the linus tech tips page

Omg, it's a signature!

52 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

So it should only load when the person switches to the linus tech tips page

Its still quite performance cost to server... When you can do it browser side much easier.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

33 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Its still quite performance cost to server... When you can do it browser side much easier.

Just tell the browser to not display it until you move your mouse on the LTT tab

Omg, it's a signature!

2 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Just tell the browser to not display it until you move your mouse on the LTT tab

Are you just making things up or do you actually understand how this works?

Sounds like you're arguing just to argue at this point.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

9 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Server has no way of detecting when tab is active. To force reload, there needs to be trigger. So browser needs to send something to server to activate things. Or it can be server-side trigger like currently with buttons, links and such.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Put html webpage in cache, js recives signal, displays cached html

Omg, it's a signature!

There is no technical reason why we couldn't automatically add the posts to the topic - the forum does know when the tab is focused, and we already poll the server to check if there are new replies to show the new replies toast (even if the tab is not focused, although less often). It is purely a UX concern.

There are a few of UX edge cases with this approach that make it not as trivial to do as you suggest:

• It can be quite jarring when new content is inserted in the middle of the page, in this case between the last post and the editor, especially if you're typing in the editor. These days browsers are better at maintaining scroll position when you do that, but they're still not great at it. Emails are different because they're getting added to the top of a list, rather than in the middle of the content, and you don't tend to spend much time reading the email subjects.
  • If I get notified that 4 new posts got added to the page, it's not necessarily obvious (without counting up from the bottom) which posts are new and which were already there. Depending on what the user's doing, that could be a bit annoying, although in most cases they would remember which posts they have already seen. You could solve this with a "new" badge, but then what happens when the next wave of posts gets added? What if you hadn't read the first wave yet?
  • If the "new replies added" message becomes a transient toast (similar to notifications for quotes etc, where a message shows up in the corner then goes away after a few seconds), what happens if I miss it? If it's an sticky toast (like the current new replies notification), wouldn't that be pretty annoying?

These aren't insurmountable issues, but they would make this pretty annoying to implement. Moreover, this is something that would need to be changed by the forum software devs, it's not something we can customize just for LTT, and UX issues like those tend to lead to features either not getting implemented at all, or being done in a half-baked way.

8 hours ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Notice what I circled compared to my profile banner. The picture that I circled should be centered the same way the banner is

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that - the aspect ratio is different, so aligning the top causes the bottom to go out of alignment:

image.png

I will have a look into it though.

you can sort comments from newest to oldest, from oldest to newest, or by most reacted

It's already sorted from oldest to newest, and you can view from newest to oldest by starting at the end and reading backwards (but for the vast majority of topics that will make no sense). Most reacted also doesn't make sense in the vast majority of topics.

You should also add a "Tried it" for troubleshooting. This is so suggestions can be marked by the topic maker as "tried it" if their suggestion did not solve the problem.

As others have alluded to, wouldn't it be better to reply to the poster so you can include additional context in that post about exactly what the outcome was?

HTTP/2 203

14 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that - the aspect ratio is different, so aligning the top causes the bottom to go out of alignment:

image.png

I will have a look into it though.

What if you took the center of the picture and lined them up? I don't know much about programming, just throwing ideas out there. BTW: (I'm terrified I'm going to get banned by saying something wrong lol)

Screenshot 2022-12-15 8.41.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-15 8.40.25 AM.png

Omg, it's a signature!

What if you took the center of the picture and lined them up? I don't know much about programming, just throwing ideas out there. BTW: (I'm terrified I'm going to get banned by saying something wrong lol)

Screenshot 2022-12-15 8.41.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-15 8.40.25 AM.png

That's actually pretty difficult to do, especially only in styles

HTTP/2 203