PSU Faulty Power Connector?

Alexb770

I was putting together my PC and noticed this PCIe plug was missing two of the gold things inside. Is this okay, or do I need to get a replacement? The PC being powered is fairly high end with a 3080ti and 13700K. 

Edit: Just looked through the other cables and out of my 7 of my PCIe 8 pin connectors, 2 of them aren't missing the gold part. Some of the other different cables are also missing them, so it's making me think this might be normal?

power pin pic.jpg

Edited by Alexb770

Yeah that's not normal but it should work.

Looks like it's missing Sense B is missing, I wouldn't imagine it would cause problems.

Spsgx.png

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

38 minutes ago, solado said:

Yeah that's not normal but it should work.

Looks like it's missing Sense B is missing, I wouldn't imagine it would cause problems.

Spsgx.png

So I'm guessing the pins labeled "Gnd" (which I'm assuming means "ground") is supposed to be missing? I can't say I'm too comfortable with missing a pin though. Seems like it could stir up some issues considering my PC will be fairly high wattage, even though the PSU is a 1000W. 

3 minutes ago, Alexb770 said:

So I'm guessing the pins labeled "Gnd" (which I'm assuming means "ground") is supposed to be missing? I can't say I'm too comfortable with missing a pin though. Seems like it could stir up some issues considering my PC will be fairly high wattage, even though the PSU is a 1000W. 

Missing a gnd is common, just the sense B isn't normally missing while it shouldn't cause problems... BUT

Sense B cables are normally to tell the GPU or what ever PCI card that it's connected to an 8 pin rather than 6 pin supply. It's a way for the GPU to know how much power is avilable. It could impact the performance of the card I guess if it needs access to higher wattage.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x | GPU: RTX 3090 FE | MB: MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: 32gb Ballistix | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Sythe Fuma 2 | Case: Phanteks P600s | Storage: 2TB WD Black SN 750 & 1TB Sabrent Rocket | OS: Windows 11 Pro & Linux Mint

No, it's fine it's normal, it's not bad cables or anything.

The connector with the missing pins goes into the power supply.

The other connector pci-e 6 +2 goes into video card.

Most likely, on the power supply, the headers are the same as for EPS connectors (cpu power 8 pin) which are 4 x +12v wires in a row, 4 ground wires in the second row

As pci-e connectors have only 3 12v wires and 3 or 5 ground wires, it makes sense (and looks nicer) to have only 6 wires going to psu header.

This way on the power supply, they can have both CPU and PCI-e connectors look the same, and you can plug any cable in either connector, and allows for extra flexibility (ex have 2 cpu 8 pin cables, or have only 1 CPU cable and an extra pci-e cable)

Sense B was supposed to be a wire for sensing how much power video card consumes but pretty much no power supply ever implemented it, so both those extra pins are connected to ground, and it's just easier for the manufacturer to connector the two pins to a couple of the 3 ground wires coming from psu.

To be clear ... 

EPS is :

12v   12v   12v   12v      retaining clip at TOP row on motherboard side

GND GND GND GND

pci-e 6+2/8 is:

12v   12v   12v    | GND   retaining clip at BOTTOM row on video card side

GND GND GND | GND