PC post error, doesn't show drives in boot options, but does in bios and windows install.

Bob Kelso

Hello!

Sorry if anyone has had this issue before, but this is new to me, and I am stumped. My motherboard did not shut down when I shut down my system, requiring me to hold down the power button to shut it off after about 5 minutes of waiting. On bootup, I get an error code of HDD 02 post failure. It then goes into bios where you do not see either of the nvme drives on the boot options, but you do see them in the nvme configuration page. I have taken both out and replaced them with an ssd, and I get the same code. Again, like with the nvme drives, in the bios the ssd did not show on boot options either, but it did show in the hdd/ssd information page. When I use a usb to try to boot to windows to reinstall, it would show both the nvme drives, and also the ssd when I had that one only installed. When I would try to install windows it would freeze no matter what drive I had in, typically on step 2, getting files ready for installation. I have tried flashing an older bios version to see if that would help, as well as flashing the current bios version multiple times to no improvement. I have tried using different display port cables, only having nothing but a mouse and keyboard plugged in with no other devices connected. 

I have even went as far as purchasing a new mobo to see if it was mine, but the outcome has been the same. The only difference is on the initial boot of the new motherboard, it DID show both nvme drives. When I went to install windows, it froze again, and on reboot both drives were missing from the boot options again. System specs are below. If anyone has any idea what could be the issue, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

System:

AMD 5900X

Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Formula

G.Skill 32GB TridentZ Ram

Evga Supernova 1000 G+

Evga 1080 Ti FTW3

Replaced mobo - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

A wild guess, unplug the computer, remove the CMOS battery, wait about 2 minutes, it really doesn't need that much time, but wait anyhow as it doesn't hurt.

Then reinsert battery and restart the computer, this resets the BIOS back to the factory original, except your BIOS will be the one you last used.

You will have to go back into the BIOS and remake any changes that you made, but ONLY AFTER everything is working.

If you removed the BIOS update reapply and after booting check that all drivers have been updated. This step isn't really necessary, but I do it simply for peace of mind.