Pc won't post. DRAM led

Britishblue

Hello my friends new computer won't post. It just turns on, the cpu led turns on then the dram led then it goes back to cpu and then to dram again. I've tested all ram slots with multiple sticks of ram. Cleared cmos, tried integrated graphics instead of gpu. Checked cables for loose connections and nothing. What could the problem be. I know know can't be the cpu or motherboard as they were both originally mine and I preinstalled it for them and tested it and they both worked a day before I gave it to them.

Hi Britishblue,

Sounds like there may be a problem with the motherboard or the power supply. I would recommend trying a different power supply to see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't work, then it's possible that the motherboard is the issue. In that case, you may need to replace it. It's also possible that there is a problem with the RAM or the CPU, even though you tested them. I would recommend testing them again, just to be sure. If all else fails, it may be best to take the computer to a professional for further diagnostics and repair.

5 hours ago, Noah Egener said:

Hi Britishblue,

Sounds like there may be a problem with the motherboard or the power supply. I would recommend trying a different power supply to see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't work, then it's possible that the motherboard is the issue. In that case, you may need to replace it. It's also possible that there is a problem with the RAM or the CPU, even though you tested them. I would recommend testing them again, just to be sure. If all else fails, it may be best to take the computer to a professional for further diagnostics and repair.

I have looked into it a bit more and Im thinking it may actually be the cooler possibly. Could a wrongly installed cooler or a cooler that has uneven pressure cause something like this? I tested this multiple times over the weeks before I gave it to them and the day before I did too. There were no issues. The only thing they've added is the power supply, storage, cooler, and gpu. It could be the power supply like you said and I have spare I could use to try it. But the cooler seems like it might be more likely as its the only thing they did themselves around the cpu area. I dont have access to their system right now as I fixed it temporarily by simply removing a stick of ram and changing the arrangement. Thanks

Hi

It's possible that a poorly installed cooler or one with uneven pressure could cause problems with the computer, but it's difficult to say for sure without more information. In general, it's important to make sure that the cooler is securely installed and making good contact with the CPU, and that the thermal paste is applied evenly. If the cooler is not installed correctly or is not making good contact with the CPU, it can cause the computer to behave erratically or not boot at all.

17 minutes ago, Noah Egener said:

Hi

It's possible that a poorly installed cooler or one with uneven pressure could cause problems with the computer, but it's difficult to say for sure without more information. In general, it's important to make sure that the cooler is securely installed and making good contact with the CPU, and that the thermal paste is applied evenly. If the cooler is not installed correctly or is not making good contact with the CPU, it can cause the computer to behave erratically or not boot at all.

Okay, thanks so much. Ill try the alternative power supply and reseating the cpu cooler when I am able to. Is it possible for a cooler to damage the cpu or socket itself as well if done wrong? Thanks.

48 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

Okay, thanks so much. Ill try the alternative power supply and reseating the cpu cooler when I am able to. Is it possible for a cooler to damage the cpu or socket itself as well if done wrong? Thanks.

Hi 

Yes, it is possible for a CPU cooler to damage the CPU or socket if it is not installed properly. In particular, if the cooler is not securely attached to the CPU, it can move around and cause damage to the pins on the CPU or the socket on the motherboard. Please be careful that you tighten the screws on the cooler evenly and that don’t tighten the screws too much just tighten the screws until they're quite snug. As you mentioned, you don't want to overtighten them to the point of causing damage. It is important to make sure that the cooler is securely attached to the CPU and that it is not loose before turning on the computer. It is also a good idea to use a thermal compound between the CPU and the cooler to help improve heat transfer and prevent overheating. 
Just try not to drop anything on your motherboard or CPU like Linus would 😂

9 minutes ago, Noah Egener said:

Hi 

Yes, it is possible for a CPU cooler to damage the CPU or socket if it is not installed properly. In particular, if the cooler is not securely attached to the CPU, it can move around and cause damage to the pins on the CPU or the socket on the motherboard. Please be careful that you tighten the screws on the cooler evenly and that don’t tighten the screws too much just tighten the screws until they're quite snug. As you mentioned, you don't want to overtighten them to the point of causing damage. It is important to make sure that the cooler is securely attached to the CPU and that it is not loose before turning on the computer. It is also a good idea to use a thermal compound between the CPU and the cooler to help improve heat transfer and prevent overheating. 
Just try not to drop anything on your motherboard or CPU like Linus would 😂

Great. Thank you