GPU disabled after random reboot

Theminecraftaddict555

Hi everyone, I have been dealing with an issue where my all of my monitor go black either causing my PC to restart or state that my driver has crashed via AMD driver utility . Everytime this happens, windows would disable my GPU and I would have to uninstall my GPU drivers as a result via DDU. The GPU I have is the 5700xt, which apparently has issues relating to drivers esp. by Gamers Nexus. So far I'm trying to run it WITH JUST the driver provided windows for testing.

Things I have tried

-Tried running the latest GPU drivers, no change

-Tried running the previous version, Adrenalin 22.5.1, of the GPU drivers even with JUST the driver install (no amd software)

-Pushed my GPU to high temps to 70-80 degrees for an hour or two but didn't shut down or restart. Especially considering that this issue occured when my gpu wasn't running that hot

What do you guys think? New GPU or attempt to run very very old drivers?

other specs if needed

-5800x 

-MSI B550-A PRO 

-MSI MPG A750GF

-32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

What OS are you running?

Try updating BIOS on the motherboard??? Sounds weird but sometimes issues can be resolved by a simple BIOS update.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

What OS are you running?

Try updating BIOS on the motherboard??? Sounds weird but sometimes issues can be resolved by a simple BIOS update.

windows 10

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

What OS are you running?

I haven't downloaded a bios update in a while but will give that a shot. Can just download the latest one and leave it that right? 

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I haven't downloaded a bios update in a while but will give that a shot. Can just download the latest one and leave it that right? 

You should be able to update the BIOS straight to the latest version without issues. Double check though in reading the release notes that it doesn't specify a specific BIOS version has to be installed prior to updating. Also, only install non-Beta BIOS updates as Beta BIOSs can be buggy. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Update: Just updated my bios and also disabled hardware acceleration in chrome since the crashes seems to happen only when browsing through that browser. Will update if issue is resolved or not

• 2 weeks later...

Update again: My system froze again with the audio still playing but I didn't get a driver crash message nor did I have my gpu disabled. My system also didn't restart. Not sure what is causing this issue and it might be different. But it took several weeks for this to occur as compared to a couple of days. so this might be something else

According to reliability monitor:

image.thumb.png.22d54450070fe215779440f19cf3a70c.png

BUMP: Now my computer randomly freezes with computer audio still playing to the point where I had to hard shut down my PC. So far everything is working ok for now but I guarantee that the freeze is going to happen again. I will try to do a clean install of windows 10 and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, then I might have to end up replacing the GPU

Update: Seems to have crashed the same way again on a fresh reinstall. Sounds like its not an OS issue. As a final resort before replacing the GPU (or just sending it to a repair shop to reduce time and money wasted incase it wasn't a gpu issue), I will try running my PC on a different browser (mine was chrome but now changing it to firefox which is more light on the resource usage).

• 1 month later...

2 month update: Issue came back where my system would freeze but sound would still play. I'm planning to run prime95 and gpuz. I already ran memtest for a whole day before and it found no issues. What is the recommended settings to run these tests for both of these software?

41 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

2 month update: Issue came back where my system would freeze but sound would still play. I'm planning to run prime95 and gpuz. I already ran memtest for a whole day before and it found no issues. What is the recommended settings to run these tests for both of these software?

look, its a long hard to read thread. simple question:  is the RAM running at default settings when these crashes happen?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

look, its a long hard to read thread. simple question:  is the RAM running at default settings when these crashes happen?

any way to determine that? do you need to do it in the bios of my b550-a board. I don't remember changing any ram settings in bios or in windows 10

2 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

any way to determine that? do you need to do it in the bios of my b550-a board. I don't remember changing any ram settings in bios or in windows 10

yes u can check in bios. should be right on the main menu,  otherwise in tuning or advanced, OC or similar. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yes u can check in bios. should be right on the main menu,  otherwise in tuning or advanced, OC or similar. 

Checked in the bios, didn't see anything changed. Loaded bios defaults and ensured that XMP and any types of OC was off.

Still want to check cpu and gpu stability in p95 and Unigine heaven. Not sure what settings to run

46 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Still want to check cpu and gpu stability in p95 and 3dmark. Not sure what settings to run

3dmark run firestrike. p95 not sure but i would just leave it at default settings,  its pretty demanding with any setting tbh. also it tells you what the settings do, one is like max stress test so thats the most demanding.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

3dmark run firestrike. p95 not sure but i would just leave it at default settings,  its pretty demanding with any setting tbh. also it tells you what the settings do, one is like max stress test so thats the most demanding.

Found that I have to pay to run firestrike on 3dmark unless 3dmark demo on steam has it.

Edit: Ran p95 for 6-8 hours, no issue of the freezing. Planning to run unigine soon

On 2/17/2023 at 11:58 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Ran unigine and p95 (not at the same time ofc_ for 6-8 hours, no issues. Same for memtest. So IK its not the GPU, CPU, or RAM. Is there any way to stress test the PSU? I feel like if its already testing fine with unigine and p95, chances are its not the PSU

actually running p95 + superposition would be pretty much max power usage  - but im not sure there's a point .

everything you said /showed pretty much hints at either gpu drivers or ram (i mean crashing in chrome, is pretty much a ram thing)

On 12/8/2022 at 2:38 AM, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

other specs if needed

-5800x 

-MSI B550-A PRO 

-MSI MPG A750GF

full specs would also

but again it seems more like software/drivers or ram to me.

that means no overclocks whatsoever , no xmp, ram at default speeds.  if the issue still occurs run memtest 64.

if no errors,  try other ram anyway or try only 1 stick at a time and test each slot separately

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 2/18/2023 at 1:13 PM, Mark Kaine said:

actually running p95 + superposition would be pretty much max power usage  - but im not sure there's a point .

everything you said /showed pretty much hints at either gpu drivers or ram (i mean crashing in chrome, is pretty much a ram thing)

full specs would also

but again it seems more like software/drivers or ram to me.

that means no overclocks whatsoever , no xmp, ram at default speeds.  if the issue still occurs run memtest 64.

if no errors,  try other ram anyway or try only 1 stick at a time and test each slot separately

I mean it crashed in firefox once after 2 months with hardware acceleration off. It even crashed on a fresh install, old GPU drivers or just using the windows one. I've also ran memtest already (just with 2 pieces of ram) and no errors.  I don't think removing ram would change anything tbh if 2 pieces of ram have no errors. However, will see if it occurs again

edit: updated to include ram

• 6 months later...

Hi!  Have you already solved the issue? I am having the same problem with my5700xt.  

On 8/30/2023 at 9:18 PM, chanome2 said:

Hi!  Have you already solved the issue? I am having the same problem with my5700xt.  

forgot to update this thread, it did it again a couple of weeks ago (after not doing it for many months). I just disabled hardware acceleration on all my applications and see if that fixed it. So will just have to wait and see

Also did a couple of stress tests that tested the cpu, ram, and GPU (and also the PSU) and nothing out of the ordinary