Laptop - Minutes of delay before post/splash after pressing power button. Eventually starts up

justanoobhere
Go to solution Solved by justanoobhere,
On 10/4/2022 at 9:34 PM, RollyShed said:

"The delay is now as long as 15 minutes." - what do you expect? It is running Windows and a HD. I've had worse than that. If you want it to be usable and fast, replace the HD with an SSD and install Linux Mint. Boot time from totally off should be about 30 seconds... at the most.

If you do as suggested you will get a browser, office suite, sound and video players, plus a lot more.... FREE.

If you want to do a test before installing, burn an iso of Linux Mint to a USB stick and boot it with that. It won't be as fast as an installation on an SSD but at least give you an idea of what it is all about.

It isn't running windows and doesn't have an HDD. Those factors don't matter anyway, because the delay is before any post/splash screen options, not at the OS loading point. I've tried swapping out the OS or removing drives entirely. There aren't any changes. It still takes ages before I can even press F2 to bring up the UEFI options.

Edit Oct 8 2022: I found an old parts supplier nearby and we tested swapping out the battery and adapter. Everything works fine with the change.

The laptop is an old Toshiba P75-A7200. After pressing the power button, the speakers pop every second and several minutes go by before a Press F2 option is available to enter the UEFI settings.

I've reset CMOS and replaced the battery, reset BIOS settings, disconnected peripherals and removed the CD tray, tried powering on with only the battery, tried powering on with only the power cord, etc.

Originally, the delay would last 10-30 seconds. The delay is now as long as 15 minutes. 

My guess is that this is a power issue, but I'm unsure of how to narrow it down to battery or cord if one of those is the problem. The battery reports 100% charge.

Is there any way to test this, short of finding a new power adapter?

1 hour ago, justanoobhere said:

The laptop is an old Toshiba P75-A7200. After pressing the power button, the speakers pop every second and several minutes go by before a Press F2 option is available.

Originally, the delay would last 10-30 seconds. The delay is now as long as 15 minutes. 

My guess is that this is a power issue, but I'm unsure of how to narrow it down to battery or cord if one of those is the problem. The battery reports 100% charge.

Is there any way to test this, short of finding a new power adapter?

"The delay is now as long as 15 minutes." - what do you expect? It is running Windows and a HD. I've had worse than that. If you want it to be usable and fast, replace the HD with an SSD and install Linux Mint. Boot time from totally off should be about 30 seconds... at the most.

If you do as suggested you will get a browser, office suite, sound and video players, plus a lot more.... FREE.

If you want to do a test before installing, burn an iso of Linux Mint to a USB stick and boot it with that. It won't be as fast as an installation on an SSD but at least give you an idea of what it is all about.

On 10/4/2022 at 9:34 PM, RollyShed said:

It isn't running windows and doesn't have an HDD. Those factors don't matter anyway, because the delay is before any post/splash screen options, not at the OS loading point. I've tried swapping out the OS or removing drives entirely. There aren't any changes. It still takes ages before I can even press F2 to bring up the UEFI options.

Edit Oct 8 2022: I found an old parts supplier nearby and we tested swapping out the battery and adapter. Everything works fine with the change.

13 minutes ago, justanoobhere said:

It isn't running windows and doesn't have an HDD.

Maybe these things should have been noted in the first message. Basically a "how long is this piece of string" type question.