Ryzen 5 7600X Air Cooler Recommendation(s)

1 hour ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

No GPU atm. May go with a 3070 or wait a little longer and see what else NVIDIA releases with their 40 series. 

Thanks again, everyone. 

Video card is dependent on monitor.  Also whether fss or that Nvidia equivalent bugs you or not.  If not the monitor is 4k high refresh almost automatically.  Because you can pump that from 1440p or 1080p.  I’ve got a 6800xt, and I find it’s more than I need at 4k@100hz, I’d raise the refresh, but I can’t tell the difference beyond that point anyway.  Also used video cards are dirt cheap at the moment.  I bought my 6800xt used for a bit over $500, (iirc the msrp was something like $700) and I recently saw one on eBay for a bit over $300.  There was a 3080 for $340.  Why on earth buy a new video card unless you don’t have access to the used market? (Flight sim 2020@4k maybe) I’m thinking atm I should have bought less computer and more monitor.  The thing was already the most expensive component in the rig by a decent margin.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

I have a deepcool as500 plus on a 7900x,At idle it runs 38c and highest temp i have seen stress testing it was 71c.I keep my pc room about 19c year round.

Looks like a 5 pipe single tower.  That’s not even big air.  That is different than what I’ve heard described if nothing has been done to it.  There are apparently ways to make them behave.  I don’t know what they are though.  This is under load of course.  Idle means nothing except that it can sometimes help predict load temps.  I got my data from watching a GN review of it.  There were some other videos of people doing various things to keep them at a reasonable temp. I didn’t watch them though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Looks like a 5 pipe single tower.  That’s not even big air.  That is different than what I’ve heard described if nothing has been done to it.  There are apparently ways to make them behave.  I don’t know what they are though.  This is under load of course.  Idle means nothing except that it can sometimes help predict load temps.  I got my data from watching a GN review of it.  There were some other videos of people doing various things to keep them at a reasonable temp. I didn’t watch them though.

its a 170mm tower with dual 140s on it,Its 3 degrees hotter then the ak620 but has rgb and don't cover my ram slots.

12 minutes ago, andrewmp6 said:

its a 170mm tower with dual 140s on it,Its 3 degrees hotter then the ak620 but has rgb and don't cover my ram slots.

That’s a tall one.  Won’t fit in some cases. I’m not big on rgb myself.  It seems to me to be more or less “would you like to pay an extra $10-50 for no performance increase at all?” There are people that are into it though.  I don’t consider a pc to be a statement piece.  To me it should be a featureless black box under my desk and as small as possible. My current case actually looks like a subwoofer.  It’s a rather small cube with a grill on the front.  They even thoughtfully made the nameplate magnetic so I could make the thing even more featureless.  It’s got a window but all the side panels including the bottom one are removable so I swapped it around.  I kinda wish it was grillwork too.  Maybe I’ll buy another panel so it is.

Edited by Bombastinator

When I have my 5900X installed I have it tuned for 240w PPT using PBO and curve resulting in ~515-520 GFlops. With other coolers temps would race to the 90s and clocks will drop under 4500MHz. I tune to Linpack Xtreme and with FC140 clocks will stay at 4500MHz running the 10GB load. For a static clock best I can do is 4500MHz in Linpack, anything more and she wants to over heat. So that's pretty dam good 🙂 I do have it set to boost to its max +200Mhz and I get it.

But.. and really big butts because I cannot lie 😉

I have to use iPPC fans. The stockers are great for everything but testing the CPU at its electrical and thermal capacity under conditions someone thought was ok 😜

Just now, Bombastinator said:

That’s a tall one.  Won’t fit in some cases.

It will fit in a lot of cases, which ones I don't know but TS140P is like 172mm and it fit in my Meshify C, and scraped the side on a CM690II Advanced 🤭

Some brands give you an extra few mm and some guys are on the stingy side...

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

When I have my 5900X installed I have it tuned for 240w PPT using PBO and curve resulting in ~515-520 GFlops. With other coolers temps would race to the 90s and clocks will drop under 4500MHz. I tune to Linpack Xtreme and with FC140 clocks will stay at 4500MHz running the 10GB load. For a static clock best I can do is 4500MHz in Linpack, anything more and she wants to over heat. So that's pretty dam good 🙂 I do have it set to boost to its max +200Mhz and I get it.

But.. and really big butts because I cannot lie 😉

I have to use iPPC fans. The stockers are great for everything but testing the CPU at its electrical and thermal capacity under conditions someone thought was ok 😜

It will fit in a lot of cases, which ones I don't know but TS140P is like 172mm and it fit in my Meshify C, and scraped the side on a CM690II Advanced 🤭

Some brands give you an extra few mm and some guys are on the stingy side...

I’ve heard of  case clearances as low as 145mm on non SFF stuff, though admittedly that was a server chassis and there was a stiffening bar right over the cooler which made it even more low than usual.  This may be one of those “does it have a 140mm exhaust fan in back or not” things.  It could well be that it’s unlikely to fit in any case with a 120mm or smaller rear exhaust fan, but fits fine in anything with a 140mm.  It’s a quick way to get a ballpark figure of case width.

7 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s a really nice looking cooler.  Copper has better thermal conductivity than aluminum too. Unfortunately it’s also really expensive. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that thing was over a Benjamin.

If my memory serves me right, was about $120 back in 2009 and this was huge amount of money back then. Adjusted for inflation that would be $166 today. And also don't forget - massive weight. Having 2kilgrams lump of metal hanging from your mobo is no joke. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

6 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

If my memory serves me right, was about $120 back in 2009 and this was huge amount of money back then. Adjusted for inflation that would be $166 today. And also don't forget - massive weight. Having 2kilgrams lump of metal hanging from your mobo is no joke. 

Yeah.  Probably want to find a case where the mobo sits flat then.  Ironically a smaller motherboard then.  Some sort of matx probably.

On 12/11/2022 at 12:25 AM, Bombastinator said:

That’s a tall one.  Won’t fit in some cases. I’m not big on rgb myself.  It seems to me to be more or less “would you like to pay an extra $10-50 for no performance increase at all?” There are people that are into it though.  I don’t consider a pc to be a statement piece.  To me it should be a featureless black box under my desk and as small as possible. My current case actually looks like a subwoofer.  It’s a rather small cube with a grill on the front.  They even thoughtfully made the nameplate magnetic so I could make the thing even more featureless.  It’s got a window but all the side panels including the bottom one are removable so I swapped it around.  I kinda wish it was grillwork too.  Maybe I’ll buy another panel so it is.

I feel you on small case,I have a lian li 011 air mini and my cooler is the max height i can get in it.If you want shorter look at deepcool ak620 its 160mm tall dual towers with  2 120 fans on it.For the price its hard to beat right now.