Looking for Build Advice

MavStevens

Budget (including currency): $1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games like Deathloop, Stray, and Cyberpunk 2077 at high settings

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Upgrading from a ROG Strix G gaming laptop running a core i7-9750H CPU and an nVidia Geforce GTX 1650. Looking to run my games at at least 1080p 60Hz. Love to game at 4K but I'm not sure how viable that is at my price point. Planning on using my 4K TV as my monitor (may upgrade to a dedicated monitor at a later point, but for now this would be my setup). It's also been a hot minute since I built my last rig (my last custom built rig ran an AMD Phenom II Quad core 2.4Ghz and a Radeon HD 4890), so I'm honestly a bit rusty, but I've been watching all the old LTT videos to get back up to speed. I just need some pointers to help me tone it down from "Dream Rig" to "rig that does what I need it to for a good price"

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HDHZrD

Pretty much best bang for buck you can get under $1000, although I'd try to find used 6800 XT, maybe around $500.

This could do 4k but barely, turn down some settings and it should be fine.

Case is very subjective, so I'll leave that to you.

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-214-XT 68.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $959.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-28 03:43 EDT-0400

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

I'm an AMD guy, this is my best shot for $1000ish... Could go with a slightly cheaper case to add some storage, 1TB WD Black can be had for about $40.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/An0maly1976/saved/bXcspg

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I'm an AMD guy, this is my best shot for $1000ish... Could go with a slightly cheaper case to add some storage, 1TB WD Black can be had for about $40.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/An0maly1976/saved/bXcspg

Huh only 1 stick of RAM ? From an AMD fanboi ? 😄

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Huh only 1 stick of RAM ? From an AMD fanboi ? 😄

Cheapest 16GB I could find guaranteed to work with the board. At least it's not 8GB. I'd prefer 32, but budget is budget. I started to go with a 1660ti and more RAM, but when I saw they were upgrading from a 1650, I'm like, "Nah..."

@PDifolcoAlso, while I could recommend the AMD RX cards for budget constraints, my information on them is scant and indicates Invidia is a safer bet for performance, so I don't want to recommend what I'm not familiar with.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

28 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Cheapest 16GB I could find guaranteed to work with the board. At least it's not 8GB. I'd prefer 32, but budget is budget. I started to go with a 1660ti and more RAM, but when I saw they were upgrading from a 1650, I'm like, "Nah..."

@PDifolcoAlso, while I could recommend the AMD RX cards for budget constraints, my information on them is scant and indicates Invidia is a safer bet for performance, so I don't want to recommend what I'm not familiar with.

But this 1 stick of 2400MT RAM is real crap and won' t work well on AM4

re GPU the AMD RX are to the contrary rather better performing than their NV counterparts, but they lack on the software side and suck at RT (which isn't a concern on budget cards anyway)

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

56 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

But this 1 stick of 2400MT RAM is real crap and won' t work well on AM4

re GPU the AMD RX are to the contrary rather better performing than their NV counterparts, but they lack on the software side and suck at RT (which isn't a concern on budget cards anyway)

While it may seem like real crap to you, it's one of the few options listed for the board that I can actually find available. I prefer Patriot Viper-series, but PCPartPicker is slipping on listing availability, and the few of those options I can find piecemeal, are unavailable, or out of stock with no indication of restock. *shrugs* I do what I can do. 

No offense, but I don't try to shoot holes in others' suggestions, and I prefer if others don't shoot holes in mine.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

23 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

While it may seem like real crap to you, it's one of the few the few options listed for the board that I can actually find available. I prefer Patriot Viper-series, but PCPartPicker is slipping on listing availability, and the few of those options I can find piecemeal, are unavailable, or out of stock with no indication of restock. *shrugs* I do what I can do. 

No offense, but I don't try to shoot holes in others' suggestions, and I prefer if others don't shoot holes in mine.

I agree on principle, but when you see something you feel bad advice you're tempted to step in...No offense intended

Now to get back on track a $1000 AMD build could look like this for me :

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fFzdgb

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($173.99 @ MemoryC) 
CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-214-XT 68.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($57.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 309 Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cougar Archon 2 Mesh RGB ATX Mid Tower Case  ($47.67 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 PE 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1004.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-09-28 05:14 EDT-0400

Yeah, but when I think there is a better option, I simply state what I think is a better option. What I don't do, is call out others  labeling their suggestions as bad advice. Just saying, not cool.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wm2JRv this is the build I currently have set up. I know it's over my budget projection a bit, but I'm also buying whatever I can used. How big of a performance gain would I get going Radeon instead of nVidia? I know software support for nVidia is a bit better, so if the performance gain isn't huge I'd be happy sticking with them (my 1650 hasn't let me down yet. Except with Deathloop. And that's my own fault for not verifying how much VRAM the game needed x x)