Problems with DHCP server with Windows 7 64 bit

HottyRat
Go to solution Solved by legopc,

try connecting your laptop to the powerline adapters 

I have a problem with my PC running Windows 7 64 bit where the DHCP server of my ASUS RT-N65U is not able to give an IP address, subnet mask and default gateway. The Local Area Connection adapter now has an APIPA IPv4 address (169.254.205.64), and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0. There is no default gateway. It is set as an Unidentified Public Network even though it is my home network. This happened after I left my VPN over the night, and it had disconnected during the night.

I looked at ipconfig in Command Prompt and saw the APIPA address, so I set up a static IP address (192.168.1.101), subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and a default gateway (192.168.1.1). This did not solve the problem, and the troubleshooter couldn't find the problem. I therefore reinstalled the network drivers, but this did not solve the problem. Resetting the router worked the first time this happened to me, but does not help now. I have tried everything I could find of guides, but nothing has solved my problem.

My motherboard is ASUS Maximus VI Gene with Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V, connected with ethernet to my router through powerline. I am writing this on my laptop connected to the same router through WiFi.

Does anyone have a clue on what I can do to fix this?

Do you have access to your router? If so, make sure that your dhcp is enable  :)

edit: I know some powerline need to be syncronise, if not all of them... You should take a look a that.

"Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?"

-- Maurice Moss

Do you have access to your router? If so, make sure that your dhcp is enable  :)

Yeah, DHCP is working fine on everything else.

My powerline units are synced.

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Well, this is pretty embarrassing. Seems like the middle light which means that the powerlines are synced properly were illuminated by the power and ethernet leds. The powerline was for some reason not properly synced, and after I synced it, everything works fine. Thanks for the help, I can't believe I was stupid enough to not check the powerline properly.