Where can I store computer parts if I don't have their original packaging?

Alexb770
Go to solution Solved by Dukesilver27-,

Basically any box would do, just make sure no form of moisture could get to it.

People have placed their PC parts everywhere, a lot of tech hoarders just put the parts on a shelf in a well ventilated room.

Try looking at some of tech hoarders videos on youtube, their parts still work even if they just store them on a wooden shelf.

Jays Two Cents have their GPUs on wall mounted displays, Linus also store his CPUs on a CPU plastic bin, only protected by a CPU casing to protect the pins.

And yes, you need to reapply thermal paste if it has been in contact with air for quite some time, it will dry out.

Just put together a new build but the motherboard doesn't work right and I need to RMA it. I made the short-sighted decision to throw away most of the parts' packaging and only have one open ESD wrap. Where is a good place to keep my parts until I find them a new motherboard? I have a marble countertop and wood coffee table available, but I'm still worried about static considering the parts are all pretty high end and expensive. 

Also side note, will I need to replace the thermal paste on my AIO's pump? I'll have to separate it from the CPU, and I imagine that'll take some of the paste with it. 

People have placed their PC parts everywhere, a lot of tech hoarders just put the parts on a shelf in a well ventilated room.

Try looking at some of tech hoarders videos on youtube, their parts still work even if they just store them on a wooden shelf.

Jays Two Cents have their GPUs on wall mounted displays, Linus also store his CPUs on a CPU plastic bin, only protected by a CPU casing to protect the pins.

And yes, you need to reapply thermal paste if it has been in contact with air for quite some time, it will dry out.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

9 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Jays Two Cents have their GPUs on wall mount displays, Linus also store his CPUs on a CPU bin, only protected by a CPU casing to protect the pins.

Alright, thanks! Figured putting them in a box wouldn't really matter, just wanted to make sure. 

It's not a bad idea to pick up some static bags if you do much moving around with parts. I've got some Akro-Mils ESD bins as well, which are good for lazily tossing bare parts in.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:29 PM, Dukesilver27- said:

Sorry to bump this a week later but I forgot to ask, does the paste need to be applied to the CPU or cooler? I know it's normally applied to the CPU, but I ask because the cooler came with pre-applied paste. Not sure if that changes anything and just want to be safe. 

If the cooler comes with pre-applied paste, and it still looks like how a thermal paste should look (not a dried up paste) and the amount is enough, then you don't need to reapply the thermal paste at all.

If it is dried up, then just clean it with alcohol, make sure there's no lint afterwards, then apply the thermal paste on the CPU, because it is easier to estimate the amount needed.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

8 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

If the cooler comes with pre-applied paste, and it still looks like how a thermal paste should look (not a dried up paste) and the amount is enough, then you don't need to reapply the thermal paste at all.

If it is dried up, then just clean it with alcohol, make sure there's no lint afterwards, then apply the thermal paste on the CPU, because it is easier to estimate the amount needed.

Alright, thank you. The cooler's been off the CPU for about a week now and the paste is visibly dried up, so I'll have to replace it. Does the alcohol need to be high concentration? Like in the 90% range?

Nah, your average alcohol to clean wounds is enough, like 75% ish.

That's what I've used since my first ever PC.