8gb isnt enough anymore

thats unnecessary, i can play gta iv and render video and have chrome open and have fah open and only get 6gb used.

but i will get 8 more gigabytes for aesthetics

Well, the more RAM you have, the more RAM programs use...

I have 6GB and i.e LoL uses 800MB + 400MB for launcher.

My friend has 8GB and for him it uses 1,2GB + 400MB (Guessing the Launcher isn't bigger than 400MB)

But yeah, lately RAM's been running out fast. Last time I had had my computer on for longer than 10h, I only had about 100MB of free memory left. Next year I'ma be going for 64GB (Yeah, that much might be overkill. But overkill is what I'm going for so... + RAM is cheap as hell.)

Not true. It's dependent on startup programs, applications being run, etc.

I usually use less than 2gb on my bowser and other applications. So I think that the remaining 6gb will be enough to run a game.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Whatever I'm doing on my computer, I always have a gazillion chrome tabs open so I go over 8gb quite frequently.

Unfortunately, RAM isn't particularly affordable right now. The thing is, by the time we need more than 8 GB for gaming, if at all, DDR4 will be widespread. So no, I wouldn't bother going over 8 GB for a gaming oriented machine at this point. DDR3 will be obsolete soon enough. 

Got 4gb ram in my laptop that i just use for school work and web browsing and i often use all of it :/I

i had 8 Gb in my gaming rig that wasn't enough due to me being lazy and never close programs, rendering while playing etc.. so i bought a 16Gb kit right before the ram prices went up, and i usually use 8-12 Gb.

Main Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K @4.7Ghz, Noctua NH-U12s, Asus z68 V-Pro, Evga GTX 970, Samsung EVO 250Gb, Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600 MHz 16GB,fractal design define r3, XFX XXX 850W

Laptop: Clevo w230st, 13.3" 1080p screen,  CPU intel i5 4200M(Someone want's to donate a i7-4700qm? :P), 8gb ram 1600Mhz, Geforce gtx 765m, SSD: mSata Evo 120Gb(still room for one more), HHD: 1Tb 7200rpm, 

Not true. It's dependent on startup programs, applications being run, etc.

Say "not true" all you want. I saw what I saw and observation trumps most arguments. I don't have screenshots so if you don't want to believe me... believe what you want.

I'm not talking about how much his machine was using as a whole. I was talking about how much that one certain application was using at the time. We were in the same game, in a LAN-party and I was curious so I had a look in his process-list to see the difference.

Say "not true" all you want. I saw what I saw and observation trumps most arguments. I don't have screenshots so if you don't want to believe me... believe what you want.

I'm not talking about how much his machine was using as a whole. I was talking about how much that one certain application was using at the time. We were in the same game, in a LAN-party and I was curious so I had a look in his process-list to see the difference.

Sure you were making observations, but you're comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't make sense that the more RAM you have, the more you'll use under identical environments. You could have easily had different settings enabled, and had been in different locations in-game. There are a ton of variables.

y everyone still talkin Bout this xD

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

y everyone still talkin Bout this xD

cuz *-*

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

4gb 1333mhz for the win!

Sure you were making observations, but you're comparing apples to oranges. It doesn't make sense that the more RAM you have, the more you'll use under identical environments. You could have easily had different settings enabled, and had been in different locations in-game. There are a ton of variables.

Nope, we have highest options, both of us. We were both waiting to help the jungler kill wolves (If you're familiar with LoL..) Both on Win 7 Professional 64bit. Either way, tiny variables won't account for that big of a difference in memory usage.

If anything I'm comparing two apples of the same sort just different sizes.

It makes a lot of sense that a program can use more space if it has more space. I'm sure the difference doesn't get that much bigger. I mean, I think getting 8GB over 6GB might let LoL take some more memory. But maybe upgrading from 8GB to 16GB won't double it, I don't know.. I only know for certain that having 8GB will make LoL use 50% more memory than if you have 6GB.

Nope, we have highest options, both of us. We were both waiting to help the jungler kill wolves (If you're familiar with LoL..) Both on Win 7 Professional 64bit. Either way, tiny variables won't account for that big of a difference in memory usage.

If anything I'm comparing two apples of the same sort just different sizes.

It makes a lot of sense that a program can use more space if it has more space. I'm sure the difference doesn't get that much bigger. I mean, I think getting 8GB over 6GB might let LoL take some more memory. But maybe upgrading from 8GB to 16GB won't double it, I don't know.. I only know for certain that having 8GB will make LoL use 50% more memory than if you have 6GB.

Even if they were to use more memory, it's not like frame rates are affected at all. 32-bit games can only use up to 4GB, which is the vast majority of them.

/request close

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I currently have 4gb, but have been running into the limits when I do work with Photoshop or video editing, so my next pc I'm going to fill the bugger with 32gb  :)

Might be a bit overkill but one thing I really like on the Amiga was the Ram Disk icon where you can store files and edit them off the ram disk and its so god dam quick, I only found out though I think one of linus videos that AMD made a program that can turn your Ram into this classic feature so that is something that I plan to do in my next build. 

I'm fine with 8gb one my gaming desktop, but I haven't got the most up to date games... so yeah

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

You'd only really need more than 8GB if you're into content editing/creation (in which case memory is never enough). Or if you're going to run HEAVILY modded games.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

im getting 16 because im going extreme series

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Locked as per OP's request.