Recent updates have screwed up GPU scheduling

williamcll

For some reason on the latest update of windows 10 either on 21H2 or 22H2, if you have GPU scheduling enable it would make your GPU go 100% at all times even when idle. I can't remember what exactly was the reason I turned on GPU scheduling in the first place but it's sure going to be annoying to see this function turned off.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is what you're looking for and yes, it seems to solve a few issues at the moment. I'm not entirely sure who is to blame between Microsoft and 22H2 or Nvidia's latest few drivers. 

I recently have been noticing an issue on my new X670E system where I would get horrible system lag/stutter when opening applications like HWiNFO and CPU-Z but ONLY while it was scanning sensors during the opening phase. Once it was open it was fine. 

Disabling HAGS fixed that.

7 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is what you're looking for and yes, it seems to solve a few issues at the moment. I'm not entirely sure who is to blame between Microsoft and 22H2 or Nvidia's latest few drivers. 

I recently have been noticing an issue on my new X670E system where I would get horrible system lag/stutter when opening applications like HWiNFO and CPU-Z but ONLY while it was scanning sensors during the opening phase. Once it was open it was fine. 

Well I'm or 21H2 and the issue is here as well.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

19 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Nvidias last few drivers are complete dogshit. The most recent one breaks MW2 outright 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Just now, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

Nvidias last few drivers are complete dogshit. The most recent one breaks MW2 outright 

I hear that but at the same time I played through the campaign on the driver previous to the latest just fine. Tried MP and had this flickering issue but there was a hotfix last week that fixed that. So far been smooth sailing. 

Despite turning off GPU scheduling, I've noticed that desktop window manager and steam still consumes a lot of GPU power. For example I run borderlands 3 at wide 2K and I got a fps bump from 75 to 95 just by turning off steam friends. DWM spikes whenever I tab out of the game.

EDIT: turning off animated avatars in the steam friend list settings solved the issue.