Computer is booting to bios.

Cringe123

Hello. I installed a new nvme ssd yesterday and I got it running fine. I just went to turn off my computer about 20 minutes ago but my computer kept on just going back to the windows login screen instead of shutting down. I eventually just held the power button down. I wanted to start it up again to see if it would do the same thing again, but now the pc just boots to bios no matter what I do. I looked in the boot list but I just see all the UEFI options and not my ssd. I removed the ssd and put it back in and that didn't work. It just boots to bios. Does anyone know what it might be? Thanks.

I have just noticed. Both my drives are showing up in the bios, just not in the boot list. Very odd as it was working fine and has randomly stopped. The BOOT light is on on my motherboard. The computer also booted into my windows install USB stick fine so I'm confused.

Do you have an M.2 installed? Some boards will disable certain SATA ports with an M.2 installed, though I should think this would have prevented a successful boot in the first place.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

likely a corrupted boot sector. Try windows startup repair?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Power it up and try to spam the F8 key, it will usually lead to the startup options screen and you want to launch start up repair.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

On 9/12/2022 at 3:25 AM, wolfmcbeard said:

Power it up and try to spam the F8 key, it will usually lead to the startup options screen and you want to launch start up repair.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but it didnt seem to work. In the end I wiped the whole drive (I had only used it for a day so it had a fresh install anyway) and reinstalled. The drive is showing up fine now and is working. Thanks