How do you explain these prices?

papajo

So here is a list taken from a german price search engine of the cheapest german stores selling a PS5 bundle https://geizhals.eu/?cat=conps5&sort=-p#productlist

image.thumb.png.cfce1bc4f9f4dfee17e650df30adc054.png

And here is a list of a Greek price search engine searching for the cheapest greek stores selling a PS5 bundle https://www.skroutz.gr/c/108/game_consoles/m/2/Sony.html?keyphrase=playstation+5&o=PS5

image.thumb.png.765a5b0438cb54682d29c3586a58bd90.png

Greece is a smaller market (so due to less demand and smaller order sizes prices should be higher) Greece has bigger VAT (24% for greece vs 19% for Germany so the Greek price should be bigger)  and in general importing something to Greece (including shipping charges from postal services) is more expensive. 

Yet PS5 consoles in Greece are cheaper? 

How can this be if there is a "shortage" ? It just that people in greece are poorer so they sell the PS5 cheaper there which means they CAN sell them cheaper they just don't and pretend there is a shortages and sh1t like that just to milk us 

because germans are more wealthy than the greek (who pretty much are recovering from bankruptcy)

and there's more to console profitability than the sales price, if they cqn get a certain percentage of the market, that implies a certain percentage of sales, and a certain appeal to game creators to build for the platform.

also, shortages tend to get 'spread around' even if some markets would pay more than others because no availability at all means people buy something else, enter marketshare here.

Are these from the same retailers or from independant sellers on a market place? 

If it is from the same retailer (i.e, Best Buy in Michigan vs Best Buy in California, or Future Shop for my northern cousins in Canada) seems like a pretty bad practice to sell things at vastly different price points. If they are from different retailers then its the retailer setting the prices they deem suitable for the item. If these are independant sellers, they obviously think they can get the extra 100 euros from Germans vs Greeks and they can set the prices however they want. 

Also, would it not be worth it to buy the ps5 from Greece and have them ship it to Germany? Would shipping exceed the savings from purchasing in Greece vs Germany? I do not know if this is a thing in the EU compared to the States, but I can buy something in Canada or Mexico and not have to pay a crazy import tax to get it. Is that not how the EU operates?

2 hours ago, invaderSnarf said:

Are these from the same retailers or from independant sellers on a market place? 

If it is from the same retailer (i.e, Best Buy in Michigan vs Best Buy in California, or Future Shop for my northern cousins in Canada) seems like a pretty bad practice to sell things at vastly different price points. If they are from different retailers then its the retailer setting the prices they deem suitable for the item. If these are independant sellers, they obviously think they can get the extra 100 euros from Germans vs Greeks and they can set the prices however they want. 

Also, would it not be worth it to buy the ps5 from Greece and have them ship it to Germany? Would shipping exceed the savings from purchasing in Greece vs Germany? I do not know if this is a thing in the EU compared to the States, but I can buy something in Canada or Mexico and not have to pay a crazy import tax to get it. Is that not how the EU operates?

It usually is not worth to buy something from Greece and have it delivered to germany (because Greece has high postal charges as I mentioned in the OP) but looking at these prices it quite possibly is because I doubt you would need more than 80 euro to ship a PS5 from Greece to germany the issue probably is that Germans dont speak Greek and dont know that search engine I used lol 

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

because germans are more wealthy than the greek (who pretty much are recovering from bankruptcy)

and there's more to console profitability than the sales price, if they cqn get a certain percentage of the market, that implies a certain percentage of sales, and a certain appeal to game creators to build for the platform.

also, shortages tend to get 'spread around' even if some markets would pay more than others because no availability at all means people buy something else, enter marketshare here.

I dont even understand your point half of it I already mentioned( for pointing out the oposite conclusion though that's why its hard to understand you) 

What you said (economical imballances purchase power and so on and so furth) existed before e.g on the PS4 and PS3 launch yet PS4 and PS3 was at Sony's MSRP in both Greece and Germany (And like in most countries in the world if not the entire world) 

The issue today is that PS5 prices are like crazy high (even the Greek ones) and Sony says BS stories which if they were true it means that we could not see those prices in Greece, because if the retailers in Greece can offer at these prices (and obviously not for FREE they still make a profit ) while also paying higher VAT and import tax means that the actuall price for acquiring the console from sony is way lower

If you include that the order sizes of Greek retailers are very smaller than the ones of German ones it means that the PS5 can be sold at an even better price than the one Greek retailers get. 

Bottom line is that the issue is that retails (quite possibly with SONY's blessing aka getting a piece of the action under the table from said retailers) making a shit ton of money selling PS5 and they dont care if their orders are less since the profit margins is like 4 times bigger or more compared to their profit margin they had when selling PS4 at launch or PS3 consoles. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, papajo said:

So here is a list taken from a german price search engine of the cheapest german stores selling a PS5 bundle https://geizhals.eu/?cat=conps5&sort=-p#productlist

image.thumb.png.cfce1bc4f9f4dfee17e650df30adc054.png

And here is a list of a Greek price search engine searching for the cheapest greek stores selling a PS5 bundle https://www.skroutz.gr/c/108/game_consoles/m/2/Sony.html?keyphrase=playstation+5&o=PS5

image.thumb.png.765a5b0438cb54682d29c3586a58bd90.png

Greece is a smaller market (so due to less demand and smaller order sizes prices should be higher) Greece has bigger VAT (24% for greece vs 19% for Germany so the Greek price should be bigger)  and in general importing something to Greece (including shipping charges from postal services) is more expensive. 

Yet PS5 consoles in Greece are cheaper? 

How can this be if there is a "shortage" ? It just that people in greece are poorer so they sell the PS5 cheaper there which means they CAN sell them cheaper they just don't and pretend there is a shortages and sh1t like that just to milk us 

Have you used VPN to fake your location as Greece? It shows different prices for me. Maybe it gives you a vat rate depending on the country of the customer? It also might be price regionalization. Greeks are poorer than Germans, so Sony might cut price a little for them, to get more customers which will probably boy games

prices.jpg

Make memes, not drama

1 hour ago, SlothWorkaholic said:

, so Sony might cut price a little for them

Believe me that's NEVER the case in Greece it is going to be either same price or higher priced I am from greece and usually order stuff from Germany 

1 hour ago, SlothWorkaholic said:

Have you used VPN to fake your location as Greece? It shows different prices for me.

It doesnt show different prices your results are sorted by popularity as a filer (Δημοτικότητα) In my screenshot and link Ι sorted the results starting in an ascending order (cheapest to most expensive)