750w platinum enough for 3080 and 5800x?

Tiniclon

I might be upgrading from a 3060 ti to a 3080 (might work out a deal with a friend). But I only have a 750w psu and a small case so I need a sfx psu so it’s not that easy or cheap to upgrade. I know that 750w will probably be pushing it a bit for a 3080 and ryzen 7 5800x but could it still work and what issues might it bring with it? I also might upgrade from my curent ram to 32 or 16 gb of g.skill 3200mhz cl14 ram since I've had some peformance issues that I belive is related to the ram, would i run in to issues with upgradability since I wont have much overhead on the psu? 

Pc part picker list, I included both my current and the gpu I might upgrade to https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x7fnMb

No issues.

I currently have r7 5800x3d and a 3090 on a 650w SFX psu, zero stability issues, even if I ran both at 100% power limit. 

So while the 5800x draws about 30-40w more than the x3D model, because 3080 usually draws less than 3090 you will have no issues.

Corsair SF750 platinum is a really good psu, and realistically you will have like 300-400w overhead, so you are more than good, even with transient power spikes of the 3000 series nvidia gpus.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I don't mean to pry, but why not wait for a 40 series 60 or 70 card?

They should (hopefully) have the performance you want but with lower power consumption. 

8 minutes ago, iSynthMan said:

They should (hopefully) have the performance you want but with lower power consumption. 

No point really. The 4000 series is off to a really rocky start fps/watt wise, having worse efficiency than 3000 series before it.

Also the 4080 12gb is about the performance of the 3090, so the 4070 would have the performance closer to 3080, 4060 might even be lower than that.

So a good deal on a used 3080 or a 3090 is an infinitely better value than supporting nvidia in their price gauging 4000 series.

Now AMD RDNA 3 might be a difference story, but it is still a month away.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

16 minutes ago, iSynthMan said:

The whole reason I might upgrade is beacuse I can get a good deal with a friend, he has a 3080 but has relized that he would be fine with a 3060 ti so we might switch with me givining him some extra money. Works out great for both of us. Also I'm not in need of a huge upgrade would just be nice to be able to have a bit higher frame rates at a good price/deal 

27 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

No issues.

I currently have r7 5800x3d and a 3090 on a 650w SFX psu, zero stability issues, even if I ran both at 100% power limit. 

So while the 5800x draws about 30-40w more than the x3D model, because 3080 usually draws less than 3090 you will have no issues.

Corsair SF750 platinum is a really good psu, and realistically you will have like 300-400w overhead, so you are more than good, even with transient power spikes of the 3000 series nvidia gpus.

Thanks! This changes a lot, I thought I would need to upgrade my PSU which would make the whole thing to expensive and simply not worth it. Thanks alot 🙂