USB seems corrupt and is not being recognized by the pc

DahnevG

I bought a USB 3.0 around 5 years ago, I had a entry level laptop at that time and then I got the change to upgrade my computer to a better one and I decided to use the USB to transfer my most important files and when I was transferring my files from the old laptop to the USB, my computer got stacked in the process and I wait for around 30 minutes to see if the transferring continue but it did not. all the computer was stacked and I couldn't even turn it off so I just unplugged the USB and manually turned off the laptop afterwards. Then I connected the USB to the new computer and everything seemed ok, the files that I care the most were there and others less important did not transfer to the usb. I started to transfer the files to my new pc but during the process it got stacked and then the USB stopped responding and then it disconnected by itself. I tried again a few times but the outcome was always the same, it stopped responding and eventually it disconnects. I was able to navigate through the folders and see the all files without any problem but when I specifically go to one folder it always stopped responding and eventually disconnects. With the time it got only worse. Now I cannot even see the files on my usb because as soon as I connected the file explorer stops working and it doesn't even let me see the files anymore. It always appears for a few seconds on my pc and then it disconnects. It doesn't even show me how much storage space is being used. Is there a way I can fix the usb without losing any data or formatting the usb? Is there a software or tool that I could use to finally recover those files? Thank you so much in advance for the help.

Desktop Screenshot 2022.08.26 - 15.01.10.51.png

Desktop Screenshot 2022.08.26 - 15.01.27.23.png

Strange that it would assign a drive letter of A:. I haven't seen that in years, that's an old MS-DOS means of recognizing floppy drives (magnetic removable media disks if you're not familiar). Usually a USB flash drive (I presume that's what you're referring to) would be recognized as any letter after the existing drives (D: E: F:, etc). If you don't actually have more than one drive on your system, perhaps the D: and E: are actually your drive, and Windows is being stupid about addressing it.

In any case, it sounds like the drive itself is indeed corrupt. You could try letting Windows repair it with it connected on a restart, but no guarantees. If it is corrupt, there may be other ways to recover the data that I wouldn't be familiar with. Hopefully someone will chime in. @Poinkachu, you got any other ideas here?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Strange that it would assign a drive letter of A:. I haven't seen that in years, that's an old MS-DOS means of recognizing floppy drives (magnetic removable media disks if you're not familiar). Usually a USB flash drive (I presume that's what you're referring to) would be recognized as any letter after the existing drives (D: E: F:, etc).

In any case, it sounds like the drive itself is indeed corrupt. You could try letting Windows repair it with it connected on a restart, but no guarantees. If it is corrupt, there may be other ways to recover the data that I wouldn't be familiar with. Hopefully someone will chime in. @Poinkachu, you got any other ideas here?

Erh, IIRC, the last time I dealt with that kinda error I ended up throwing away the flashdisk to the void and bought new one.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Erh, IIRC, the last time I dealt with that kinda error I ended up throwing away the flashdisk to the void and bought new one.

Thank you so much for your response, If there is any way to at least try to fix I am willing to try it out. Please if anything comes to mind tell me.

Just now, DahnevG said:

Thank you so much for your response, If there is any way to at least try to fix I am willing to try it out. Please if anything comes to mind tell me.

Try plugging other flashdisk in, or try plugging the problem flashdisk in other pc.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I just tried sfc /scannow in the command prompt but it did not work.

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Try plugging other flashdisk in, or try plugging the problem flashdisk in other pc.

Ok, Ill try it right now on another pc

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I did it and it appear with the letter D: and a message said "please insert a disk into USB Drive (D:).

since the moment I plug it in the pc it seems like it is disconnected.

Desktop Screenshot 2022.08.26 - 15.29.46.35.png

9 minutes ago, DahnevG said:

I did it and it appear with the letter 😧 and a message said "please insert a disk into USB Drive (D:).

Urh, chances are you are going to have to forsake the files in it. (Pretty sure the flash drive currently in RAW form)
You can try using data recovery softwares.
I don't know any good free one though.

Refresh before you reply

3 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Urh, chances are you are going to have to forsake the files in it. (Pretty sure the flash drive currently in RAW form)
You can try using data recovery softwares.
I don't know any good free one though.

Which one would you recommend?

1 minute ago, DahnevG said:

Which one would you recommend?

Never used them, really.
Maybe try : https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/recover-raw-drive.htm

Refresh before you reply