Single Laser And Chip Can Transmit The Whole Internet In Less Than A Second

Afrocomb

The transmission of information is the lifeblood of humanity and we have been able to do it faster and faster. The latest record is so mind-bogglingly fast that to comprehend it, we ought to compare it to the whole internet. Using a single laser...

(Article continued in link)

https://www.iflscience.com/single-laser-and-chip-can-transmit-the-whole-internet-in-less-than-a-second-65884

I don't actually think there are that many wires in backbone channels.

whole countries get served by a single bundle. This doesn't really solve the problem that every single endpoint needs to be plugged in still, requiring millions and millions of individual wires going to homes and businesses.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is awesome. but the claims that it will eliminate thousands of cables seems a little excessive.

You aren't going to prevent having redundancy and disparate systems (isolating emergency, financial, etc) by having more bandwidth.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

When you start talking about backing up data or even running algorithms to comb through servers upon servers of information, I think you can geek out a little on that. 

Especially if it's scalable the way they claim. Imagine going through 5+yrs of data in an instant. 

15 hours ago, Lostsoul29 said:

When you start talking about backing up data or even running algorithms to comb through servers upon servers of information, I think you can geek out a little on that. 

Especially if it's scalable the way they claim. Imagine going through 5+yrs of data in an instant. 

But you still need the processing power to actually process the data in any meaningful way.

you need a modern CPU just to handle the network interrupts from a 1gb connection.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.