ASUS Z790-P - is it okay to use DIMM slots A1+B1 instead of A2+B2?

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, Frizzil said:

Is this likely to matter?

Yes. When not in the proper DIMM slots on a Daisy Chain, especially with DDR5, you're lucky if you're able to boot, let alone run memory settings that are remotely "good". If you want to run any setting above 5000MT/s run it in slots A2 and B2. 

Question in title. Is this likely to matter? Manual just "recommends" to use A2 and B2 for dual-channel, but doesn't comment otherwise.

Why I'm asking: my CPU cooler (Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE) is huge and the plastic sides of the literally-strapped-on fan is occluded by both sticks of RAM, but if I shift them over it will all fit nicely, lol.

1 minute ago, Frizzil said:

Is this likely to matter?

Yes. When not in the proper DIMM slots on a Daisy Chain, especially with DDR5, you're lucky if you're able to boot, let alone run memory settings that are remotely "good". If you want to run any setting above 5000MT/s run it in slots A2 and B2. 

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I figured out a way to strap the fan on that doesn't look too bad, while enabling room for the proper A2/B2 configuration. Thank you.