Decent budget 3d printer.

jaslion

So I have a ender 3d v2 and I like the area it can print.

Thats it. Everything else I hate about it and it's a pos. I've replaced half the printer because it's just been breaking left and right. I think I've only had 60 successful prints and maybe at this point 1000 fails. I literally have a garbage bag 2/3's full of failed prints. Whatever it was supposed to do to help me and make prototyping things faster it did not and tonight has been it. I almost tossed it in the garbage if my roommate didnt stop me because for some reason it just decided to yeet it's rubber heat shield on a 20 hour print that only had an hour left and it failed.

it printed best in the first 3 weeks we had it. Then about half the successful prints were made after that it's been one thing after the other that went wrong and it's been causing me so much stress and agony I never want to touch it again and literally put it on the street for free.

I just want a 3d printer where I load in my model, hit the print button and it prints. NOTHING ELSE. I am super done with this crap and huge waste of time.

Sorry if I sound frustrated it's because I am. It once again failed and this is it i'm kicking it out.

isn't there techniques to the print though? like support columns and material use?

• CPU
    I7 12700KF
  • Motherboard
    MSI Tomahawk z690 WIFI DDR4
  • RAM
    16gb Vengeance Pro
  • GPU
    RTX 3070 TI
  • Case
    NZXT H700i
  • Storage
    crucial P2 500gb m.2
    Raid 0 16tb server
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000X
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PG259QN 360hz
    ASUS PG278QE 165hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT KRAKEN X62
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K95P Brown
    Ducky one 2 SF Silver
  • Mouse
    Razer Viper Ultimate
    logitech pro superlight x
  • Sound
    DT 990 PRO

Just now, Fl0yd- said:

isn't there techniques to the print though? like support columns and material use?

Yeah I'm aware of all of that. No issues doing that or anything.

But it's literally failing printing a FLAT BIG SIMPLE emblem with a roll of good quality abs that has never been an issue.

It's just a pos thats all it is.

Just now, jaslion said:

But it's literally failing printing a FLAT BIG SIMPLE emblem with a roll of good quality abs that has never been an issue.

at least you learned something out of it

• CPU
    I7 12700KF
  • Motherboard
    MSI Tomahawk z690 WIFI DDR4
  • RAM
    16gb Vengeance Pro
  • GPU
    RTX 3070 TI
  • Case
    NZXT H700i
  • Storage
    crucial P2 500gb m.2
    Raid 0 16tb server
  • PSU
    Corsair RM1000X
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PG259QN 360hz
    ASUS PG278QE 165hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT KRAKEN X62
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K95P Brown
    Ducky one 2 SF Silver
  • Mouse
    Razer Viper Ultimate
    logitech pro superlight x
  • Sound
    DT 990 PRO

1 minute ago, Fl0yd- said:

at least you learned something out of it

Yeah. My lesson was to just go back to using protoplast :p.

23 hours ago, jaslion said:

Are you dealing with particularly challenging materials?

I use a Prusa i3 MkS3+ (ish) at work and its really great. The MMU2S is a PITA, but I think wit ha series of mods finally got it stable.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Are you dealing with particularly challenging materials?

I use a Prusa i3 MkS3+ (ish) at work and its really great. The MMU2S is a PITA, but I think wit ha series of mods finally got it stable.

Bog standard white abs. I really amd just looking for a 3d printer that is low maintenance and that I can rely on to work. So that when something happens it's 99% of the time my 3d model being an issue instead of the printer just saying nope.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Bog standard white abs. I really amd just looking for a 3d printer that is low maintenance and that I can rely on to work. So that when something happens it's 99% of the time my 3d model being an issue instead of the printer just saying nope.

I would say ABS is more difficult to print than its worth. If your objects can survive being PLA or PETG I think your life may be easier

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I would say ABS is more difficult to print than its worth. If your objects can survive being PLA or PETG I think your life may be easier

Sorry I meant pla. I confused it. It's just standard pla that works fine in other printers but not mine.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

It's more expensive, but I do believe the Prusa machines are the sweet spot for out-of-the-box reliability. Heated bed, mesh levelling, dual lead screws, nice software. At least that's my opinion. As I said above, the only thing thats a PITA is multi-material printing, but I assume the Ender V3 doesn't do that anyway.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Ender V3 doesn't do that anyway

It's an option buttttt

Dont

Just Do not

Its not worth

Nobody will save you

😛

Prusa machines do really look like that ones that seem to be reliable and have that it just works kinda deal. I dont even use multi material printing or have a use for it as the prints are just prototypes or if they get used the material isn't really important.

for the price of a Prusa you are well into the FlashForge lines something like a Creator Pro 2 or Adventurer 4 have full enclosures so atmosphere issues go away. Those really are walk up and print devices designed for schools and non-3d printer tinkerers. If it's leaning more towards ABS+PLA vs flexible filament the Prusas are overkill IMO, they have great quality but have the same setup and calibration you would do for an Ender so it's not 100% walk up and hit print workflow. 

I just upgraded my ender 3 to direct drive and a 0.6mm nozzle for faster prints but from the amount of time and money I've put into it, I should have gone with an Ender5plus or FlashForge Creator Pro. (Learned a ton about how to tune and setup which will help on future printers now that I'm rapidly outgrowing the capability of the Ender3 so it's not like it was a total waste of money)

do you have any photos of the failed prints? is it looking like bed adhesion, hot end turning into a blob, print lifting halfway through, layers out of alignment? maybe it's something overlooked like e-step calibration when you swapped to ABS or a simpler fix than fully replacing the printer.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it