CPU LED Solid Red On Mobo Still with Compatible CPU

Ok, so after been debugging trying to figure out why the CPU light is still red after getting my AMD Bootkit I requested to update my BIOS for my motherboard assuming that was the issue at this point, after installing the CPU and turning it on.. CPU LED still comes on. I have no idea what is wrong at this point in time.

(Motherboard is gigabyte b450 aurous pro wifi)

Here is the stuff I tried already

Took 1 ram stick out

Unplugged the power cord from motherboard and let it sit for a few minutes

Reset the CMOS battery/taken it out and put back in

I've resitted the CPU a couple times checking pins if they were bend, all are good.

And yet all of this and still refuses to boot up at all. I tried putting my headphones in to see if it makes a beep noise and it does, a loud pitch one and then softly hums afterwards getting more pitched by the minute.

I have a Ryzen 5500 but I read everywhere that says the motherboard I got requires a older CPU to update the bios which I requested from AMD to send me one and it came in yesterday and still CPU LED comes on.

Maybe the wiring I did? 

I have the CPU cooler fans hooked to a splitter and is connected system fan pump and pump power to cpu-fan (did have it on system fan near it but was trying other stuff)

I have my front fans panels connected to a splitter cable to cpu_opt and I got the pw, USB, and hd audio hooked to the correct spots. 

I have no idea if this is the issues in what I've tried but I've been trying for weeks now and still no luck

Oh and my PC turns on after I press the switch on the power supply and not the power button on the case it did when I first booted the whole thing but now just when I turn the power supply switch on.

The motherboard briefly flashes a white light and goes off, before when I first booted it a few times it did but now it doesn't, and I'm pretty sure I shorted my led on my CPU pump so yea there's that.

If anyone can help please do! This is my first ever PC I'm doing my own build with my own parts picked!! 

(Here's a video on the boot situation when I turn it on, does this everytime)

have you tried swapping out the other ram stick? maybe the stick you tried it with is bad

I presume this is a new build. On the surface, sounds like you may want to recheck your front panel header wiring. It's very easy to make a mistake here. ADDED: Posting your full specs will help to narrow down other possibilities.

5000-ready means the board supports it, but not that the installed BIOS does. So update could fix this, yes, and often does. But some boards do support updating or flashback with a simple button on the rear I/O panel, allowing this without a CPU present.

As NF suggested, you might try using one stick of RAM, then another, ensuring that they are in the correct slots. Some boards arrange the DIMM slots differently, so check the manual.

Ryzens and their supporting boards can be quite fickle about RAM, and some kits may be less stable than others with certain boards, so I would recommend checking your RAM SKU against the QVL list for the board you have with that particular processor series (5000). With Ryzen, this is kind of a big deal, I've seen two kits with the same timings, voltages, and speeds behave entirely differently in the same build. Only difference, one was on the QVL list, the other was not. Absence from such lists does not mean it WON'T work, but it can't be guaranteed, and it may not be stable even if it does.

I've even seen a few odd cases where QVL recommended a particular kit for one processor series, but not another (fine for 3000-series, but not a 5000-series, for example). Don't rely on Pangoly or the RAM manufacturer. Go to the board manufacturer and look it up on their site. This is usually as easy as typing your board make / model followed by RAM compatibility into Google.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

I presume this is a new build. On the surface, sounds like you may want to recheck your front panel header wiring. It's very easy to make a mistake here. ADDED: Posting your full specs will help to narrow down other possibilities.

5000-ready means the board supports it, but not that the installed BIOS does. So update could fix this, yes, and often does. But some boards do support updating or flashback with a simple button on the rear I/O panel, allowing this without a CPU present.

As NF suggested, you might try using one stick of RAM, then another, ensuring that they are in the correct slots. Some boards arrange the DIMM slots differently, so check the manual.

Ryzens and their supporting boards can be quite fickle about RAM, and some kits may be less stable than others with certain boards, so I would recommend checking your RAM SKU against the QVL list for the board you have with that particular processor series (5000). With Ryzen, this is kind of a big deal, I've seen two kits with the same timings, voltages, and speeds behave entirely differently in the same build. Only difference, one was on the QVL list, the other was not. Absence from such lists does not mean it WON'T work, but it can't be guaranteed, and it may not be stable even if it does.

I've even seen a few odd cases where QVL recommended a particular kit for one processor series, but not another (fine for 3000-series, but not a 5000-series, for example). Don't rely on Pangoly or the RAM manufacturer. Go to the board manufacturer and look it up on their site. This is usually as easy as typing your board make / model followed by RAM compatibility into Google.

Here what I've got - 

CPU Cooler - Enermax Liqmax III 360 A-RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler - 360mm Radiator, 120mm ARGB PWM Fan, for Intel LGA1700/AMD AM5, 5 Year Warranty

Storage - Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 3500MB/s TLC 3D NAND 640TBW Internal Solid State Hard Drive

RAM -  Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black, 2 count (pack of 1)

CPU -  AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

Motherboard - GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ATX/M.2 Thermal Guard with Onboard Wi-Fi/HDMI/DVI/USB 3.1 Gen 2/DDR4/Motherboard)

Power Supply -  ARESGAME Power Supply 650W 80 Plus Bronze Certified ATX PSU - AGV650

PC Case (came with fans) -  Phanteks (PH-EC360ATG_DBK02) Eclipse G360A Ultra-fine Performance Mesh, Mid-Tower Gaming case, Tempered Glass, Digital-RGB Lighting, Black

TEMPORARILY GPU TILL GET A BETTER ONE - T angxi PCI E 2.0 Desktop Graphics Card, 64bit 1GB Video Memory DDR2 532(MHz) 16 Stream Processor Units Video Game Graphics Card Chip for Nvidia GT210

3 hours ago, crunch_bite said:

Ok, so after been debugging trying to figure out why the CPU light is still red after getting my AMD Bootkit I requested to update my BIOS for my motherboard assuming that was the issue at this point, after installing the CPU and turning it on.. CPU LED still comes on. I have no idea what is wrong at this point in time.

(Motherboard is gigabyte b450 aurous pro wifi)

Here is the stuff I tried already

Took 1 ram stick out

Unplugged the power cord from motherboard and let it sit for a few minutes

Reset the CMOS battery/taken it out and put back in

I've resitted the CPU a couple times checking pins if they were bend, all are good.

And yet all of this and still refuses to boot up at all. I tried putting my headphones in to see if it makes a beep noise and it does, a loud pitch one and then softly hums afterwards getting more pitched by the minute.

I have a Ryzen 5500 but I read everywhere that says the motherboard I got requires a older CPU to update the bios which I requested from AMD to send me one and it came in yesterday and still CPU LED comes on.

Maybe the wiring I did? 

I have the CPU cooler fans hooked to a splitter and is connected system fan pump and pump power to cpu-fan (did have it on system fan near it but was trying other stuff)

I have my front fans panels connected to a splitter cable to cpu_opt and I got the pw, USB, and hd audio hooked to the correct spots. 

I have no idea if this is the issues in what I've tried but I've been trying for weeks now and still no luck

Oh and my PC turns on after I press the switch on the power supply and not the power button on the case it did when I first booted the whole thing but now just when I turn the power supply switch on.

The motherboard briefly flashes a white light and goes off, before when I first booted it a few times it did but now it doesn't, and I'm pretty sure I shorted my led on my CPU pump so yea there's that.

If anyone can help please do! This is my first ever PC I'm doing my own build with my own parts picked!! 

(Here's a video on the boot situation when I turn it on, does this everytime)

I can immediately spot some issues here.

My brother in zen, your CPU doesn't have an IGPU - your monitor needs to be plugged into your graphics card, not the mobo. That output is only for CPUs with an IGPU.

As for the power button issue - read your mobo headers and make sure you've got it plugged into the correct pins.

Just to be clear - you have your boot CPU from AMD installed in this video? Do you have the 8 pin power connector at the top of the board plugged in? I can't tell from your video.

Also - and this is something to fix after you get the rest working - it's very rare that you want neighboring sticks plugged in, you want one in each memory channel, which for most boards means there should be a gap between the sticks.

8 hours ago, crunch_bite said:

Storage - Fanxiang S500 Pro 1TB NVMe SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 3500MB/s TLC 3D NAND 640TBW Internal Solid State Hard Drive

RAM -  Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black, 2 count (pack of 1)

CPU -  AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

Motherboard - GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ATX/M.2 Thermal Guard with Onboard Wi-Fi/HDMI/DVI/USB 3.1 Gen 2/DDR4/Motherboard)

The QVL lists the 5500, but its architecture (Cezanne) is absent from the RAM compatibility lists. As it is technically a Zen3 (typically a Vermeer), I started to look up the Vermeer list, but the RAM SKU (part # is needed to verify compatibility. Here is the link to the Support page for this board on Gigabyte's website.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#dl

As an aside, the off-brand storage could also be an issue here, though I've seen far more compatibility issues with RAM than storage.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 hours ago, JT89 said:

I can immediately spot some issues here.

My brother in zen, your CPU doesn't have an IGPU - your monitor needs to be plugged into your graphics card, not the mobo. That output is only for CPUs with an IGPU.

As for the power button issue - read your mobo headers and make sure you've got it plugged into the correct pins.

Just to be clear - you have your boot CPU from AMD installed in this video? Do you have the 8 pin power connector at the top of the board plugged in? I can't tell from your video.

Also - and this is something to fix after you get the rest working - it's very rare that you want neighboring sticks plugged in, you want one in each memory channel, which for most boards means there should be a gap between the sticks.

Yea I have tried the HDMI plugged into the Graphics card and I still get no video but it's pretty much like a black screen for a few seconds and then goes back to no signal and yes I got the boot CPU from AMD installed

2 hours ago, crunch_bite said:

Yea I have tried the HDMI plugged into the Graphics card and I still get no video but it's pretty much like a black screen for a few seconds and then goes back to no signal and yes I got the boot CPU from AMD installed

It needs to be in the graphics card. The motherboard output will never show a thing. 

What about your 8 pin power connector for the CPU at the top of the motherboard? Circled in blue below - is that plugged in? Note - I also identified the 2 slots you want to populate for your ram to actually be dual channel.

b450.JPG

2 hours ago, JT89 said:

It needs to be in the graphics card. The motherboard output will never show a thing. 

What about your 8 pin power connector for the CPU at the top of the motherboard? Circled in blue below - is that plugged in? Note - I also identified the 2 slots you want to populate for your ram to actually be dual channel.

b450.JPG

Yea it's plugged in for the 8 pin and I'll try again when I get the chance to boot with the ram in those channels

13 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

The QVL lists the 5500, but its architecture (Cezanne) is absent from the RAM compatibility lists. As it is technically a Zen3 (typically a Vermeer), I started to look up the Vermeer list, but the RAM SKU (part # is needed to verify compatibility. Here is the link to the Support page for this board on Gigabyte's website.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/support#dl

As an aside, the off-brand storage could also be an issue here, though I've seen far more compatibility issues with RAM than storage.

Looking into the NVMe SSD M.2 2280 for the support list for my motherboard, just putting in the brand of the one I got for my pc, I don't see that brand on the list at all for it.. so high chance it could be the storage.. but judging froma video I took of the computer showing it on and stuff before I noticed leds, both cpu and the led on the right of it were both solid red... but now it's just cpu led...

Make sure the board's BIOS is updated to support the CPU you have since it's a B450 board paired with a Ryzen 5500 chip.
You should be able to do that even if you were to remove the CPU from the board, refer to Gigabyte's site on how to do it and go from there.

Even though the board is said to be compatable, that doesn't automatically mean the BIOS is properly updated to your particular board since it could have sat in the warehouse for sometime before it sold.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Make sure the board's BIOS is updated to support the CPU you have since it's a B450 board paired with a Ryzen 5500 chip.
You should be able to do that even if you were to remove the CPU from the board, refer to Gigabyte's site on how to do it and go from there.

Even though the board is said to be compatable, that doesn't automatically mean the BIOS is properly updated to your particular board since it could have sat in the warehouse for sometime before it sold.

Yea I already contacted AMD to send me a Bootkit they sent me a Ryzen 3 1300  something to boot into bios but I'm still getting the CPU led so when I get the time to look into everything I'll update any news on changes

7 hours ago, crunch_bite said:

Looking into the NVMe SSD M.2 2280 for the support list for my motherboard, just putting in the brand of the one I got for my pc, I don't see that brand on the list at all for it.. so high chance it could be the storage.. but judging froma video I took of the computer showing it on and stuff before I noticed leds, both cpu and the led on the right of it were both solid red... but now it's just cpu led...

This is what I found Googling Gigabyte B450 Aorus Wifi debug LEDs. Does this look like your board? If so, depending on the angle you're viewing it, that might be the DRAM light, which means the board may not like the RAM. If this doesn't match your board, can you post a pic of the LEDs and how they're labeled? I'm not finding much that's helpful other than this.

image.png.7f9238cec5b8b48604f9032e504ca9f2.png

5 hours ago, crunch_bite said:

Yea I already contacted AMD to send me a Bootkit they sent me a Ryzen 3 1300  something to boot into bios but I'm still getting the CPU led so when I get the time to look into everything I'll update any news on changes

That's interesting. A 1300 is supported per the QVL, and getting the CPU light on two different supported CPUs indicates a board issue. Be sure the socket lever is latching in properly, that's a potential issue that's easy to overlook. Have you had any mishaps during assembly like fumbling a screwdriver or something? Stuff like that can damage the board.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

14 hours ago, crunch_bite said:

As Anomaly suggested above, be sure the LED you're seeing is the CPU LED.

You may well have a bad board.
I'd start thinking about a replacement or even an RMA of it if possible since, if I'm reading your post correctly... Even the 1300 isn't working in the board.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

18 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

4 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

I'd start thinking about a replacement or even an RMA of it if possible since, if I'm reading your post correctly... Even the 1300 isn't working in the board.

Here's a video I took about a day or so after I put everything together (taken before I shorted the LEDs on my cooler pump) this had the 5500 CPU installed and I had the 3 cooler fans hooked to the CPU_opt and cpu_fan and last one to system-fan3 next to 8pin CPU thingy the front fans were hooked to a fan splitter to the bottom system fan pump I don't exactly remember what I hooked up in during that process but I will try going through videos or photos to see if I have clear stuff for what I plugged in first time 

(Video was taken on November 16 2022)

I believe I have time to today to try everything again that has been said already and see if it boots properly if not I will look into maybe a replacement  

(And can see 2 red LEDs lit up which by the time I didn't notice because it thought they were apart of the board being the PC noob I am currently)

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

So I put the ram into the slots I was told, LED still comes on

16 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

This is what I found Googling Gigabyte B450 Aorus Wifi debug LEDs. Does this look like your board? If so, depending on the angle you're viewing it, that might be the DRAM light, which means the board may not like the RAM. If this doesn't match your board, can you post a pic of the LEDs and how they're labeled? I'm not finding much that's helpful other than this.

image.png.7f9238cec5b8b48604f9032e504ca9f2.png

That's interesting. A 1300 is supported per the QVL, and getting the CPU light on two different supported CPUs indicates a board issue. Be sure the socket lever is latching in properly, that's a potential issue that's easy to overlook. Have you had any mishaps during assembly like fumbling a screwdriver or something? Stuff like that can damage the board.

I don't believe I did yet

IMG_20221203_121620546.jpg

Yep, that's the CPU LED. Dumb question, are you certain your 4 or 8-pin CPU power is connected? Also looks like your USB header plug is slightly crooked, possibly not making connection. Might also pull that connector and check for bent pins. Not sure that would cause this, but the 4/8 pin CPU power could. And come to think of it, if the PSU isn't delivering correct power on that rail, I could see where it might cause the board to flip out.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yep, that's the CPU LED. Dumb question, are you certain your 4 or 8-pin CPU power is connected? Also looks like your USB header plug is slightly crooked, possibly not making connection. Might also pull that connector and check for bent pins. Not sure that would cause this, but the 4/8 pin CPU power could. And come to think of it, if the PSU isn't delivering correct power on that rail, I could see where it might cause the board to flip out.

Will look into it tomorrow my power supply has 2 8 pin CPU things one that splits into 2 and one that's together that doesn't split

• 5 weeks later...

Ok long awaited news update on the CPU LED issue I had, I have upgraded to a MSI B550 Motherboard from the gigabyte B450 motherboard was giving the CPU light and still wouldn't boot with the AMD Bootkit, the MSI one got a flashback button so I should be good, and I got a 3060ti MSI graphics card coming in a few days for the last remaining part I need for my computer 🙂

My new specs are:

MSI B550

2 1TB NVmd SSD's

32GB RAM (will go for 64gb later)

Ryzen 5 5500 CPU (Will probably upgrade later in the year)

Enermax LIQUID CPU 360mm Cooler

Phanteks Case w/ fans

MSI 3060ti Ventus 2X 12OC Twin Fans

aeres 650w bronze power supply (prob gonna change to a Corsair 550w power supply soon)

165 hertz 1080p monitor.

(also stuff I noticed from the old motherboard I had, looking at other builds at my local best buy in terms of wiring I was doing it completely wrong and pretty sure my liquid cooler wouldn't have even worked for my other motherboard for where the fan pump was located which the wire from the pump is unable to reach it but the new one it reaches it perfectly fine 🙂 )

16726593637408164333389636356843.jpg