should I be worried about my graphics card

RippedPC

I was watching TikTok and came across a video of a guy cable routing his pc to lift the gpu up a tiny bit with the 6pin or 8 pins I don't know.

anyhow I forgot to switch the power supply off before taking out the pcie power connector (note pc was not turned on) and a red light came up on my Asus 3080

I obviously then quickly shut off the switch and it went away put in the connectors after routing it and it seemed okay but I'm not sure 

should I be worried about what I did...

3 minutes ago, RippedPC said:

I was watching TikTok and came across a video of a guy cable routing his pc to lift the gpu up a tiny bit with the 6pin or 8 pins I don't know.

anyhow I forgot to switch the power supply off before taking out the pcie power connector (note pc was not turned on) and a red light came up on my Asus 3080

I obviously then quickly shut off the switch and it went away put in the connectors after routing it and it seemed okay but I'm not sure 

I don't think so. It's probably some leftover current that was feeding the GPU when you unplugged the cables. Switch the PSUoff, plug them back in the way you want to and power it on. It depends on the case if I route the GPU power cable above or below the GPU. I try above as often as I can to combine the cable with the ATX 24 pin.

3 minutes ago, Naijin said:

I don't think so. It's probably some leftover current that was feeding the GPU when you unplugged the cables. Switch the PSUoff, plug them back in the way you want to and power it on. It depends on the case if I route the GPU power cable above or below the GPU. I try above as often as I can to combine the cable with the ATX 24 pin.

yeah that's a pretty good idea. was super scared cause I just bought this and thought I might have wrecked my gpu or something cause I forgot to switch off the thing on the back of psu

39 minutes ago, RippedPC said:

The GPU should be fine.

Although if you want to lift the sagging part a bit, I wouldn't advice using the PCIe cable. (I assume this is what the tiktok video was about).

Since the terminal in used for PCIe cable isn't the toughest thing out there, and most often it results in a very extreme bend as well.
Just buy a GPU stand, or DIY using a steel sling rope or something.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

The red light is likely just an indicator that the video card is having it's pcie power cables disconnected.

I get it, it seems like a good idea to use cables to help support the card but personally I would worry about the connections on the card and worry they may get loose possibly over time. Anything can help to function to support the GPU even a piece of branch from a tree. Yes, such things literally grows on trees. Just clean off anything that may become loose, cut it to size and put it under there.

2 hours ago, RippedPC said:

This seems a bit pointless. But if you want to do it then go for it I guess. Probably won't cause any damage either.

Although, if you are this scared about breaking things in your PC then I would recommend against advice you see in videos on for example TikTok you Youtube.

anyhow I forgot to switch the power supply off before taking out the pcie power connector (note pc was not turned on)

It is not necessary to turn the power button off on the power supply. As long as the PC is turned off, you are fine.

and a red light came up on my Asus 3080

A red light could mean anything. It is not necessarily bad. It could just mean "I get electricity".

If everything seems okay then why should you be worried?

I see this quite often and I never really understand why. You are not the only one who asks questions like these so I hope you don't feel like I am attacking you specifically here but I mean... If the PC works then why worry? What do you think could have happened that wouldn't show an issue right away? If something like a graphics card breaks then your PC will most likely not start up at all.

3 hours ago, RippedPC said:

That isn't the best thing to do to help with GPU sag, because you could damage the PCIe power connector on the card. The best way to stabilize your GPU would be to put something under it to prop it up.