LTT Movie Club!

Takumidesh
1 minute ago, fpo said:

I feel like there were some movies I was planning to see but I forgot what they were. 

I saw one movie called the devil wears Prada. I'm Curious if that was worth seeing. 

I've seen bits and pieces of it but I've never watched it all the way through. It's basically about a woman who gets a job working for a mean boss at a fashion magazine and all the bitchy gossipy shit that goes along with it. Not my sort of movie.

12 minutes ago, fpo said:

The jungle cruise is... Well it's a teen movie so you can take it that way and be cool with it. 

The first third of the movie is imo stupid ish. You'll immediately know what you're in for for the first third when you start watching it. After that, I think the movie gets better. Still more a 2/5. So like if it's on, it might be worth your time to just watch it. I wouldn't say it's a "let's see jungle cruise!" 

I passed on the movie after seeing how awful and green screened everything looked in the trailer. Doesn't seem like I missed out on much.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Do you want to watch a movie or spend months learning a language?

I've been learning Russian on and off for the last 3 years, and I think the only conversations I could carry in Russian would be those of a drunk person who is upset and hungry.

I know a bit. I took a formal class on it and have the pimmsleur method. 

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I feel like teen movies don't mean what they used to mean. I hear "teen movie" and my mind jumps to Marty McFly and Ferris Bueller before anything else. Not sure anything made in the last 30-40 years really counts as a teen movie anymore....

Modern teen movie? 

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

I've seen bits and pieces of it but I've never watched it all the way through. It's basically about a woman who gets a job working for a mean boss at a fashion magazine and all the bitchy gossipy shit that goes along with it. Not my sort of movie.

Ah okay. I know there's a few good "chick flicks" that go unnoticed. 

Guess it's not one of those. 

I passed on the movie after seeing how awful and green screened everything looked in the trailer. Doesn't seem like I missed out on much.

Yeah the cgi is like "journey to the center of the earth" or a small step below. 

I think the movie is just a collection of check boxes but made by semi-to fully competent people so it's not terrible. 

Just not great. 

Check box spoilers:

Spoiler

English lead, check. 

Girl protagonist who is always right, check. 

Animal sidekick, check. 

Buff dude who's a daring brave dude, check. 

Evil German guy, check. 

Goofy English dweeb supporting character, check. 

Buff dude falls in love with "likeable" English protagonist lead, check.

Guy who is mean to our daring buff dude gets his business building destroyed, check. 

Reminder that the Spanish are evil conquerors of South America, check. 

Evil curse, check. 

Pompous English old man elitism, check. 

Insulting said English old man elite, check. 

Thunderous applause from the segregated women's seating, check. 

So on. 

It has everything going against it but it doesn't suck. I think the target audience is 8~15 year old girls. 

Thinking back to school, the girls at those ages enjoyed movies like this. 

7 hours ago, fpo said:

Modern teen movie?

I feel like teen movies in the last 20 years have left the classic "coming of age" storyline where the dorky hero learns good life lessons, gets the girl, that kind of stuff. Again, I think back to the 80s. Even Harry Potter would be a suitable addition, I would say.

I'm not immediately aware of any modern movies that would fit this kind of bill.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I feel like teen movies in the last 20 years have left the classic "coming of age" storyline where the dorky hero learns good life lessons, gets the girl, that kind of stuff. Again, I think back to the 80s. Even Harry Potter would be a suitable addition, I would say.

I'm not immediately aware of any modern movies that would fit this kind of bill.

They tend to be more fun adventures which is fun. 

Maybe there's something about the cockiness some heros have in teen summer adventure movies that bothers me. 

Like it's not cockiness that's earned. 

6 hours ago, fpo said:

They tend to be more fun adventures which is fun. 

Maybe there's something about the cockiness some heros have in teen summer adventure movies that bothers me. 

Like it's not cockiness that's earned. 

Nothing wrong with adventures, but I definitely agree the characters aren't good.

Feels like most teen characters embody that kind of cocky, sarcastic, sassy attitude these days.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

This guys got a point. Star Wars titles make no sense.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

Star Wars make no sense.

FTFY 😉

(and originally I read "titles" as "titties"...yes, I"m tired)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

FTFY 😉

(and originally I read "titles" as "titties"...yes, I"m tired)

As far as I recall, there aren't 3 boobed aliens etc., like Total Recall. You can rest easy that there's only normal titties in star wars.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

Oh yeah! 

I saw taxi driver finally. 

I'm not sure if I said that but I saw it. 

It's a pretty long quiet movie so I think I missed a lot of the monologues cuz airplane movie watching. (Why taxi driver is an in flight movie? Listen... We don't get paid to ask questions.)

It's definitely an older movie. 

I think a lotta people jive wit it cuz

Spoiler

the protagonist is set on protecting a child. 

I'm not sure if editing the movie down would make it better or not. 

I think I'd have to watch it again to say, but I don't think I want to watch that movie again. 

Say 3~4 out of 5 depending on the movies you're into. 

I'd say it's more subjective to how good it is than objective. 

IE star wars episode 5 is objectively a great movie. 

Just watched 3:10 to Yuma. Would thoroughly recommend it. 

Spoiler

Christian Bale plays a struggling rancher who takes a job transporting a dangerous outlaw (Russell Crowe) to a prison transport. 

Just watched 3:10 to Yuma. Would thoroughly recommend it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Christian Bale plays a struggling rancher who takes a job transporting a dangerous outlaw (Russell Crowe) to a prison transport. 

One of my favorites. Glad you liked it!

I can heartily suggest to skip Fast X.

Even if you are a fan of the franchise (I had my fill around 6, but the latest one advertised Han driving an Alfa, so I had to see that part) it's a goddamn mess.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 6/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I can heartily suggest to skip Fast X.

Even if you are a fan of the franchise (I had my fill around 6, but the latest one advertised Han driving an Alfa, so I had to see that part) it's a goddamn mess.

I lost a family vote and got subjected to Fast & Furious 9: Dom & Dommer. Good lord. It was a good job we were on holiday so I was able to turn it into a game where I had a drink each time I went WTF.  

I was fairly tipsy from Dom showing up to special black ops raids in tight white tank tops and jeans.

I was a bit drunk when they were trying to convince us Vin Diesel & John Cena were related. Just forgot to mention it after spending 8 films endlessly banging on about family.

I was drunk when they somehow mackled a car into a space ship, but could only manage scuba gear for space suits.

Then Han showed up. He exploded in one of the earlier films. You saw him explode. Then he rocks up, looking noticeably unexploded, and explains that his plan for not exploding was to simply not be in the car when it exploded. Merely a matter of instantly teleporting 20m away behind a wall nanoseconds before exploding. 

Shit the bed that night.

24 minutes ago, ExInferis said:

Then Han showed up. He exploded in one of the earlier films. You saw him explode. Then he rocks up, looking noticeably unexploded, and explains that his plan for not exploding was to simply not be in the car when it exploded. Merely a matter of instantly teleporting 20m away behind a wall nanoseconds before exploding.

Didn't he explode in Tokyo Drift also? That seems to be something I recall happening.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Didn't he explode in Tokyo Drift also? That seems to be something I recall happening.

Yeah that was the one. He was pinned in a mangled wreck, then exploded. These films are nonsense on stilts.

1 minute ago, ExInferis said:

Yeah that was the one. He was pinned in a mangled wreck, then exploded. These films are nonsense on stilts.

I kind of treat them as a guilty pleasure action franchise.

If I want to just turn my brain off and enjoy fast cars, explosions, guns, and family.....there's only one franchise for that.

49 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If I want to just turn my brain off

There's only so much you can turn it off before you go vegetative...

Case in point, the latest Fast X...a trap is set for some of the characters that are already in Italy. Other half learns about it (and are in Cali) at the last minute, and yet manages to show up in Italy, and have customized fast cars just in the nick of time to rescue the first half.

I'm sorry, I can't go vegetative enough to let that BS pass...

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm sorry, I can't go vegetative enough to let that BS pass...

For sure, everyone has a breaking point.

Personally, I'm a little strange with watching things. I make a conscious decision to watch things and select what I want to watch(I have a list of movies I want to watch this year, both new releases and things I haven't seen yet), and I'm not one to say "wellllll there's nothing else so I'll watch x". If there's nothing else, I just don't watch anything.

The main result of this is that when I sit down to watch a movie, it's because I want to see that movie and I'm present while watching it. There's not a lot of stuff I'll watch and turn my brain off while doing so, but there are some things I'll suspend my disbelief for(bulletproof suits, jumping off buildings, getting hit by cars in John Wick for example) and other things I'll joke about a la Pitch Meeting, "so the movie can happen".

Did we talk about it here or did I see where...

The actor of Thor from avengers marvel is basically like "screw you guys, I'm going to make other movies." 

Is he abandoning marvel or just also making other stuff? 

34 minutes ago, fpo said:

The actor of Thor from avengers marvel is basically like "screw you guys, I'm going to make other movies." 

If we've talked about it, I missed it. I imagine he's just trying to not be typecast as Thor, and is going to do other things. I don't believe there's any animosity anywhere.

OTOH, wasn't his character replaced in the last movie, with a female Thor? 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If we've talked about it, I missed it. I imagine he's just trying to not be typecast as Thor, and is going to do other things. I don't believe there's any animosity anywhere.

OTOH, wasn't his character replaced in the last movie, with a female Thor? 

No, Love and Thunder was a weird collection of nonsense for the entire movie.

Except for like 4 scenes involving the antagonist.

TL;DR Spoilers:

Spoiler

Natalie portman has cancer, but then the hammer of thor chooses to reassemble itself and cure her cancer, but then it drains her life force when she uses the hammer.

Natalie portman from the first thor movie as his "not girlfriend" or whatever.

And then she dies.

2 hours ago, fpo said:

Don't recall seeing that here.

I wouldn't mind if he up and left Marvel, personally. I've quite enjoyed other things Chris Hemsworth has done. 12 Strong and Extraction were both excellent films.

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Can't blame him, they basically reverted any character development he had.

Immature and unworthy of being the God of Thunder and ruler of Asgard > grows to be worthy > Ragnarok/Infinity War start reverting him back to an immature meme of himself, followed a depressive meme > needs to "find himself" again, so he basically starts the same character arc again.

No interest in watching Love and Thunder, but I heard it did no favours.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

34 minutes ago, WildDagwood said:

Can't blame him, they basically reverted any character development he had.

I really liked Thor as a character until Ragnarok/Infinity War.

I haven't seen anything Marvel has put out since Endgame, and the longer I continue this way, the more okay with it I become.

10 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I really liked Thor as a character until Ragnarok/Infinity War.

I haven't seen anything Marvel has put out since Endgame, and the longer I continue this way, the more okay with it I become.

Yeah, basically the same for myself.

Disney is more concerned with pushing their own characters, rather than relying on any form of source material. They should write their own stories if they want to push characters and stories that are contradictory to the original, but I think on some level they know they need the name value as a crutch, and hope they can transform the character perception into what THEY want it to be.

Thus, the cycle of IPs being ruined continues.

Parasoshill

adjective