How Many Cables??

LUA

I'm in the process of building a computer for the first time. So far I have almost everything, including case, cpu, gpu, hard drive, RAM, and power supply, and I'm waiting for the mother board to arrive today (MSI PRO B660-A). The power supply I chose was the EVGA 650 G6 80plus. My question is, out of all cables(which are many) that came with the power supply, how many of them will I need to have plugged into either the motherboard and/or panels? And which ones I don't need. I have the feeling that some plugs/cables that come with the power supply are left unused. This is what the plugs on the power supply are (see attached picture). Also a side question, the fans that come with the case, 3 fans on the front and one fan on the back, they have their own cables, one has a 4pin female and the other has 3pin female as well; where in the motherboard/power supply do they go? Thank you so much for reading, and any help is appreciated.

power supply.png

9 minutes ago, LUA said:

My question is, out of all cables(which are many) that came with the power supply, how many of them will I need to have plugged into either the motherboard and/or panels? And which ones I don't need.

It really depends of your hardware. Both MB and CPU are necessary to plug onto the motherboard.

Please provide us the complete specs as to make all of us easier to answer your question.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 minute ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

It really depends of your hardware. Both MB and CPU are necessary to plug onto the motherboard.

Please provide us the complete specs as to make all of us easier to answer your question.

Sure thing.

- EVGA Supernova 650 G6, 80 Plus Gold 650W

- Western Digital 500GB WD Blue SN570 NVMe

Zalman I3 NEO ATX Computer Case

XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600

Silicon Power Value Gaming DDR4 RAM 16GB (8GBx2)

MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 Motherboard

Intel Core i5 Core 12400F

My only concern with building my first PC is where do I plug the wide array of cables that come with the PC parts, specially the power supply and case panels, and which I won't need. Thank you in advance.

17 minutes ago, LUA said:

My question is, out of all cables(which are many) that came with the power supply, how many of them will I need to have plugged into either the motherboard and/or panels?

Just 2. The 10+18 pin MB on the PSU to 24 pin on the motherboard and the 8 pin CPU on the PSU to 8 pin CPU on the motherboard.

19 minutes ago, LUA said:

Also a side question, the fans that come with the case, 3 fans on the front and one fan on the back, they have their own cables, one has a 4pin female and the other has 3pin female as well; where in the motherboard/power supply do they go?

You connect them to the CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN headers on the motherboard.

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Just 2. The 10+18 pin MB on the PSU to 24 pin on the motherboard and the 8 pin CPU on the PSU to 8 pin CPU on the motherboard.

You connect them to the CHA_FAN or SYS_FAN headers on the motherboard.

Got it, thanks. And thank you so much for your help.

The GPU comes with its own plug that has a 8 hole connector on top of the GPU itself. Where does that go plugged into?

3 minutes ago, LUA said:

The GPU comes with its own plug that has a 8 hole connector on top of the GPU itself. Where does that go plugged into?

VGA1 or VGA2 on the PSU.

3 minutes ago, LUA said:

Got it, thanks. And thank you so much for your help.

Yes you need your two motherboard cables to power the computer, but your GPU won't show anything without a power cable running to it. Typically they give you an error message and that's it without a power cord. You need to plug the video card to the VGA 1 or 2 ports on the power supply.

By the way they are keyed in certain ways so that you can't mess up which wire goes where (based on the label on the back of the PSU).

Just now, --SID-- said:

VGA1 or VGA2 on the PSU.

Nice. One last question. The fan on the back has a 3pin female plug and all of the SYS_FAN have 4pin male plugs (I don't have any CHA_FAN). Can I just plug the 3pin in the 4pin plug even if 1 pin is left out? Or is this not the way?

1 minute ago, LUA said:

Nice. One last question. The fan on the back has a 3pin female plug and all of the SYS_FAN have 4pin male plugs (I don't have any CHA_FAN). Can I just plug the 3pin in the 4pin plug even if 1 pin is left out? Or is this not the way?

It's fine and it'll works, as the fan itself doesn't support PWM apparently.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

3 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

It's fine and it'll works, as the fan itself doesn't support PWM apparently.

Thank you. That was all the questions I had.

14 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

VGA1 or VGA2 on the PSU.

Do you I need any SATA cable plugged into the MB for an M.2 drive only?

25 minutes ago, LUA said:

Do you I need any SATA cable plugged into the MB for an M.2 drive only?

Nope. The m.2 drives go directly into the MB. 🙂

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD