New pc build not starting

Airpurifier

I've recently built a new computer, yet despite all efforts, it doesn't start.

when the psu is switched on, the mobo rgb turns on, but nothing else
when the power button on the case is pressed, the PSU fan starts spinning, and the mobo rgb resets it's cycle

Things I've tried:
reseating ram
resetting CMOS
reseating power button pins
shorting power button pins w/ screwdriver
reseating PSU cables

Parts:
ryzen 9 5900x

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) (F4-3200C16D-32GTZ)
ASUS TUF gaming b550-plus WiFi II
Gigabyte Vision OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB

2x SP M.2 NVMe 1.3 1tb ssd

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Does your motherboard have a diagnostic/post led on it?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

7 minutes ago, Airpurifier said:

I've recently built a new computer, yet despite all efforts, it doesn't start.

when the psu is switched on, the mobo rgb turns on, but nothing else
when the power button on the case is pressed, the PSU fan starts spinning, and the mobo rgb resets it's cycle

Things I've tried:
reseating ram
resetting CMOS
reseating power button pins
shorting power button pins w/ screwdriver
reseating PSU cables

Parts:
ryzen 9 5900x

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) (F4-3200C16D-32GTZ)
ASUS TUF gaming b550-plus WiFi II
Gigabyte Vision OC GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB

2x SP M.2 NVMe 1.3 1tb ssd

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Did you update the bios? b550 doesn't support Ryzen 5000 out of the box

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

4 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Does your motherboard have a diagnostic/post led on it?

I don't think so, I checked the manual and didn't see anything about something like that

3 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Did you update the bios? b550 doesn't support Ryzen 5000 out of the box

oh thanks, i'll try that

from google

Capture.PNG

to the right of the DIMM slots.

What do those leds show when you try to turn it on?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

update: flashed new BIOS, and originally stated problems still persist

19 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

from google

Capture.PNG

to the right of the DIMM slots.

What do those leds show when you try to turn it on?

none of them do anything when I try to turn it on

Just now, KhakiHat said:

Do any other fans turn on when you boot besides the PSU fan? GPU, CPU? 

nope, just the psu fan

1 hour ago, Airpurifier said:

When this happens, is it like the computer shuts off and comes back on? If so it might just be memory training. Leave it to do it's thing. New AMD builds can take a few minutes for memory training. 

Can you post a picture of your computer with no side panel? We might be able to see something not hooked up or hooked up wrong.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Airpurifier said:

nope, just the psu fan

Does your display turn on and just not display anything or does your display not respond at all?

You mentioned this being a new build, does that mean there is an old building around or is this your first build?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

When this happens, is it like the computer shuts off and comes back on? If so it might just be memory training. Leave it to do it's thing. New AMD builds can take a few minutes for memory training. 

Can you post a picture of your computer with no side panel? We might be able to see something not hooked up or hooked up wrong.

I don't really know, as nothing is spinning, and all I hear is a click in the power supply region

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

Does your display turn on and just not display anything or does your display not respond at all?

You mentioned this being a new build, does that mean there is an old building around or is this your first build?

the display does not turn on whatsoever, and this is also my first build

1 minute ago, Airpurifier said:

I don't really know, as nothing is spinning, and all I hear is a click in the power supply region

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Airpurifier said:

the display does not turn on whatsoever, and this is also my first build

PC OFF before all of this of course 🙂 

Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots, you could also try just booting with one stick of RAM just to narrow the problem list down a little.

I'd maybe even try to remove the GPU and then see if your CPU fan kicks on. Also a simple way of narrowing down your troubleshooting, even though you won't have a display output, that's not really the point of the experiment.

EDIT: Is your PSU plugged in with whatever it needs? (Both plugged in on the motherboard and with a PSU cable if available)

2 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

PC OFF before all of this of course 🙂 

Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots, you could also try just booting with one stick of RAM just to narrow the problem list down a little.

I'd maybe even try to remove the GPU and then see if your CPU fan kicks on. Also a simple way of narrowing down your troubleshooting, even though you won't have a display output, that's not really the point of the experiment.

ok I'll try that when I can

43 minutes ago, Airpurifier said:

ok I'll try that when I can

update: neither of those worked

14 minutes ago, Airpurifier said:

Here’s what it looks like

Double check what connector is on the top left of the motherboard, it splits to 2 4 pin cables?

It also looks like you forgot to plug the 24 pin connector into the power supply.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.f4fe7ef973c41211ea8c8f242f16a893.png

That might just be the way it got flipped to go into the case playing tricks on my eyes. The white lettering looks long enough to be the "Peripheral and Sata" ports, but that looks like it should be the 24 pin ATX side.

That power supply came with enough cables to use different PCIE cables to each power slot on the graphics card, you may as well do that too. 

Spoiler

image.png.7a6328af80564d784b55a633102ca98b.png

What in the world CPU cooler did you get that uses the Molex connector? For now, I'd also disconnect that fan hub that's just floating in space from power.

Really, it looks like you should have a whole lot more power connectors plugged into that power supply than you do. 

Mind listing as many of your components as you can so I can understand why you have stuff hooked up how you do?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

23 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Double check what connector is on the top left of the motherboard, it splits to 2 4 pin cables?

It also looks like you forgot to plug the 24 pin connector into the power supply.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.f4fe7ef973c41211ea8c8f242f16a893.png

That might just be the way it got flipped to go into the case playing tricks on my eyes. The white lettering looks long enough to be the "Peripheral and Sata" ports, but that looks like it should be the 24 pin ATX side.

That power supply came with enough cables to use different PCIE cables to each power slot on the graphics card, you may as well do that too. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.7a6328af80564d784b55a633102ca98b.png

What in the world CPU cooler did you get that uses the Molex connector? For now, I'd also disconnect that fan hub that's just floating in space from power.

Really, it looks like you should have a whole lot more power connectors plugged into that power supply than you do. 

Mind listing as many of your components as you can so I can understand why you have stuff hooked up how you do?

the connector in the top right of the mobo splits into a 6 pin cable and a 2 pin cable
the 24 pin atx cord was in fact plugged in, just in the very back of the image displaying the psu

the other components in this build are:
Jonsbo cr-1400 9cm side-blown cpu radiator

6x antec f12 120mm case fans
Corsair 4000d (case)

the connector in the top right of the mobo splits into a 6 pin cable and a 2 pin cable

That's the wrong cable. Use the 4+4 pin cable. The computer isn't starting because the 6+2 pin cable is wired differently than the 4+4 pin cable. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

That's the wrong cable. Use the 4+4 pin cable. The computer isn't starting because the 6+2 pin cable is wired differently than the 4+4 pin cable. 

update: the cable plugged into the cpu slot was actually a 4+4 pin, not a 6+2 pin like I thought

update: the cable plugged into the cpu slot was actually a 4+4 pin, not a 6+2 pin like I thought

In that case, remove the motherboard from the case. There's some weird connectors there, and this will limit everything else.

Put the motherboard on the box it came in with the CPU, cooler, and graphics card plugged in. No fans, no fan hubs, just the bare minimum. Will it start now?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Also, what does this connector go to. It looks like it goes to your cpu cooler, but it's got a molex connector and your cooler has a regular 4 pin fan connector that would go to the motherboard.

image.png.79df9d6f28e3c38b9dd7e8e725be9946.png

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?