Coming back to gaming need advice.

Hvythrtl

Budget (including currency): 2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: any game I would like to play but mostly csgo, and battlefield and call of duty

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have an old 2560x1440 144hz monitor from Samsung and my old pc which still works mind you which is a i7 6700k with a gtx 980ti. I want to upgrade to something that can handle smooth pretty graphics. But newer components like what would be a 980ti equal in the 3000 series? And what would be a good upgrade for my 6700k? This is a very open ended question.

Tbh i would just upgrade the CPU Motherboard and GPU then, if you want to stay in the DDR4 range. 

Just go AMD 5900x with a 3080 if you'd like, i'm running that at the moment and its running all the games your asking about on ultra.

1 minute ago, Jinsoku_ said:

Tbh i would just upgrade the CPU Motherboard and GPU then, if you want to stay in the DDR4 range. 

Just go AMD 5900x with a 3080 if you'd like, i'm running that at the moment and its running all the games your asking about on ultra.

Thats basically a whole new PC, as the only thing youd be able to transfer accross is the drive and RAM. As you'd definitely need a new PSU for the 3080.

7 minutes ago, Hvythrtl said:

Budget (including currency): 2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: any game I would like to play but mostly csgo, and battlefield and call of duty

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I have an old 2560x1440 144hz monitor from Samsung and my old pc which still works mind you which is a i7 6700k with a gtx 980ti. I want to upgrade to something that can handle smooth pretty graphics. But newer components like what would be a 980ti equal in the 3000 series? And what would be a good upgrade for my 6700k? This is a very open ended question.

I'd wait until 4080 comes out, as 4090 seems a little extreme.

1 minute ago, Tom_nerd said:

Thats basically a whole new PC, as the only thing youd be able to transfer accross is the drive and RAM. As you'd definitely need a new PSU for the 3080.

Yes it is, i definitely would upgrade from the 6700k since you don't have TPM 2.0 and a lot of newer games are forcing people to turn it on and if you want to run windows 11 it's also better to have it.

Just have a thought about the 4000 series, (4080) but then just think if its worth the power costs xD

I did the same a while back, its a big cost but it'll run for years again.

7 minutes ago, Jinsoku_ said:

depends, the ram they are using could be 2400mt/s garbage that will play nice with a 6700K but will severely limit more modern CPUs, especially ryzen. We really need full system specs to make an informed decision.

3 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

depends, the ram they are using could be 2400mt/s garbage that will play nice with a 6700K but will severely limit more modern CPUs, especially ryzen. We really need full system specs to make an informed decision.

I agree! 

@Hvythrl could you give us a full speclist?

Well my current system is a 6700k, 980ti, 3200mz ddr4 16 gigs, 550 watt power supply, cryptography h7 tower cooler, lol 3.5 2tb hard drive with a Samsung ssd for boot. I

8 hours ago, Hvythrtl said:

Well my current system is a 6700k, 980ti, 3200mz ddr4 16 gigs, 550 watt power supply, cryptography h7 tower cooler, lol 3.5 2tb hard drive with a Samsung ssd for boot. I

In that case you should be good keeping the ram you have. I have included 32gb kits in both of my part lists just in case you want to keep the old ram with the system it’s in right now and sell that or give it to a friend/sibling/kid etc as a package. If you do so I would advise getting a bigger (1tb or 2tb) PCIe 4.0 drive instead of the small one in my list.

I would get a 5800x3D (very fast in gaming but a good bit expensive than the 12600K, which is also quite fast and good for consideration) and a 6700xt or 3070. The 6700xt is better value but slightly less powerful, especially in ray tracing- still plenty powerful though. If you want max settings for years to come I would get a 6900xt as they are very cheap rn comparatively.  

Here’s a more modest but very powerful PCPartPicker list for significantly less than budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TVVz9r

And here’s the much more baller one with a 5800x3D and 6900xt. Still very much within budget. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z2dQgb

Note: on my end, the list includes 8% sales tax (which I use so that I don’t build a PC for someone that goes over budget when tax is added)

I added a comparatively small (500gb), fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive with a DRAM cache for your boot drive, you can use your old SSD for games and stuff.