Scrapyard Wars Student Edition

levieuge

Decided to do scrapyard wars with a friend at uni. Building the best PC for £100.

Even though we are competing against each other we decided to try to boot both of our base towers today together. The madness below is the result of not being able to find a single VGA cable in our whole city and being too impacient to order on amazon. So using a donor GPU to check for output (the quadro on the table is dead), and another PC's PSU to power it. PC boots!

Wish us luck in finding a good GPU.

20221124_202822.jpg

20221124_203007.jpg

20221124_203246.jpg

6 minutes ago, levieuge said:

Unfortuntly we are too poor for the amazing LTT screwdriver, so having to use the £2 screw driver from pound land. I wonder if it has better price to perfomrance than the LTT one... 🤔😉

I would *dearly* love to get the entire forum in on something like this, to see EDIT: who (I can't speel) had the best for X dollar amount, but not told what the challenges will be until they are built. Then donate all the system to charity once the challenge is over.

Keep up the great work, I love ideas like this!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

These are so much fun to do. 

What did you two end up with in your computers for 100 GBP?

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I would *dearly* love to get the entire forum in on something like this, to see how had the best for X dollar amount, but not told what the challenges will be until they are built. Then donate all the system to charity once the challenge is over.

I still really want this to happen. I had a quad Opteron server lined up for the one you were doing for $200. Wasn't going to win, but was going to get the style points. 

Also going to send you a dm real quick. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I still really want this to happen. I had a quad Opteron server lined up for the one you were doing for $200. Wasn't going to win, but was going to get the style points. 

I'm the guy in the photo - I'll dm you my gpu because I don't wanna spoil the competition. Other specs are xeon e3-1270 v2 and 8gb ram

CPU: i7 6700

GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133 MHZ

Storage: 2TB Crucial SATA SSD + 2TB WD BLUE

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Competition is still in progress, we are mostly using ebay and FB market place so we decided on 2 weeks to order plus extra week for any shipping delays.

At the moment, one base system is a xeon, the other is an 4th gen i5. Hunting for graphics cards now!

6 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I still really want this to happen

Any chance you, with your Gold Contributor badge, can get LTT to open up scrapyard wars to the entire forum?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

@Radium_Angelwant in that DM when @Charlie GrovesDMs me? Maybe if we get a DM going on cheap hardware and this type of stuff we'll eventually have enough people to do it.

Shameless F@H plug. Could be fun to time it to where it's done before a major event to get people donating what little compute power we end up with towards medical research and then give away to charity?

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Any chance you, with your Gold Contributor badge, can get LTT to open up scrapyard wars to the entire forum?

Having Gold gets me no weight with LTT, but what's the worst that can happen if we ask? They say no? Oh well.

What are you thinking? Like have us doing a "LTT sanctioned SCW" local to us? There's some minor nuances I'll dm you about but let me know what you're thinking and we can ask? See if they will make a video about it? 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, levieuge said:

Hunting for graphics cards now!

Little tip for you and @Charlie Groves . Seems like you two already know it but Quadros can be a good steal for price to performance on the cheap.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?