Idle temperature problem; Ryzen 7 5700g

DJARI
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 minutes ago, DJARI said:

It never actually hit 85C. I don't remember even having >75C while gaming on it with iGPU. 

I've attached images with a few different situations monitored in Core Temps (1st is on 0% load, 2nd is while launching Batman Arkam Knight, and 3rd is Cinebench R23 Multi-core). Maybe iGPU also adds a few /Celsiuses/ because i have no dedicated GPU.

I feel more comfortable now knowing I'm not ovening my CPU. Thanks.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_21.png

Is PBO enabled? Those frequencies do look a little low from my experience on Zen 3, and about what I'd get when PBO was disabled. Go into the BIOS and see if PBO is enabled, since that should get you a bit better performance. 

Then again, I don't have a ton of experience with the APUs, so it's possible that they just don't clock high at all and that's expected behavior, though I'd highly doubt it. 

I'm having a confusion about idle temperatures on my Ryzen 7 5700g. They are running from 40C to 55C. If I'm doing nothing, and load is 0% on all cores, temperature drops to 40C. But if I use Chrome and Discord at the moment, they ramp up to 55C. 

I'm using Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO with pretty solid BeQuiet thermal paste. Also, air flow is pretty nice so there shouldn't be a problem there. 

Max temps in Cinebench R23 Multi-core test are 65-66C max. I've been messing with fans speed in bios and system is running pretty quiet (40C - 500RPM; 65C - 1000RPM)

I'm wondering if those temps should concern me or not, and why are my idle temps pretty close to full load temps? I'd appreciate any opinion.

Just now, Ryuikko said:

Seems normal to me for that caliber of aio, I wouldn't be concerned

Yeah, I think so too. I'm only confused about idle temps being very close to full load temps. I guess it is what it is.

These temps are not a concern for stock Cezanne.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

4 minutes ago, DJARI said:

If I'm doing nothing, and load is 0% on all cores, temperature drops to 40C. But if I use Chrome and Discord at the moment, they ramp up to 55C. 

That just sounds like Ryzen. Their boost algorithm is incredibly aggressive, so idle temps on those chips are always higher, and under a full load for a long amount of time it will always hit ~85C and stay there, with the only thing changing being the frequency. Because of that, the way that you need to measure cooling performance on a Ryzen chip (and Intel chips as well, but not to the same extent) is to measure the frequency it's hitting, not the temperatures. 

16 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That just sounds like Ryzen. Their boost algorithm is incredibly aggressive, so idle temps on those chips are always higher, and under a full load for a long amount of time it will always hit ~85C and stay there, with the only thing changing being the frequency. Because of that, the way that you need to measure cooling performance on a Ryzen chip (and Intel chips as well, but not to the same extent) is to measure the frequency it's hitting, not the temperatures. 

It never actually hit 85C. I don't remember even having >75C while gaming on it with iGPU. 

I've attached images with a few different situations monitored in Core Temps (1st is while launching Batman Arkam Knight, 2nd is Cinebench R23 Multi-core, and 3rd is 0% load, no apps in background). Maybe iGPU also adds a few /Celsiuses/ because i have no dedicated GPU.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_21.png

2 minutes ago, DJARI said:

I've attached images with a few different situations monitored in Core Temps (1st is on 0% load, 2nd is while launching Batman Arkam Knight, and 3rd is Cinebench R23 Multi-core). Maybe iGPU also adds a few /Celsiuses/ because i have no dedicated GPU.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_21.png

Is PBO enabled? Those frequencies do look a little low from my experience on Zen 3, and about what I'd get when PBO was disabled. Go into the BIOS and see if PBO is enabled, since that should get you a bit better performance. 

Then again, I don't have a ton of experience with the APUs, so it's possible that they just don't clock high at all and that's expected behavior, though I'd highly doubt it. 

23 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Good to know!

It was on Auto, I've just enabled it. 

Temps and wattage are basically the same before and after, max frequency in Cinebench multi core test is around 4500mhz on all cores, and I'm getting a little bit better score in multi core test.

Max temp idle - 40C. 

Max temp multi core test - 69.2C.

• 2 months later...

Using a Noctua NH9L https://noctua.at/en/nh-d9l in a full mesh case, 22C ambient temperature, only 1 rear fan. Hwmonitor reports 58C (136F) and I am barely using it (9% CPU). I have 2 M.2 drives, running quite cool.

So for me it ranges 41-58C while idling drawing 30-50W from the wall and no GPU installed.

I think you can tune the curve on the BIOS for the CPU fan but this is the "optimal config". Just Ryzen avoids going constantly up and down, when it needs performance it goes turbo and once it hits a temp threshold it just halts there to avoid increasing temps. It seems like it likes to idle at rather mid temps, I could have purchased a CPU cooler rated 105W and maybe save 5-10C on idle? maybe, but not needed.

A 5700G CPU is rated 65W albeit it will require up to 88W very easily. Attached image.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 044428.png

• 6 months later...

Hi all

First post on here...

I've just updated to a Ryzen 5700G on an Asus B450M-A II mobo on the latest BIOS.

I was cooling it using the stock AMD Wrath air cooler but swapped to a Corsair H115i Extreme AIO liquid cooler I was using in my old machine.

I am using the Corsair Link4 software (v4.9.9.3) in Silent Mode.

Currently with Google Chrome open and BOINC processing work at 100% on all threads, the temperature of the CPUs are a steady 64°C:

image.png.0ee096dc99c32d252eb88f19b3be9260.png

With no applications open the Idle temperature is a steady 31°C.