SteelSeries Arctis 7 + GoXLR + PS5?

Beep or Boop

Hey guys, trying to figure out if anything is possible here. So i'm running my Arctis 7's into my GoXLR which is then running into my PC. Is there anyway that i'm able to get my PS5 into this mix so that I am still able to hear my PC, so I can talk to my buddies on discord, while playing my PS5?

Since the PS5 no longer has optical out, thanks sony, this is unfortunately not as easy as it once was with the older generations of consoles dating back to the ps2. 

You will need to have either a USB dac and run your game audio out via 3.5mm aux cord into the back of your GoXLR, or invest in an hdmi audio extractor that is compatible with with hdmi 2.1 

The USB dac is the cheaper option, but not super ideal in terms of quality. HDMI audio extractors that won't affect the capabilities of the PS5 run about $80-200. Good news is that if you don't mind not having VRR or 120hz, you can find an hdmi audio extractor that can do 4k60hz for a bit cheaper, but still around $30-50 + cords. 

6 minutes ago, invaderSnarf said:

Since the PS5 no longer has optical out, thanks sony, this is unfortunately not as easy as it once was with the older generations of consoles dating back to the ps2. 

You will need to have either a USB dac and run your game audio out via 3.5mm aux cord into the back of your GoXLR, or invest in an hdmi audio extractor that is compatible with with hdmi 2.1 

The USB dac is the cheaper option, but not super ideal in terms of quality. HDMI audio extractors that won't affect the capabilities of the PS5 run about $80-200. Good news is that if you don't mind not having VRR or 120hz, you can find an hdmi audio extractor that can do 4k60hz for a bit cheaper, but still around $30-50 + cords. 

Dang, so not super easy options. What a pain in the butt. Thanks

14 minutes ago, invaderSnarf said:

Would a 3.5mm aux splitter work? Splitter plugs into the GoXLR, then one side plugs from the headset while the other plugs in from the controller itself. Maybe that's not how you would set it up, but just figuring out of a splitter would work.

2 minutes ago, Beep or Boop said:

Would a 3.5mm aux splitter work? Splitter plugs into the GoXLR, then one side plugs from the headset while the other plugs in from the controller itself.

I don't think that would work. Which port would you plug the aux splitter into the back from the GoXLR?

Assuming you have your headset plugged into the headphone jack (the green port) you would just be sending your PC audio into your ps5. You might be able to just plug the ps5 controller into the Line In port or the mic port on your GoXLR, I just do not know what level of output the controller is putting out. That would be the first option to try and see if it works for you. 

1 minute ago, invaderSnarf said:

I don't think that would work. Which port would you plug the aux splitter into the back from the GoXLR?

Assuming you have your headset plugged into the headphone jack (the green port) you would just be sending your PC audio into your ps5. You might be able to just plug the ps5 controller into the Line In port or the mic port on your GoXLR, I just do not know what level of output the controller is putting out. That would be the first option to try and see if it works for you. 

I was just looking around and saw this video 

Don't know if that will work well. I live kind of far out of town, so I wanna make sure I know what I wanna buy before I go into town to buy it. If I have a valid solution that is.

24 minutes ago, invaderSnarf said:

Going through tons of videos and i'm a little bit confused. When using a GoXLR why would I need a USB sound card to also plug into it, while extracting the optical audio? Every video shows using one of them. Because I don't care about any other audio or party chat. All I want is the PS5 game audio routed into my GoXLR so that I can listen to it in my headphones while talking to people on discord. So they don't have to hear my TV while i'm playing and I like playing games with a headset.

18 hours ago, Beep or Boop said:

Going through tons of videos and i'm a little bit confused. When using a GoXLR why would I need a USB sound card to also plug into it, while extracting the optical audio? Every video shows using one of them. Because I don't care about any other audio or party chat. All I want is the PS5 game audio routed into my GoXLR so that I can listen to it in my headphones while talking to people on discord. So they don't have to hear my TV while i'm playing and I like playing games with a headset.

Since the ps5 controller can act as both a audio source and an audio input, you need something to extract the correct signal coming out of it . The reason people use a USB sound card, like I mentioned before in my original response, is that they don't like having a wire coming out from their controller and into their audio solution. If you don't mind having the controller tied to your GoXLR with a cable, I would suggest just trying a simple AUX cord into either your LINE-IN or MIC-IN on the back of your GoXLR. If you wanted to free the controller from this, you can easily grab a USB sound card off amazon for $9-15 and then use that to plug the audio into your GoXLR.