2 SSD's burned up and M.2 forgot all it's windows install - but why!?

uno99

Today I upgraded my PSU from a Seasonic prime titanium 650w to a EVGA P3 1200w, and my GPU from 5700x to 6900XT.

I started a DDU in safemode and selected it to shutdown when finished. I walked away for a few hours and when I came back the system was off as expected.

I pulled the computer out and replaced the PSU. I decided to use the old SATA pwr cables from the Seasonic since they're the same (was this my mistake?), I used the new mobo, GPU and CPU cables though.

I checked that everything was connected fine and reconnected all my stuff, but when I powered on I got a "no boot device" message, and that's when I smelled burning.

To make a long story short after some troubleshooting I found that my 2 SATA drives were burned up at the pwr connectors, and I had to completely reinstall windows. Repair wasn't an option.

My 2 HDD where all my important shit is stored are thankfully ok.

Did I do a dumb-dumb?

3 minutes ago, uno99 said:

(was this my mistake?)

3 minutes ago, uno99 said:

Did I do a dumb-dumb?

Yep.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

3 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

Yep.

Ok but how are they different?

Why did my M.2 sperg out?

There's a short somewhere allowing for wall outlet power to go into and through the motherboard. Since it's likely you fried other components, I recommend replacing it with a new computer. But I'm thinking the PSU is bad, this can be checked with a volt meter to verify that the output is correct.

6 minutes ago, uno99 said:

I decided to use the old SATA pwr cables from the Seasonic since they're the same (was this my mistake?)

That's the problem. Pinouts between the power supply side and cables can differ, but not between the cable and component end.

7 minutes ago, uno99 said:

Did I do a dumb-dumb?

A big one. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 hours ago, Thomas4 said:

There's a short somewhere allowing for wall outlet power to go into and through the motherboard. Since it's likely you fried other components, I recommend replacing it with a new computer. But I'm thinking the PSU is bad, this can be checked with a volt meter to verify that the output is correct.

Seems like everything is OK now, just played Cyberpunk on the new GPU. 
I hope that's the end of my problems 😳

• 2 weeks later...

Well everything is not OK. I'm getting lots of crashes in cyberpunk. Trying to run Prime95 now and I'm getting crashes.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 2.020321878e+10, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 960K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

Is my whole computer fucked?

Should I just start with replacing the MOBO and M.2 and hope everything else is OK?

On 10/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, uno99 said:

Well everything is not OK. I'm getting lots of crashes in cyberpunk. Trying to run Prime95 now and I'm getting crashes.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 2.020321878e+10, expected less than 0.4

Is my whole computer fucked?

Should I just start with replacing the MOBO and M.2 and hope everything else is OK?

The only way to know at this point is start replacing the clearly burned parts and slowly trouble shoot till the errors are gone. 

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.

On 10/31/2022 at 6:57 PM, NekoBubbles said:

The only way to know at this point is start replacing the clearly burned parts and slowly trouble shoot till the errors are gone. 

Problem solved! It was just an out of date BIOS?!
without known good parts to swap things in and out, I swallowed my pride and took my rig to a computer store. They told me it was just the bios. I'm a bit shocked since I didn't think my bios was that old and I didn't think it could cause that level of stability problems..., but sure enough everything is working great now.

On 11/4/2022 at 4:23 PM, uno99 said:

Problem solved! It was just an out of date BIOS?!
without known good parts to swap things in and out, I swallowed my pride and took my rig to a computer store. They told me it was just the bios. I'm a bit shocked since I didn't think my bios was that old and I didn't think it could cause that level of stability problems..., but sure enough everything is working great now.

Well that was a lucky thing 😺

I love PC building and gaming. 
REMEMBER botttlenecks can happen at all points of a PC part. Make sure you are at equilibrium. For all parts unless you intend to upgrade at a later point. Also QA Tested AAA Games.