ProTools + Focusrite + Headphones = 1/2 inputs working?

So. I record a podcast with my 3 of my buddies. At this point it's just random conversations. Got a FocusRite Scarlett 18i8 (4 XLR inputs), 4 dynamic mics with stands and pop filters, XLR cables, and the necessary stuff to hook up the FocusRite to protools on my M1 MacBook Air. I plug my AKG K361 headphones into the 1st of the 2 headphone outputs, and hit record and we just go. But I have this problem where during recording, I can only hear 2 of the mic inputs in my headphones. I don't know if it's just that the headphones only play stuff from channels 1 & 2 or what, but it's been a consistent problem. I can only hear 2 of our 4 mics during live recording in my headphones. It pretty important to me to have all of them, so I can set levels, turn people up, mute them etc. I don't know how to fix this. The issue could be in ProTools, or in the FocusRite settings app, but it's all a little more complicated than I know how to figure. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, theogBiGJOE said:

So. I record a podcast with my 3 of my buddies. At this point it's just random conversations. Got a FocusRite Scarlett 18i8 (4 XLR inputs), 4 dynamic mics with stands and pop filters, XLR cables, and the necessary stuff to hook up the FocusRite to protools on my M1 MacBook Air. I plug my AKG K361 headphones into the 1st of the 2 headphone outputs, and hit record and we just go. But I have this problem where during recording, I can only hear 2 of the mic inputs in my headphones. I don't know if it's just that the headphones only play stuff from channels 1 & 2 or what, but it's been a consistent problem. I can only hear 2 of our 4 mics during live recording in my headphones. It pretty important to me to have all of them, so I can set levels, turn people up, mute them etc. I don't know how to fix this. The issue could be in ProTools, or in the FocusRite settings app, but it's all a little more complicated than I know how to figure. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

“Two headphone outputs”.  So you’re plugging into this focus right analog (and I assume DAC ) thing.  Could be this thing was originally supposed to be two stereo inputs. That would make the headphone thing make sense.  Kinda curious if the other headphone output produces the other two channels. This sounds like it could be an analog mixing thing. You’d likely hear each channel out of opposing ears.  If you plug in on the digital side you may get the full mix down.  There may also be a way to set the input for those other headphones.  I assume there is a manual for the device somewhere. A channel is mono.  Stereo requires two channels.  It’s entirely possible you’re running stereo mics, so you’re actually producing 8 channels of audio.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.