What do I do? (CPU cooler mounting)

E.K

Hey LTT so I have recently have the idea to upgrade my CPU cooler since it has been overheating previously and I just left my computer off for quite some time. I just haven't found the courage to do it myself, With school and sporting curriculum I also haven't found the time to actually purchase the cooler I need. I have actually left my system off for some time and it just sits in my room collecting dust so since school holidays started (I'm Australian) I think it is a good time to do changes to my system. I've found what type of cooler I want which is the MA624 Stealth Dual Tower air cooler from cooler master and currently in my system right now is some sort of corsair AIO. So the main question is, When I mount my Cooler what do I do with the motherboard? I've seen in tutorials of the cooler being placed on and I always see the motherboard out of the case? Can I do it with the motherboard still in the case?

I also just want to say that this system is a brought system from Facebook so I just want to let you know.

Thanks.

Chances are, that AIO pump is getting weak and causing the overheating. Some systems also somehow are known to 'evaporate' coolant and get air in the system that can cause this as well. I personally don't recommend liquid cooling. My 5900X does just fine with its Scythe Mugen 5 tower air cooler and six 120mm case fans.

This process can vary, based on the cooler, case and motherboard. You may have to remove the motherboard from the case for ease of access, and you'll need thermal paste for the new cooler. Some aftermarket coolers come with paste, I recommend Corsair XT150, it works well. Also, while some coolers can use stock cooler brackets supplied with the board, others supply a custom motherboard bracket because the stock bracket can't line up with its design, or to avoid clearance issues with other components. Instructions that come with the cooler will show whether a specific bracket is required. Most include brackets for AMD or Intel, some do not include brackets for both. Also, LGA115x may use a different bracket than, say, an LGA1200.

If removal of the motherboard from the case is necessary for ease of access, be sure to set it on bubble wrap or cardboard, something to cushion it to prevent physical damage.

As for installation, it's pretty simple. Remove any screws securing the existing cooler's plate to the motherboard bracket. Carefully use a razor blade to work through the thermal paste between the cooler plate and CPU lid. This stuff can be pretty sticky and stubborn, so be patient and take your time.

Once the cooler plate is free of  the CPU lid, remove the cooler. At this point, it might be a good idea to carefully remove any thermal paste remnants from the CPU. You can either leave it installed and use a vacuum or compressed air to blow out the debris, or remove it to do this away from everything, but if you do, be sure to cushion the contact side with bubble wrap or something else that will prevent bent pins. DO NOT TOUCH THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CPU, fingerprint oil can cause a lot of problems.

Once the CPU is cleaned, reinstall it. If the new cooler requires custom brackets, you should install them at this time. Most are a two-piece design minimum, with a plate beneath the motherboard that the cooler mount side screws to through existing holes in the motherboard. Remove any plastic sheeting or protective coating from the new cooler's base plate and clean it thoroughly, preferably with isopropyl alcohol. The proper technique for thermal paste application may vary by processor, but for AM4, I use three dots in a triangle center mast -- easy does it, a dab or two'll do ya. Set the cooler's mounting plate carefully on the CPU lid, taking care to line up any screw or bolt holes for the bracket.

As you tighten the mounting bolts or screws, some excess paste may squeeze out from between. Keep an eye on this, and clean the excess as it comes, you don't want this getting everywhere.

If the motherboard had to be removed, reinstall it and reconnect any required connections. Connect any fans supplied with the cooler to your CPU_FAN connector (not the AIO_PUMP connector), two-fan coolers may need a splitter cable for this, as most motherboards only have one CPU_FAN header connector. I've never messed with AIO, but I suspect the AIO_PUMP connector is not a suitable substitute for a second fan connection.

If replacing with another liquid cooling system, some require assembly of the tubes. Filling the system will likely require purging air, which will take some time. At this point, you should be done.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!