First build 15ish years.

JMDew

The last PC I built was 2008ish for reference, here are the rough parts just to show the age.    Don't worry, thats not my current PC, its just the last one I built.  My current one has a 6700k/1070/16gig memory. I actually got that on craigslist in 2017 for the cost of a new 1070, so that was too nice a deal to pass up.    I just thought I would list my last built PC to give some flashbacks to those that were around building at that time, and to give a frame of reference of tech/things I may not be aware of.  If you see any compatibility issues/concerns please let me know.  I like building and tinkering with my builds, but I am definitely not the most informed. The first PC I built was the old P4 socket 478 days and was a budget build back then. 

Mobo:  ASUS P5B-VM

CPU:  Conroe E6600 dual core

Storage: 250gig Raptor HDD

PSU: HX520

GPU: EVGA 8800GTS

Case: Thermaltake LANBOX Lite

RAM: 2gigs of some random Corsair mem

Budget (including currency): 2000-2200USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA and Esports, some WFH with multi screen use. 

CPU: i7-13000K

Cooler:  be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

Mobo: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32g (2x16kit) DDR5-5200

Storage: Crucial PS Plus 1 TB M.2-2280

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

PSU: RM1000e 1000W 80+ Gold

GPU: 7900XTX (Voting with my wallet and all that other Nvidia crap they have been doing)

Here is a PCPartPicker list for those that prefer that - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LRz8v3

I would prefer this be a long term build for me, IE with an eye towards being upgraded in the future for as long as possible.  My wife and I are having our first kid in January and I will not be dropping 2k every 2-3 years on a new PC, so I hope to get a lot of time out of this build.  I did see that there is a chance I would need to update the BIOS on the Gigabyte board for the 13th gen CPU.  I was not able to see if that was doable without having a compatible CPU, or if I was able to just flash the BIOS from a USB from another PC.  I am planning on using my 1070 until the 7900xtx launch assuming availability.

I would only change the following parts:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FbxLnt
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  ($168.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($8.73 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($8.73 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1191.38

AK620 performs very well and cheaper than dark rock pro 4.

DDR5 6000 because it is the sweet spot for DDR5 and not only for AMD.

980 Pro because at that price point, might as well go with an S tier SSD that only cost $5 more.

Additional fans for intake and exhaust, totaling 2 intake 2 exhaust for better airflow.

Side note, please do not pre-order (if you could) 7900 XTX, at least wait till independent reviewers reviewed them. Chiplet design is new in GPUs, it might be a rocky launch due to various reasons.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Awesome, thanks man, Ill switch those around.  Ashamed to say I completely even forgot about some extra case fans.

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up question/info.  I had to piecemeal the parts as we had some car troubles and I used computer savings to fix a starter.  

I was able to snag a 13700k(rather than an 13600k), the case, motherboard and AK620 for now and was able to do car repairs for the rest. 

While reading over the CPU, I saw it supports up to DDR5 up to 5600 speeds. The ram suggested in this thread runs at 6000.  Is that beneficial in some way since the CPU does not seem to support that speed?  

47 minutes ago, JMDew said:

Follow up question/info.  I had to piecemeal the parts as we had some car troubles and I used computer savings to fix a starter.  

I was able to snag a 13700k(rather than an 13600k), the case, motherboard and AK620 for now and was able to do car repairs for the rest. 

While reading over the CPU, I saw it supports up to DDR5 up to 5600 speeds. The ram suggested in this thread runs at 6000.  Is that beneficial in some way since the CPU does not seem to support that speed?  

I would just go with the speed that the CPU supports. Don't try to go over, because that could lead to issues either right away or down the road. Stability is key.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

53 minutes ago, JMDew said:

The ram suggested in this thread runs at 6000.  Is that beneficial in some way since the CPU does not seem to support that speed?  

It supports to 5600 without xmp. Xmp can get you up to those speeds, it'll be perfectly fine at higher speeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thank you all for the feed back, sorry for the delay in responding.  I was able to purchase all the parts except a GPU.  I am putting that purchase on pause for a moment.  I will likely put my 1070 in it for the time being.  

The reason I am pausing that purchase is 2 days ago, my wife needed an emergency C-section, I'm now a father! Everything went well, so we are waiting in the hospital for the discharge paperwork to be done.  I know this is a tech forum, but I'm telling everyone anyway.  

Everyone, say hi to my little man Jack!!!  5lb 15oz!

PXL_20221222_185007524.jpg