Building a "proper" video editing pc

NCOGTM
Go to solution Solved by NCOGTM,
10 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

but why? You don’t need a new motherboard, just update the BIOS and pick up a 5950x and a higher end GPU. The money you save on a new mobo+cpu can be used to get a better GPU that also has more VRAM, like a 3090(ti)

If you’re using the Wraith Prism cooler, it’s good but not good enough for a 5950x and you’ll want a big tower cooler like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or AK620

Keep ram and storage obviously, you COULD even get a matching kit of ram to upgrade to 64gb (make sure to turn on XMP!)

After all these upgrade guides telling me that Intel is soo much better for editing, I didn´t even think about that. Im giving it a look. Thx! The 3700X is cooled by a pure rock 4 but I wouldn´t mind going for a water cooled solution,

Hey guys, 

im picking parts for a mid range(-ish) editing pc. The footage i´m editing is mostly 4K60 at 4:2:2 10 Bit h.265 (using 75% premiere pro and 25% after effects)

Right now I´m editing on my gaming pc (Ryzen 3700x / GTX 1660 Super / 32GB DDR4 @3200Mhz) but things aren´t running smooth at all.

After watching days of reviews and guides I have picked so far:

- Z790 Motherboard
- Intel 13700K
- RTX 3070

- Keeping my 980Pro M.2 SSD and storage HDD

My big question is RAM. Should i keep my current corsair vengence 2x16 kits and maybe add another 32 GB? Or stay at DDR4 but get something around 4800Mhz? Or should I think about the fuuuture and go for DDR5?

Sadly 95% of the reviews only cover gaming performance but how about video editing/rendering?

Thanks a lot for your Input!

Cheers!

Budget (including currency): +/- 2.000€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Adobe Pr, Ae, maybe Gaming

13 minutes ago, NCOGTM said:

Right now I´m editing on my gaming pc (Ryzen 3700x / GTX 1660 Super / 32GB DDR4 @3200Mhz) but things aren´t running smooth at all.

After watching days of reviews and guides I have picked so far:

- Intel 13700K
- RTX 3070

- Keeping my 980Pro M.2 SSD and storage HDD

but why? You don’t need a new motherboard, just update the BIOS and pick up a 5950x and a higher end GPU. The money you save on a new mobo+cpu can be used to get a better GPU that also has more VRAM, like a 3090(ti)

If you’re using the Wraith Prism cooler, it’s good but not good enough for a 5950x and you’ll want a big tower cooler like the Dark Rock Pro 4 or AK620

Keep ram and storage obviously, you COULD even get a matching kit of ram to upgrade to 64gb (make sure to turn on XMP!)

10 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

After all these upgrade guides telling me that Intel is soo much better for editing, I didn´t even think about that. Im giving it a look. Thx! The 3700X is cooled by a pure rock 4 but I wouldn´t mind going for a water cooled solution,