AMD FX-8350 overheating with CoolerMaster 212 EVO

Yes yes yes, i know i have an old computer and yes im looking in to upgrading when prices go down a bit more.

I made my system in late 2015 so i think it was decent at the time. But since i bought it it was always running a bit hotter than i would have liked, my cpu (FX-8350) was regularly running at over 80c when gaming more demanding games with a CoolerMaster 212 EVO. I looked in to the subject a bit and learned that the fx-8350 likes to run hot and that its normal, but looking at much more powerful new cpus from intel and amd i cant imagine that 80c+ temp on an older cpu with a good cooler are normal. I dont have an overclock, i have 4 case fans generating positive air pressure inside the case, room is well ventilated.

I'm trying to figure out if my situation is really normal or not, and is there a cheap fix since i dont want to invest in an old system.

yes it's normal for buldozer cpu to run at that temp.

normal temp depend on the cpu generation, for early AM4 ryzen it's relatively cooler than later 5000 series.

AM5 ryzen normal temp is 90-100c, so back to buldozer era.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

normal temp depend on the cpu generation, for early AM4 ryzen it's relatively cooler than later 5000 series.

Right, thank you for the answer. So coping with it for a bit more time is the solution. 🙂

30 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Just curious, the only info I can find on the FX-8350 is for the Black Edition, indicating 61C max temp. What am I missing here?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, An0maly_76 said:

Just curious, the only info I can find on the FX-8350 is for the Black Edition, indicating 61C max temp. What am I missing here?

Likely tcase (ihs) max temp not tjunction (cpu die) max temp, and i think most cpus start throttling at 100c

25 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Likely tcase (ihs) max temp not tjunction (cpu die) max temp, and i think most cpus start throttling at 100c

Perhaps, but most I've seen that made that distinction stated it in parentheses, which is absent from what I'm finding. What's interesting is the 8350 is stated as Piledriver, while the 8320 is stated as Bulldozer, but both state 61C. I can understand a 30C difference between Die and TJunc, though, which would put it around 90C as stated. Just kinda strange that the info I'm finding doesn't note TJunction.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

My Old Chip, Vry Easy to OC. I had it clocked to over 5ghz for nearly 10 years and it still runs colder than my 5600x stock today, Idle temps could be as low as 15.20c on the 8350.  with a hyper 212.

The new achitecture runs much hotter

Are you running AMD Cool and Quiet setting in bios? So the clocks can turn down at idle and draw less power?

24 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

Are you running AMD Cool and Quiet setting in bios? So the clocks can turn down at idle and draw less power?

I'm not running Cool and Quiet setting, because the idle temps are around 30-35c. But gaming is a different story with it even shutting down to protect it self from frying.

edit. i also think it may be that the case is bad for airflow (thermaltake versa n21)

Edited by Garri3105

When did you last replace the Thermal paste on cpu?

The case isnt the best for air flow but the hyper 212 alone should handle the cpu with ease in my experience.

4 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

When did you last replace the Thermal paste on cpu?

The case isnt the best for air flow but the hyper 212 alone should handle the cpu with ease in my experience.

I replaced the thermal paste about 2 months ago so it should be fine, its CoolerMaster mastergel pro so i think its decent thermal paste. I'm confident i have done it correctly. I'm also running with my case open and temps are around 50c when gaming but its not ideal since i get more dust in there.

16 minutes ago, Garri3105 said:

I replaced the thermal paste about 2 months ago so it should be fine, its CoolerMaster mastergel pro so i think its decent thermal paste. I'm confident i have done it correctly. I'm also running with my case open and temps are around 50c when gaming but its not ideal since i get more dust in there.

Oh then theres your god damn problem

You have an absolutely abysmal pos pc bake oven case hence the terrible temps, what case?

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Oh then theres your god damn problem

You have an absolutely abysmal pos pc bake oven case hence the terrible temps, what case?

The case is Thermaltake versa n21, you are right about it but since i will probably be upgrading and dont know any good cases for airflow can you recommend me a few?

What i did earlier in the year was buy the case, build my old pc back into it, so thats an option rather than buying a cheaper option that wont perhaps last as long.

6 minutes ago, Garri3105 said:

The case is Thermaltake versa n21, you are right about it but since i will probably be upgrading and dont know any good cases for airflow can you recommend me a few?

id just run with the open sidepanel and if you want you can mod a mesh sidepanel with some cheap neodymium magnets and mosquito mesh if you have your pc under your desk or you just want a sidepanel, the industrial look that itd give seems to fit the case since it is an older case, but like seriously dust is just not that much of an issue, just clean once in awhile and itll be fine, its only an issue if you are lazy

thank you for great ideas! I dont want to buy a new case because the more i buy the bigger discount is at the store. So it makes sense to buy a whole pc without a case because it saves money. I'll stick with an open case for now until i assemble a whole new system.

Kinda ironic that THERMALtake makes a case thats bad for thermals. 

10 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

What's interesting is the 8350 is stated as Piledriver, while the 8320 is stated as Bulldozer

Bulldozer piledriver, poteto potato.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Bulldozer piledriver, poteto potato.

I get that, I'm just curious why they don't distinguish die temp or TJunc with these. Maybe that wasn't a thing just yet?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I still have a FX-8350 on an ASUS Sabertooth 900FX R2.0 with a CoolerMaster 212 EVO cooling it. Idle temps are in the teens (15-18) and gaming 43 to 51. I did have to re-paste it a few years back, but it remains cool still to this day. GPU is a MSI 970 and Display is 1080p, Case CoolerMaster H500p Mesh. I will say, try re-applying your thermal paste and see if that brings the temps down to your liking. 

Fractal Torrent / Asus ROG Maximum XII Hero (Wi-Fi) / i9-10900k / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black/ Noctua NT-H1/ Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 3200MHz CL16 / Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC/ LG C1 OLED 48"/2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB/ Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB / 1 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD / EVGA 1200 Supernova PSU

1 minute ago, Insaneone said:

I still have a FX-8350 on an ASUS Sabertooth 900FX R2.0 with a CoolerMaster 212 EVO cooling it. Idle temps are in the teens (15-18) and gaming 43 to 51. I did have to re-paste it a few years back, but it remains cool still to this day. GPU is a MSI 970 and Display is 1080p, Case Cooler Master H500p Mesh. I will say, try re-applying your thermal paste and see if that brings the temps to your liking. 

The idle temps are probably wrong unless ambient is near 0c. The temp reading for the FX-8350 is inaccurate at low temps and is more accurate as it approaches the max operating temperature (Tjmax) since it's derived from an offset / thermal margin. It's explained well here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3vcymu/heres_how_to_correctly_read_the_temperature_of/

Using the Thermal Margin reading would be better. Higher thermal margin is better. AMD Overdrive was the best option but the webpage now redirects to Ryzen Master. I'm not sure if Ryzen Master supports FX-8350 but you can certainly give it a try. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The idle temps are probably wrong unless ambient is near 0c. The temp reading for the FX-8350 is inaccurate at low temps and is more accurate as it approaches the max operating temperature (Tjmax) since it's derived from an offset / thermal margin. It's explained well here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3vcymu/heres_how_to_correctly_read_the_temperature_of/

Using the Thermal Margin reading would be better. Higher thermal margin is better. AMD Overdrive was the best option but the webpage now redirects to Ryzen Master. I'm not sure if Ryzen Master supports FX-8350 but you can certainly give it a try. https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

Like I said Idle Temps are 15c to 18c, room temp is 21c. Temps while I play some non-triple A games 43c to 51c. I use CUPID HWMonitor to get my temps. I don't know why what I am seeing and reading off is wrong?

Fractal Torrent / Asus ROG Maximum XII Hero (Wi-Fi) / i9-10900k / Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black/ Noctua NT-H1/ Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb 3200MHz CL16 / Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC/ LG C1 OLED 48"/2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB/ Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB / 1 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD / EVGA 1200 Supernova PSU

3 minutes ago, Insaneone said:

Like I said Idle Temps are 15c to 18c, room temp is 21c.

Idle temps can't be lower than ambient. The temp reading is faulty. 

The reddit thread I linked explains how the temperature reading for the FX-8350 is derived. TL; DR is that it's inaccurate until it reaches the max operating temperature. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Idle temps can't be lower than ambient. The temp reading is faulty. 

The reddit thread I linked explains how the temperature reading for the FX-8350 is derived. TL; DR is that it's inaccurate until it reaches the max operating temperature. 

SO what I see on CPUID HWMonitor is wrong? So how much higher is my Idle temps? Not trying to be a problem here just asking because that is what I use on all my computers to monitor my temps. If this monitoring software is wrong, i will search for another. 

4 minutes ago, Insaneone said:

SO what I see on CPUID HWMonitor is wrong? So how much higher is my Idle temps? Not trying to be a problem here just asking because that is what I use on all my computers to monitor my temps. If this monitoring software is wrong, i will search for another. 

Yes but the issue is due to how the sensor on the FX-8350 works. I don't know of any accurate way to read idle temps for that cpu. Idle temps are typically >10c above ambient so probably >30c in your case. 

The best option is to look at the a thermal margin reading instead of a temperature reading since low idle temps don't really matter.