RX 580 heat going up to 97

Alan GE
Go to solution Solved by UnusualDevices,

1. Are gpu fans spinning? according to that screen 0 rpm but that may not be correct.

2. update bios/ddu/reinstall drivers

3. if that doesn't work you may need to repaste your gpu.

Hello !

I have this rx580 build .. i built it in 2018 .

So i recently had this issue when playing games (like warzone) the pc just shuts down immediately after loading the graphics.

I tried to stress test the card from AMD software and the temp went up to 97 and the power consumption went to 110+ w.

I'm adjusting the frequency so the pc doesn't shut down when i play games which is working .

image.thumb.png.fd6a124e053ea37e587ba8c7d98cf104.png

I'm wondering what can cause this issue? is it the power supply ?

i have 650 cooler master mwe 80 bronze

the card is rx 580 strix oc 

1. Are gpu fans spinning? according to that screen 0 rpm but that may not be correct.

3 minutes ago, UnusualDevices said:

odb mode is turned on i guess thats why its 0 rpm . 

the drivers /bios already updated . clean install with ddu.

4 years, have you cleaned them within the 4 years you have it?

Take it to a repair center and ask them to replace the thermal paste, it is likely that the thermal paste has been used up.

After that, undervolt the card, I see that you don't apply undervolt, follow this guide.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

10 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

4 years, have you cleaned them within the 4 years you have it?

Take it to a repair center and ask them to replace the thermal paste, it is likely that the thermal paste has been used up.

After that, undervolt the card, I see that you don't apply undervolt, follow this guide.

I haven't cleaned it tbh ... it makes sense replacing the thermal paste .. i just tried to stress the card again it went to 92 in less than 5 seconds 

6 minutes ago, Alan GE said:

I haven't cleaned it tbh ... it makes sense replacing the thermal paste .. i just tried to stress the card again it went to 92 in less than 5 seconds 

Yea, that card should not be that hot, it is highly unlikely that PSU caused it.

Temps should be between 80-90C, 97C is very close to max operating temps of most GPUs, probably the temps spikes to 100C+ so the GPU shut itself down to prevent damage.

And clock speed really affects power draw therefore heat output, therefore reducing max clock speed helped you.

In general, after 2 years (if you purchased it new), you have to clean it, if still toasty, then thermal paste replacement is in order.

While you're at it, clean the whole PC.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

5 minutes ago, Alan GE said:

That's not normal at all. That's worse than a 5 year old RX 570 I own, and that card still has the original thermal paste and two failing fans. It's also sitting directly above a second GPU running at full power, so it's not running in ideal conditions. 

You should remove the cooler and reapply the thermal paste. Give it a good cleaning while you've got it apart. It sounds like your heatsink isn't mounted properly for some reason. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I have a gtx 645 which used to spike up to 97 degrees too, and I replaced the thermal paste, cleaned it and now it barely reaches 85 degrees. After 4 years of use, clean your gpu cooler with a duster or a vacumm. Make sure you hold the fans so they dont overspin while cleaning it. And when you repaste the gpu, make sure that you use rubbing alchochol to clean the gpu itself, and put fresh thermal paste. Dont use too little thermal paste, its better to use more. I recommend grizzly or arctic mx silver paste, but for me noctua thermal paste worked perfectly fine.

On 11/12/2022 at 4:31 AM, Dukesilver27- said:

Yea, that card should not be that hot, it is highly unlikely that PSU caused it.

Temps should be between 80-90C, 97C is very close to max operating temps of most GPUs, probably the temps spikes to 100C+ so the GPU shut itself down to prevent damage.

And clock speed really affects power draw therefore heat output, therefore reducing max clock speed helped you.

In general, after 2 years (if you purchased it new), you have to clean it, if still toasty, then thermal paste replacement is in order.

While you're at it, clean the whole PC.

After replacing the thermal paste now the temp does not exceed 60 when stressing and idle 29 and the profile is overclock ..thank you 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:08 PM, UnusualDevices said:

57 minutes ago, Alan GE said:

After replacing the thermal paste now the temp does not exceed 60 when stressing and idle 29 and the profile is overclock ..thank you 

great job! don't forget to select the solution!.

oh you selected someone else even though I recommended repaste first.

53 minutes ago, UnusualDevices said:

great job! don't forget to select the solution!.

oh you selected someone else even though I recommended repaste first.

ops .. now its fixed 😄