What is Steam Deck SSD specs?

kitnoman

Since probably early this year, we are seeing post that it's not a good idea to replace the ssd on steam deck as valve carefully chosen the one that it has due to it's power draw and if replaced, it might cause issues in the future as other ssd have higher power consumption. So Just what is the power draw specification of the 256/512 ssd on steam deck?

Personally, I would like to upgrade to a wd sn740 2tgb. Now I know that that ssd uses 3.3vdc and 2.5A. I've seen conversation in a local group that it's too high for steam deck. So I've been googling for a day now but was  not able to find the specs for the steam deck's ssd. Can anyone tell me if 2.5A is really too high for steam deck and the full specs for the stock ssd. Thanks!

I don't think Steam Deck has a desktop sized M.2 SSD in it

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

I don't think Steam Deck has a desktop sized M.2 SSD in it

the wd sn740 2tb is 2230, so it's the same size as what's on the steam deck. What I'm trying to confirm is the power draw, as that's what I've been reading about that "might" cause problems with the steam deck. Basically, higher power draw, the hotter it would get and would also affect everything around it, even battery life. But unless I learn what's the power draw of the stock ssd on steam deck, I can't really make a calculated risk to upgrade. Or if it's even an issue at all.

4 hours ago, kitnoman said:

the wd sn740 2tb is 2230, so it's the same size as what's on the steam deck. What I'm trying to confirm is the power draw, as that's what I've been reading about that "might" cause problems with the steam deck. Basically, higher power draw, the hotter it would get and would also affect everything around it, even battery life. But unless I learn what's the power draw of the stock ssd on steam deck, I can't really make a calculated risk to upgrade. Or if it's even an issue at all.

The amperage listed on drives is inaccurate as far as actual power draw goes. You can pull the power states with nvme-cli, but even these aren't always accurate. In testing of the stock SSD, it did not pull enough power during gaming to be a factor for battery life or thermals because games are mostly intermittent (bursty) reads. I had similar results with the BC711. I've been asked to make detailed results available but I've been very busy this year with work, unfortunately.

Now, certain drives will be an issue for the deck. 2242 obviously, double-sided, and many with older hardware could cause issues with heat perhaps. Newer OEMs drives, including the SN740, and retail drives, starting with Sabrent's, should be good to go.