Memory Speeds

Go to solution Solved by 1982 Original,
1 hour ago, A10FTMIDGET said:

Hello

Ive gone and done it and got a 4090 which should be going into my pc some point this week, i am however slighty conserned that my other hardware is not up to the job, my concern is my memory speed and if it is worth me trying to buy new memory to which has a higher speed of 4000mhz. 

My specs are 

intel core i9 10920x

asus x299 extreme encore

32gb corsair memory (3600mhz)

when i check what memory speed my cpu can take it says DDR4-2933 however im running 3600mhz with xmp, if i was to get 4000mhz would it work? 

whats your thoughts.

The slightly faster memory speed from 3600Mhz to 4000Mhz wouldn't make that much of a difference unless it was Samsung B-die and you took the time to manually tune it to get the lowest possible timings.  If you were using 3200MHz or slower memory, then I would say it "could" be worth it.  There is also no guarantee that a 4000Mhz kit would be stable.  You could buy it, and if it requires Gear 2 to be stable, it could very well be slower than the 3600Mhz kit you already own.

Hello

Ive gone and done it and got a 4090 which should be going into my pc some point this week, i am however slighty conserned that my other hardware is not up to the job, my concern is my memory speed and if it is worth me trying to buy new memory to which has a higher speed of 4000mhz. 

My specs are 

intel core i9 10920x

asus x299 extreme encore

when i check what memory speed my cpu can take it says DDR4-2933 however im running 3600mhz with xmp, if i was to get 4000mhz would it work? 

whats your thoughts.

1 hour ago, A10FTMIDGET said:

Hello

My specs are 

intel core i9 10920x

asus x299 extreme encore

whats your thoughts.

The slightly faster memory speed from 3600Mhz to 4000Mhz wouldn't make that much of a difference unless it was Samsung B-die and you took the time to manually tune it to get the lowest possible timings.  If you were using 3200MHz or slower memory, then I would say it "could" be worth it.  There is also no guarantee that a 4000Mhz kit would be stable.  You could buy it, and if it requires Gear 2 to be stable, it could very well be slower than the 3600Mhz kit you already own.

23 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

amazing, thank you for your response, im going to see how it goes 🙂

14 minutes ago, A10FTMIDGET said:

amazing, thank you for your response, im going to see how it goes 🙂

So for the benefit of other posters who may stumble upon your thread, post the results of what gains you got (if any) by getting better/faster RAM.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.