What revision is my Poweredge 2900?

da na
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
Just now, Mel0n. said:

Thank you! No clue why I did not think of that, I will check later today.

No worries. NOte: It may, or may not, shed light on anything, but it might help with CPU support (Dells support site typically lists that sort of thing, once you enter in the service tag)

Recently acquired a Poweredge 2900 server, and I am unsure if it is revision I, II, or III (which limits what CPU I can upgrade to). Problem is, Revision I has no special markings like II or III does, so I don't know if I have a Revision I or I am just looking in the wrong place. Apparently there's a small mark on the front bezel to indicate revision, but the big plastic front plate was lost years ago and the actual metal front has no markings indicating revision from what I can find. Board is my next guess. The motherboard is copyright 2006 and has "Revision 0" silkscreened on it. Past that all service tags have been removed, and the original owner has no record of the order form. 
Any help would be appreciated! 

23 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Past that all service tags have been removed,

IIRC, the service tag is embedded in the BIOS.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Mel0n. said:

Thank you! No clue why I did not think of that, I will check later today.

No worries. NOte: It may, or may not, shed light on anything, but it might help with CPU support (Dells support site typically lists that sort of thing, once you enter in the service tag)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ah cool.

I was going to go a different route; I had read that from the service tag you could determine the revision; I, II, or III, and from there I would look at a list of what CPUs were supported for that revision and what BIOS I needed. Your method may be simpler though.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

For future reference of you or anyone finding this thread, 

In Command Prompt:

C:\users\yourname>wmic bios get serialnumber

That'll spit out your serial number/asset tag without even needing to use the BIOS

7 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Never mind, didn't even need to do any of this. It's literally right there on the front haha

image.png.0f0063d67037539c857688a4cc37d113.png

A little III above the power button. How did I not notice?

Because it's very small and easily overlooked. Been there, done that.

What do you plan on doing with this dinosaur?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

What do you plan on doing with this dinosaur?

Adding it to my Team Render render farm.

My school pays for the power here so there's no reason not to use a server I got for free from them. (Team Render lets you use multiple computers over the same network to render a Cinema 4D project - it sends the project to every computer, and they share data on what parts of the image haven't been rendered yet. Available parts of the image can be worked on by any core from any computer until the whole image is done and saved to a location on one of the computers. So throwing an extra 8 cores into the mix will be nice.) Complicated explaination but basically it'll be drawing pretty lines. I'll buy better higher clocked CPUs and 48GB of RAM for it to bring it up to speed, it's worth the cost. Also in the cluster are two LGA1151 servers I own, so knowing how old this one is I won't pour money into it, just want to keep it going for several more years. AKA until I graduate and have to find somewhere to put a 4U 20 year old server that costs $1 a day to run.